What's new
but now a days I try to run everything on original hardware if I can
To be clear - I do prefer original equipment over emulation, but RPi in arcade cabinet without access to display is wasted potential for me. I would not have in my collection multiple arcade games and arcade systems if I would prefer emulation over original equipment. I do prefer arcade hardware over emulation because of couple a reasons. In example Mortal Kombat community about a couple moths ago discovered EJB menu which gives you access to settings directly from the button panel. From EJB menu in some cases you may play for free without accessing test switch behind coin door. Real board with Mortal Kombat you may convert i.e from 4MB ROM units to 8MB ROM units by replacing jumpers and GAL chip. Emulation not always may be capable to stand these tricks and cheats. Emulation never will be capable to play sound in exact way as original equipment does. 3D games never will got original speed and synchronization. Reasons why original Equipment is better over emulation is a couple more. But with emulators we may afford quick tests or diagnostics in case of EEPROM testing or dumping. So in overall I prefer original equipment over emulation, but emulation is in my case appreciated as well.

but you can load from anything with a browser that can connect to WiFi, like a laptop, iPod, etc.
Because webserver at RPi side is present or you have written python app. Connecting RPi to VGA monitor will not disable that feature, so what?

I guess I just don't understand what your post has to do with netbooting with PiForce Webtools.

For those who want to just update their own python scripts:
A few things to note when messing with this. Its best to test the web page on a laptop and to just go to a new URL to avoid any caching. All URLs get directed to the pi-force page so you have an infinite number of places to go to. like A.com B.com C.com A.net B.net ,etc When I first started editing I was making changes but my phone was caching the website so I was getting flustered that it looked like nothing was changing.

sbin/piforce/write_web.py should be the file location.
Make sure you have a rom matching the name of the rom file you added to the python script. The web tools do not verify contents so even an empty text file renamed to romname.bin will work but if no rom is there it wont add the game to the webpage.

You have to add the name in 2 places. The top of the list where you define the variable game name, image, rom file name, etc and at the bottom is the ordered list for the webpage. You can just put the game name at the end of the list. This will stop them from from being alphabetized but most people dont give a shit. I personally dont but when I did the script I left them alphabetized.

So at the top you have this:
Name_of_Game_for_bottom = {'image':'image_for_webpage.jpg', 'name':'Text_for_webpage', 'rom':'name_of_rom.bin' }

and at the bottom you have this:

naomi1 = [game1, game2, name_of_game_for_bottom ]

Just make sure the name to the left is the same as the name at the bottom. If you look at how I did my updates, I pretty much tried to keep all the names the same to keep it easy. IT IS CASE SENSITIVE for everything even the image file names, so image.Jpg is not the same as image.jpg

I just don't understand
You do not have to. Others have another opinion. The main purpose of these tools should be ease of use. I do prefer to manage my NAOMI cabinet only via equipped already buttons and sticks. Others may prefer fancy extra equipment but I do not like that.

@Malenko, your efforts are appreciated. Thanks for sharing your configurations.

I just don't understand
You do not have to. Others have another opinion. The main purpose of these tools should be ease of use. I do prefer to manage my NAOMI cabinet only via equipped already buttons and sticks. Others may prefer fancy extra equipment but I do not like that.
To play devil's advocate, I'd argue that your proposal (which should maybe be posted in its own thread since it doesn't really relate to this topic?) requires way more "fancy" equipment, especially if you're hoping to take advantage of existing inputs and have those inputs still work for JVS and other purposes. In fact, your proposal basically requires the same equipment (RPi), plus additional parts, and probably a custom JVS I/O that can serve multiple purposes.
Cordless phone is not bad idea as game switch, however I have own thoughts about solution of this kind. I would rather apply VGA switch and HDMI-VGA adaptor to the RPi. Next in the VGA switch I have plans to replace button with an IC. This give me opportunity to switch the image using buttons from NAOMI panel between RPi and NAOMI 2 board. Last step which I need is routing of wires from buttons and sticks. In such case both RPi and NAOMI 2 have to be connected, otherwise I will not be able to send i/o commands to the RPI. If I do that, then I will be able even to run an emulators with pixel perfect scaling. It's not expensive solution, but it does require much of effort. I will do that some day, it's relatively simple task, however I have my NAOMI in parts at the moment. I have to clean and assembly it back but not in winter time.

@winteriscoming hit the nail on the head. It pretty much exactly how I feel. I fully understand that you can have a differing opinion, what I do not understand is why you think this thread is the correct place for it.

"Ease of Use" is relative.

@Malenko's solution is awesome for mulitple cab setups where you can manage more than one configuration from ONE UI, in this case a tablet.
@KyRol's opinion is more for static configuration from each cab (simplicity from the outside).

Internally, it's all the same.

Both are good solutions but each person has their own preference.

To play devil's advocate
I rather try to avoid such posts because in such cases authors of these words have only one in mind. A war. I do not came here to criticize work made by someone else. Understood?

requires way more "fancy" equipment
You saw already my project? It's funny, but I do not. Regarding to WebForceTools - it's cool, but as for me not cool enough. That's it. Is very good piece to jamma cabs or low-res and mid-res solutions but NAOMI cabs (and above) have more features. Raspberry Pi 3 is not first Raspberry, so why do not use such power? Why do not use such potential? Because someone else made WebPiForceTools already? Great.

since it doesn't really relate to this topic
It is strongly related with PiForceTools because besides of that my project will be more complex in general and will do other stuff. Maybe I will create separated thread with first release of this project, but until then this topic is related for me.

especially if you're hoping to take advantage of existing inputs and have those inputs still work for JVS and other purposes
JVS IO is not the issue. Moreover - it allows to avoid messy wiring. Besides of that Mitsurugi-W did awesome board of this kind, as you can see - it is possible and is not over-complex. I will consider custom PCB design because I have plans to add more features.

Last edited:
Why not go ahead and start your own project thread for others to follow?
It's too early. I have to assembly my Naomi, I'm on the way with documentation about it, I have hundreds of photos already and nothing done. Afterwards I have plans to publish a writeup on my blog, all of that takes me very much time. I'm very cautious, for sure too much, but I want not to anything screw up. I will post my own thread but in time. As for now I will focus on the feedback from community about existing projects of this kind.

I agree this topic should stay focussed on piforce webtools. The idea is brillant as it reduces costs to just the pi. No need for a shield with a display and some buttons that are difficult to install professionally and properly. The assumption everybody is having "something" to browse the web is correct.

If someone has a different vision about how he wishes to upgrade his cab, that's fine. It can only be a learning experience for the community.

I have my doubts about the pi for emulation. A 5 year old pc doesn't have to cost much more and is simply more powerfull. It will satisfy your emulator needs better and it's not like space and power consumption are very important for a cabinet setup.

I ran the doom3 speedtest in dosbox on both "different pc's" and the pi....
Maybe now that sdl has a 2.0 version with "opengl es" hardware acceleration, it's running smoother on the pi, but it suprises me that no such version already exists to test.

But, this discussion is highly off topic as well. I suggest that a moderator simply "cut copy paste" the non relevant posts into a separate project thread so that it can start to live it's own life.

Hey,

I'm the original author of the wireless net-boot image; any issues / requests / game additions etc, just let me know, and I will see what I can do :)

glad to see people are using it! .. I did do a version for the pi2, but the compatibility issues with the various wireless adaptors were a massive pain. The pi3 makes it all much easier!

Hey,

I'm the original author of the wireless net-boot image; any issues / requests / game additions etc, just let me know, and I will see what I can do :)

glad to see people are using it! .. I did do a version for the pi2, but the compatibility issues with the various wireless adaptors were a massive pain. The pi3 makes it all much easier!
Hi! Love your tools. If you could add all the games to the official website, and have a txt file of game names (and the correct rom name!) that'd be great. Then I can just let this thread die and KyRol can leave me alone :)
I had troubles with the wireless adapter on my Pi1 so I'll prlly snag another pi3 for my other naomi cab.

Hey,

hopefully this will help:
http://pastebin.com/KAMhFsVT

Its got the rom name, the game name, and the image file..

If you need stuff adding, let me know and I can sort it, (although you document the process yourself above) or you can (for example) edit the image file and stick it in \var\www\images or whatever to show your own images for the games..

I meant like an "official update" on the website, with the txt file for roms. It was tough to figure out where the list was, so I figure if anyone else is starting from scratch they'd have a leg up.

Last edited:
Probably then; what would be better - and what I should have done first time, would be to move the config, and the image folder to the windows partition to allow users to easily edit the list themselves, rather than it being burred within python scripts in the linux partition..

I will update the github in the meantime as well

Has anyone managed to get the reset via a relay to the GPU fan speed to work using Malenko's upload on a pi 3b? I'm not getting any activity on the relays when I switch a game.

Attachments

• IMG_20170131_181419.jpg
    IMG_20170131_181419.jpg
    699.5 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Has anyone managed to get the reset via a relay to the GPU fan speed to work using Malenko's upload on a pi 3b? I'm not getting any activity on the relays when I switch a game.
I'd suggest using the original piforce web download, then just update the python script; just to eliminate me messing something up :)

Back