What's new
I haven't looked at the source code for this but I know it's kind of a drag on the normal Pi-Force tools to add in the rom names for new releases.

it'd be nice if there was a web interface where you can specify a game name and associate an image for any "unknown" roms, or edit the names and existing associations.

Heck maybe you could even take it a step further and add an upload interface for adding new roms through the browser.

Welp I'm trying to add all the releases so it doesn't have to be updated ever again. I'd be neat to be able to do all that up there, but its FAR beyond my skill set.

The issue with updating the game list through the browser is accessing the unix partition from inside windows. As it stands now I use putty and psftp to connect and edit /remove/ send files. Having a list of everything is fine because the script just ignores anything related to a rom that isnt there. To test Im just making an empty file that matches the name to be sure the webpage generates correctly. I'll also have a text file with all the game names and expected rom names so maybe there can be some sort of standard, or at minimum, an easy way to know what to name your roms to make them work with this. After I finish the webtools version I'm going to get the regular piforce tools gamelist.py and update that as well.

End game goal is to make a new img file for people to download and write to their cards.

Welp I'm trying to add all the releases so it doesn't have to be updated ever again.
After I finish the webtools version I'm going to get the regular piforce tools gamelist.py and update that as well.

End game goal is to make a new img file for people to download and write to their cards.
Unfortunately the original gamelist.py tried to do this with a few yet-to-be released games, and guessed wrong because we're at the mercy of whoever hacks the ROMs them naming them whatever comes to mind... there's no real standard to speak of for the game that have been released so far.

maybe there can be some sort of standard, or at minimum, an easy way to know what to name your roms to make them work with this.
The closest thing to a standard would be the MAME ROM names as they're concise and guaranteed to be unique between revisions. The pitfall here is there are likely a few games released for Net boot that aren't in the MAME ROM list yet, and it wont take in to consideration patched games and the revisions of each of those patches. ie game gets released for net-boot, has bug or limitation, gets patched and a new version released. Technically that's the same ROM but it's important to note that it's a different release with something patched or changed.

There might also be interest in having multiple patch versions of the same ROM on the device. For instance I've done a lot of testing with the English Translation of Typing of the Dead so i have it listed in my gamelist.py as "English of the Dead" just to avoid confusion with the original un-modified version of the game.

The issue with updating the game list through the browser is accessing the unix partition from inside windows. As it stands now I use putty and psftp to connect and edit /remove/ send files.
use this instead of putty: http://mobaxterm.mobatek.net/ its far more pleasant.

also you should be able to setup a samba share to access the files on your Pi directly within windows.
there's some information on that here: https://www.theurbanpenguin.com/setting-up-a-samba-server-on-raspberry-pi/

Malenko, is this the version that incorporates the script to reset the naomi using a relay on the tach wire on the gpu fan to get around the issue of the naomi freezing when sending a new game.

Unfortunately the original gamelist.py tried to do this with a few yet-to-be released games, and guessed wrong because we're at the mercy of whoever hacks the ROMs them naming them whatever comes to mind... there's no real standard to speak of for the game that have been released so far.
There is no end all be all solution. Its fine for someone to have an archive of every rom's versioning on their computer, but its another thing to expect the script to support every rom version when all the end user has to do is copy over the rom to the fat32 partition and rename the version they want to play to the "parent rom name". Much like the CPS2 files, most people just play 1 specific version of a game. That being said, Im totally ok with you or anyone else editing the files Im working on to support it. I just dont have any interest in doing it myself. All I meant by what I previously typed was there would be a txt file listing what you need to call the rom to have it work, something I didnt have when I started learning about the netdimm/piforce/piforceweb.

I'm proficient in using putty and psftp. Most of the work occurs in my windows environment then the files are moved over. Setting up a SAMBA on the pi just sounds like work, :saint: . This is a one off, if I planned to access the files all the time I could see it, but psftp is just a CLI ftp client and it does its job. I have all the files and images on my USB drive, so when I get home I'll move everything over, and test if it works I'll try to build an img file and upload it for everyone.

'put *.png' is a lot easier than a SAMBA share ;)

Malenko, is this the version that incorporates the script to reset the naomi using a relay on the tach wire on the gpu fan to get around the issue of the naomi freezing when sending a new game.
Pretty sure that's a yes. I had planned to make new img files for both piforceweb and regular piforce. I'm just being greedy and starting with the one I use first.

K so, its done. Added all the AtomisWave2Naomi games , all tested and working with images showing on the built in website.

HUGE thanks to Din0 "Dark0ne" Yancey for the nix help and putting up with my massive amount of newbness. Im going to try and get this image pulled and uploaded somewhere

Attachments

• added3.PNG
    added3.PNG
    246.1 KB · Views: 129
  • added4.PNG
    added4.PNG
    276.8 KB · Views: 116
Nice work, thanks :thumbup:

Would be nice to have something like this for all the multis. I have like 6 spare iphones that I could repurpose for this task on each on my cabs.

Last edited:
Great work Malenko!

Just got my Pi3, having all sort of problems getting all roms showing (naomi2/aw etc.)
Please upload your img. :D

Thanks man,

can you please post the python source code where i can see all expected rom names.

when I get home from work I'll be posting that and a zip with all the images I added to the /var/www/html/images folder

The one listed on page 1 is pretty safe to go by, I think I only changed some image names in it.

Didn't make it. Will update when I get back from vacation, sorry!D=

Many thanks for making and releasing this. I just tried it with Naomi 2, net dimm and pi 3 and it worked first time. So simple and straightforward, brilliant!

oh I didnt make it, I just updated it.

attached is the write_web.py had to change the extension to txt so you'll need to change it back to py. You'll also have to add images to the html/images folder matching the names.

Attachments

• write_web.txt
    17.7 KB · Views: 281
since I got asked on my wall, I'll add the info here. username: root password: raspberry

wifi SSID is naomi password is segarocks

Last edited:
and here is a shitty video of the webtool in action. The rape dungeon joke is a reference to PBJ @ arcadecontrols who calls my unfinished garage that.

Cordless phone is not bad idea as game switch, however I have own thoughts about solution of this kind. I would rather apply VGA switch and HDMI-VGA adaptor to the RPi. Next in the VGA switch I have plans to replace button with an IC. This give me opportunity to switch the image using buttons from NAOMI panel between RPi and NAOMI 2 board. Last step which I need is routing of wires from buttons and sticks. In such case both RPi and NAOMI 2 have to be connected, otherwise I will not be able to send i/o commands to the RPI. If I do that, then I will be able even to run an emulators with pixel perfect scaling. It's not expensive solution, but it does require much of effort. I will do that some day, it's relatively simple task, however I have my NAOMI in parts at the moment. I have to clean and assembly it back but not in winter time.

Last edited:
I built my first MAME cab over 16 years ago (when PCs were clocked in megahertz and we had megabytes of RAM) , but now a days I try to run everything on original hardware if I can. Its why were are all salivating at the mouth waiting for Darksoft's "MultiNeoGeo" and loving our MultiCPS2 kits even though its fairly easy to slap together an emulation based solution.

I used a tablet to load the game in my admittedly poorly shot video, but you can load from anything with a browser that can connect to WiFi, like a laptop, iPod, etc. I usually use my phone for loading games but I needed it to take the video :)
Long term I'm going to have an old phone near the stand up Dynamo HS5 cab you can use to select the game, but for the driving cab I'm probably going to just build an adafruit LCD selector since its only a handful of games.

Back