What's new

penrhos

Grand Master
Reaction score
Picked up a KIC 045DX from YAJ for peanuts as it was knackered. Sea freighted it back with a couple of other heavy items and after a 2 month wait for the grand sum of £55 it was mine to customize.

I forgot to take before pictures so these ones on AO will have to do - use your imagination and add lots of grime.

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Kic_Control_Box-Model_045_DX

Turns out it was worse than it looked. The PSU was dead, the video encoder PCB only did NSTC-J composite video out and the edge connector was melted on the +5V connectors.

Basically the only things that were salvageable were the case, speakers & sticks.

First up - I stripped it down completely and cleaned it inside & out, serviced & refitted the sticks, installed new balltops & Sanwa OBSN-30's or OBSN-24's - Now it's looking OK on the outside.

DSC04594 (Large).JPG

In the spares box I had a small PSU from an old NAS - it fitted perfectly (there is limited headroom and a normal JAMMA PSU will not fit inside easily).

DSC04599 (Large).JPG

As I was using a 60-in-1 PCB with VGA out, I made a custom JAMMA loom with just the wires I needed, so Power, directions, 3 * fires, starts, credit & test.

DSC04600 (Large).JPG

A 20 cm VGA extension lead & a M-F coupler to cover the hole I cut in a bit of old PC case to fill the gap where the original JAMMA connector was located) was sourced for £6 from eBay.

DSC04601 (Large).JPG

The test button was routed to where the original RGB plug was as it acted like a handy hole filler. And the transformation is complete....

DSC04591 (Large).JPG

In hindsight I probably should have put a vertical Game Elf inside but I already had the 60-in-1 that I picked up for £25 (I'd had have to purchase the Game Elf). All other parts apart from the buttons, balltops, VGA cable & coupler were from the bits-box.

The entire thing stands me at just over £100. I even scrounged an old DELL monitor that can be rotated to TATE for free to plug it into. Once I've soak tested it I'll stick the lot on eBay and see if I can make any profit from what is basically a pile of scrap & spare bits.

Can't remember - was some cheapo no-brand 2-bay NAS with a esata port on the back but the controller was rubbish and it kept loosing connectivity to one of the drives so I scrapped it.

Only thing worries me is I might not be drawing enough current on the PSU as it was designed to run 2 hard drives, nas pcb and a fan, might add a fan just to up the load a little.

Back