What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
I've been trying to source original Japanese VOOT Joysticks for YEARS (literally) I've lost about half a dozen auctions on YAJ as it seems the price on these keeps skyrocketing (the last few populated candy panels sold on YAJ for around $450, before shipping).

In all my searches I managed to snag 1 stick off of a random eBay listing. I tore it down and took photos so I figured I'd post it up here. Consider the project "idea" figuring out a reproduction or identifying who the original manufacturer is (hint: it's NOT Sanwa or Happ, I'll get to that later).

I was able to tear it apart completely except for the joint parts on the shaft, it looks like they're all just press fit but I didn't want to put too much pressure on them and risk breaking them.

voot_arcade_stick_07.jpg

more detailed photos here: http://solid-orange.com/1229

These were the sticks used in the Twin and the Candy Cabs for VOOT 5.2 through 5.66. The VO Force arcade cab sticks are supposedly the same except for the thumb button, which used a board mounted mechanical switch as opposed to a diaphragm style switch.

Dreamcast home twin sticks use the same grips but are otherwise completely different.

Someone on the Oratan forum recently posted an exploded view photo of the Sanwa Sticks that are used in the Hori Twin-Sticks for the 360 and PS3... they're nice sticks but again, a completely different design than the official arcade sticks:

BsZSJ3qCEAAASxd.jpg

The grips, while a similar ergonomic shape are quite different internally, note the differt style shaft, different locations of the bolt holes and even the wire exit and trigger hinge is different.

These There are basicaly just Sanwa JLJ-PL2-8V 8-way flight sticks with VO style grips:
file.png

Happ made the sticks for the original VO OMG Twin units but they're enormous and not even remotely similar in design to these sticks. I'm not sure who made the sticks in the Saturn, Dreamcast and PC twin sticks or the VO OMG candy sticks (which are different than the twin sticks) but it's not really worth investigating because they all suck
:P

If anyone can lend advice or information about sourcing or reproducing the original Sega VOOT arcade machine sticks or even parts I'd be highly interested.

Back