What's new

SmokeMonster

Champion
Reaction score
I posted my Tekken 2 recap a while ago, so here is Tekken 3 (Update: I've also posted my Tekken Tag Tournament Restoration). I replaced the SMDs with long-life 105C rated electrolytics. These pictures were taken before I replaced the missing 5R6K component, but after recapping it. I also cleaned the PCBs and replaced the thermal compound on the heat-sinks with Arctic Silver ceramic paste. I also swapped out the original battery for a replaceable cr2032 battery holder.

I picked it up for $30/shipped because of the video problems related to the missing 5R6K and a messed up jamma edge that I fixed.

Last edited:
I picked this board up for a similar price. It works nicely. Also picked up Tekken 2 when I bought a ton of cabs from an operator that was dumping his stock. My Tekken 2 board has a funky green and red line tri-secting my image. It bothers me to death that this does not seem to be an easy repair. I'd hate to dump it.

What specs are the caps that you replaced? is there a link somewhere? Or did you just do it the hard way?

I picked this board up for a similar price. It works nicely. Also picked up Tekken 2 when I bought a ton of cabs from an operator that was dumping his stock. My Tekken 2 board has a funky green and red line tri-secting my image. It bothers me to death that this does not seem to be an easy repair. I'd hate to dump it.

What specs are the caps that you replaced? is there a link somewhere? Or did you just do it the hard way?
I used caps that I had on hand already from bulk orders through Digikey. There isn't a cap chart online that I know of, but all of the values are printed on top of the original SMD caps.

I noticed that on two of my System 11/12 boards, the caps were so bad that there were just falling off. I've also noticed missing caps on 11/12 boards posted for sale at KLOV, like this one. These boards have terrible capacitors from the factory, the worst I've ever seen in any electronics ever. My guess is that a full recap might solve your problems. If you post some high-res pictures of your board, I might be able to diagnose it better.

I used caps that I had on hand already from bulk orders through Digikey. There isn't a cap chart online that I know of, but all of the values are printed on top of the original SMD caps.
I noticed that on two of my System 11/12 boards, the caps were so bad that there were just falling off. I've also noticed missing caps on 11/12 boards posted for sale at KLOV, like this one. These boards have terrible capacitors from the factory, the worst I've ever seen in any electronics ever. My guess is that a full recap might solve your problems. If you post some high-res pictures of your board, I might be able to diagnose it better.
Will do it shortly. Thanks!

Here is a link to the album. Added some screens to show the artifacts I am seeing. Thanks!

Last edited:
Here is a link to the album. Added some screens to show the artifacts I am seeing. Thanks!
I was hoping to see something obvious, but nothing catches my eye. It looks like there aren't any lifted SMD caps at least.

Have you tried adjusting rv70 on the top board? That is a video level adjustment pot. Also double check that none of the SMD caps are loose. I've seen 11/12 boards where an SMD cap is just hanging on from one solder.

The board is pretty dirty, but I don't think that would result in the problem you are seeing. It wouldn't hurt to give it a good wash though. Also try reseating the rom sub-PCB and the socketed chips.

Haven't adjusted the pot. Wasn't aware there was one. Will do that now. Caps all seem tight, but I'll give it another once over to be sure. It definitely needs the Simple Green treatment. As do all the PCB's I picked up recently. By the way, did you guys take advantage of the Home Depot sale on Simple Green a few weeks back? I picked up 2 gallons. Kicking myself for not picking up more. But so far, each IC I have touched without any speciality tools I have wonked a bit. Think I will invest in a good IC puller before I start washing my PCB's.

That's a good plan. I use Dollar Tree's "Mean Green" on my dirtiest boards, followed by liquid soap and a rinse with distilled water. Here is my favorite cheap IC puller.

Adjusting that pot just made the line more prominent as the rest of the image just darkened around it :).

So what caps do I need and where did you get them?

You need to write down the value that's printed on top of each cap and order them from Digikey or Mouser. I'm a little concerned that the problem is not a cap issue though. You might want to post a thread over at KLOV and ask the experts. It could be something more serious like a bad chip.

Top board caps:
Six: 100uF 6V
One: 47uF 16V
Five: 10uF 16V

I can't make out all the values on the main board, but you should be able to identify them if you understand how I got those values above.

I'd start simple and give it a thorough washing. You could luck out and it might just be something as simple as debris in the inter-connectors.

LoLoL. You mean this thread posed to the experts? I was just ready to give up hope until I saw your thread. I ordered two of those IC extractors. I'll give it the Simple Green wash when those arrive. I have three System 11/12 boards (Tekken 2, Tekken 3, and Erghiez) but only two harnesses. Maybe Tekken 2 is the odd man out. Perhaps I can live with it. Throw the board in a test cab before scrapping/selling it for parts.

The before picture. Can you find all four missing caps on the top board? Yes, SMD components literally just fall off the System 12 stuff, it's that shitty. The 5R6K5R6K fell off too... So, if you ever see cheap sys-12 boards listed as "broken", take a look at the seller's pictures and see if you can spot missing SMD components and caps. If so: easy fix :D
IMG_2956.jpg

IMG_2956.jpg

Last edited:
Holy shit, never seen this, any particular reason they fall off?
Will check my system 12 boards if I spot something strange :)

Man, is this one of those boards that operator guy just threw in the back of his van :D
Yeah, you see them very cheap in many auctions. It's like extremely common. Not sure how good was it doing on the arcades. Maybe someone here can shed some light. I'm sure it's no Daytona, but....

Alright I will when I get home I've noticed the legs on the gpu are bent making them touch each other. I think its what its called sorry for my ignorance. Its a square with a lot of little legs it says sony on it. will post some pictures information on it its very limited I cant find enough about it.

Back