What's new

streetfighterken

Grand Master
Reaction score
Kind of a painstaking process net booting OR2 in my Crazy Taxi sitdown and I'm still not done I guess.

I'm getting Error 12: JVS I/O board does not fulfill the game spec.

I was under the impression that OR2 is compatible with Crazy Taxi. I haven't read anyone else having this issue. @winteriscoming ?

Attached photo of my JVS board spec.

EDIT: I tried both of the "small" Sega JVS board revisions and same error on both. There's gotta be something else going on. Chihiro dip settings? The only OR2 manual I could find was the Twin version and I used the settings in that. I wonder if there are different settings for the single player version?

So frustrated.

Attachments

• IMG_3980.JPG
    IMG_3980.JPG
    578 KB · Views: 204
  • FullSizeRender 17.jpg
    FullSizeRender 17.jpg
    805.5 KB · Views: 653
Last edited:
all OR2 SP manuals I've seen says it uses 837-13551 IO, which have slightly different specs than yours 13683 (2x2 more switch inputs, 2 less outputs), this probably is significant for this game.

Great. More money and more headache. || Thanks for the tip.

So if I get the correct I/O, how would I go about modding the existing harness to work with it? What are the pinouts for power? Can I leave the analog harness alone at least?

So if I get the correct I/O, how would I go about modding the existing harness to work with it? What are the pinouts for power? Can I leave the analog harness alone at least?
Power Connectors are different from the Sega JVS to JAMMA, but the analog connector is the same. pinout diagrams are have been posted multiple times on this forum and are easy to find with a little searching.

before you go do that though try changing the dip switch on your I/O board. those boards have dip that changes the expansion header between input and output pins and it can make or break compatibility with some games.

if you do need an I/O board I have some Type-3 I/Os for sale.

sorry I meant jumper... but if you've already tried it then I'd suspect that I/O board is a no-go.

I have a 18 Wheeler which i am eventually going to put in OR2. Im following your thread and if i find some free time soon ill make sure to post what i discover.

Well the struggle continues. I'm about ready to murder this set-up. I hit a wall at every step.

I bought the correct I/O on ebay and now I'm getting Error 11: JVS I/O not connected to the main board.

I go into the Chihiro test menu, choose JVS, and NO JAMMA I/O CONNECTED.

The I/O is getting power on CN7 (5v) and CN1 (12v) and I've tried two different USB cables. I see two LEDs on the I/O. One LED is lit red, the other LED is not lit at all.

FYI, I have not hooked up any of the digital connections because I'm still waiting for a JST RA connector in the mail. But if the Chihiro test doesn't see the I/O at all, I assume it doesn't matter.

Do I have a dead I/O or am I missing something stupid?

Which I/O did you buy?

On the Sega I/O boards 12V is just a pass through on the I/O so you don't need it. Hook up just the 5V and confirm that you hear the relay click on and and that you're still getting an LED. Also confirm that your JVS cable is good. you can use any USB A-B cable

But yes, if the JVS is not recognized in the system test then it's not communicating with the main board.

837-13551

The click comes from the I/O? How loud is it? The LED stays lit as long as I have the machine running. My Naomi Crazy Taxi plays fine with the USB cable and I tried a different cable as well just to be sure.

That's a Type 1 I/O. you should only have 1 LED lit up with 5V applied. the click isn't very loud but it comes from the white box on the I/O, it's the power relay; so the click is the electromagnetic switch inside the box as soon as power is applied, you should hear it as soon as it powers on.

if the I/O works on your NAOMI I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work on a Chihiro, have you tested the Type 1 I/O on your NAOMI?

I mean the USB cable works. The whole reason I started this thread was because I didn't know that the sit-down version of Crazy Taxi uses a different I/O than OutRun. I guess I will buy another 13551 to be sure.

Do you not have any other JVS games that you can use to test your 837-13551?

Hook it up to your naomi and see if it tells you the JVS version in the menu. If not it's probably a bad I/O.

Silly question, but you are using a Chihiro Type 3 aren't you and not the Type 1, it just popped into my head when you said you were using a crazy taxi sitdown that it might have been a High Roller with the Type 1 Chihiro and that won't run SP, only the standard Outrun2.

Silly question, but you are using a Chihiro Type 3 aren't you and not the Type 1, it just popped into my head when you said you were using a crazy taxi sitdown that it might have been a High Roller with the Type 1 Chihiro and that won't run SP, only the standard Outrun2.
Naomi Crazy Taxi (vanilla) sitdown. Not High Roller.

I can now successfully net-boot OutRun 2 Special Tours.

The summary is this:

1) It uses the jamma edge-type 13683 IO
2) OR2 requires 13551 IO -- This was the big piece of information that was missing from other people's conversions who have the Naomi Universal upright cab, which has the 13551 by default.
3) The first 13551 didn't work.
4) The second 13551 DOES work.
5) I need to build a jamma-to-JST RA 60-pin adapter so I can use the 13551 in this cab without hacking the wiring.

Last edited:
I have a 18 Wheeler which i am eventually going to put in OR2. Im following your thread and if i find some free time soon ill make sure to post what i discover.
I have Outrun Running in my Crazy Taxi Naomi Upright, and I was also getting IO board errors, IF you go into the game test menu, under game options or assignments, you can set the cabinet type to "Upright", and you will get different results.

Back