What's new

SelfDeniedHoarderz

Professional
Reaction score
I have bought a Sony BVM-D24E1WE CRT and I would like to know how I can connect PC to this CRT via DVI?

I've done some research, it looks like you can buy a DVI to RGB cable from ebay
Some guy on Youtube connected his PC to his Sony PVM however his PC setup has ArcadeVGA card which is safe for the CRT....

however i am not sure if connect directly from GTX90's DVI-D to Sony BVM would cause any damage to the CRT.....
Do i need to buy like a DVI to SDI scaler?.... not even sure what to do.. please advice

Last edited:
I was going to buy one of those from the person where I purchased my BVM and PVM l5 on ebay.. He said that the 24" BVM could be connected directly to a PC using BNC to VGA adapter without issues.. on the PC side, if you have a card with DVI then you need a DVI to VGA adapter. The BVM does 1080i max. I am not sure about connecting directly to DVI but I do not see why it would not work.. Try posting this question at the SHMUPS forum.. That is what those guys specialize on, they are experts on this subject.

At some point I will get one of those 32" beast:).

Last edited:
thanks. just wonder if i need to change resolution on my computer to 1920 x 1080 before connecting it to the BVM?

Monitors like BVM and PVM normally expect composite sync with RGB...
What you typically need is a device like the Extron, feed it VGA from your PC, it will composite the H and V syncs.

I'm doing the same with VGA from a Dreamcast in this pic for the xRGB Mini (which functions the same way)...
DC_480p_XRGB.jpg

Only in your setup you can go directly from the BNC outputs of the Extron to the BVM's input (4 wires only, the 5th isn't used on a composite sync setup).
Now maybe this specific model BVM can work directly with separate syncs (5 wire setup) but this isn't normally (I owned/tested with a 14L5 PVM) the case.

Warning!!!
You can not just bridge VGA pins 13# and 14# together (H+V) to create composite, doing so WILL DAMAGE THE DISPLAY!

That is what those guys specialize on, they are experts on this subject.
I've devoted the last 3 years of my life to the subject... Soon as my Blast CRT died, I knew I had to find a better way (I hate CRTs).

Last edited by a moderator:
I was using one of those with a groovymame setup and a copatible video card that for the 20"PVM and BVM to sync the signal. Not sure if one of those is needed with the 24" BVM. The 24" BVM uses the same CRT as the Sony FW900 and it is made for PC. I am selling one to the person that sold me the NEC he was been looking for one for a while but I am keeping the HP equivalent love the white color.

Jassin you have a point on the CRT cab.. I am not sure what I will do if my CRTs fail on my Egreets.. It is not like I can go to bestbuy and get a replacements. But all and all, I am a CRT lover.. Give me a CRT anytime of the day:)

For the Extron RGB, what model of Extron RGB should I buy? There are like tons of them on ebay, some are very cheap and some could cost you up to $300. Can you please suggest the cheapest model to buy?

when I was looking for one, the SHMUPS guys suggested the RGB 203 Rxi..It has the dual thing that you can adjust the picture. Used they are usually $50 or were when i was looking for one a year ago..

Back