What's new
Here is my humble setup:

Qg1Jbt2.jpg

Is there a specific enclosure that you use on the supergun connected to the Neo Geo? It has a very clean look to it.

Also did you make the sega saturn converters yourself. I know you make converters for db15 to saturn but I have seen several projects on this forum with saturn controllers wired up directly and am curious if there is a common schematic or if everyone just does it on their own?

Also did you make the sega saturn converters yourself. I know you make converters for db15 to saturn but I have seen several projects on this forum with saturn controllers wired up directly and am curious if there is a common schematic or if everyone just does it on their own?
Checkout @RGBs offerings on this thread.

I've added DB15 connectors to two MadCatz Wii fightsticks and changed the buttons and joysticks. Other is sporting a Sanwa JLF with a 2lb tension spring, Kowal 1mm oversized actuator and an octagonal gate along with Gamerfinger buttons containing black Cherry MX switches, and other has regular Sanwa OBSF buttons and previously had a Crown stick, but currently equipped with a stock Sanwa JLW in 4-way configuration specifically for Daimakaimura.

As for the "supergun".. It's basically just a pile of cables, PSU, 8-pin mini DIN for A/V output, pots for RGB level adjustment and DB15 connectors for joysticks. I have plans for building a proper supergun into a 1U 19" rack box and I've drawn some preliminary schematics for it, but seeing as my current solutions works just fine and I'm flat broke, this project has not progressed quite yet. Only planned feature enhancements over the current solution are power and reset switches, audio mono/stereo switch with transformer isolation, PSU output voltage display and RGB sync strip (LM1881). I've also done some preliminary investigation about an RGB distribution amplifier (have two A/V outputs), but not yet clear if I want to build my own - possibly one inside the supergun - or use a 3rd party external solution.

My primary source for supergun building related info: http://hacks.slashdirt.org/hw/supergun/

One thing worth mentioning is the choice of 8p mini DIN connector for A/V. It's cheap, very easy to install cleanly as it's round, and standard connector for Micomsoft Framemeister and NESRGB mod. To hook it up to a SCART CRT, you'll need a custom cable (http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=203&rn=543&action=show_detail), but the benefit is that it comes with a boost converter that generates CVBS and RGB status signals, which are required by the SCART standard. In practice, it means your TV will automatically switch to correct AV channel and show the picture in correct aspect ratio. I've seen many cases where the TV remote is lost or broken, and people are stuck with 16:9 aspect ratio on their RGB modded consoles.

Attachments

• daily_grind-1024.jpg
    daily_grind-1024.jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 452
  • neogeo_stick2.jpg
    neogeo_stick2.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 458
  • neogeo_sticks.jpeg
    neogeo_sticks.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 518
Can someone recommend a HDMI able Supergun for the CPSII and CPSIII Boards ?

Any setup that is plug and play without having to mess about with the supergun's configurations etc

Thank you and regards

@Cat best for no-lag is a HAS or Minigun with an OSSC attached. It’s not plug and play, you have to dial in the settings for your TV. Certain TVs are more or less capable than others. Upside is zero lag.

or the same no-lag scaling technology is inside these, but requires a modification to your cps2 and cps3: https://www.videogameperfection.com/2018/11/28/digital-interface-hardware/

If you don’t want to do any work, you could see if @XianXi can make you one (like this) which i would trust to be safe, but may have some lag due to the scaler involved, but would be more plug and play.

You could also gamble on one of the HDMI superguns that I’ve never seen reviews for, but I can almost guarantee lag and cannot guarantee they are safe to use:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-Super...080p-Neo-Geo-Capcom-Konami-Sega-/392286267583

https://www.otakus-store.net/en/superguns/30-supergun-otaku-s-store-arcade-interface-mak-.html

Personally I would never gamble on that.

Last edited:
One thing i've always wondered about these big old boxy Japanese superguns with the sticks mounted on them is if they handle the video signals properly (I.e buffered, impedance matched). Especially compared to the new breed of superguns on these forums (HAS, Minigun etc).

They do not.

They cover themselves by stating (along these lines) "This product is designed to be used on a professional monitor and may cause damage to a consumer television."

I've seen labels to that effect on a few of the Japanese box superguns.

Some do nothing at all with the RGBS signals (outside of composite / s-video conversion) and just pass them straight through, others include a series resistor.

They do not.

They cover themselves by stating (along these lines) "This product is designed to be used on a professional monitor and may cause damage to a consumer television."

I've seen labels to that effect on a few of the Japanese box superguns.

Some do nothing at all with the RGBS signals (outside of composite / s-video conversion) and just pass them straight through, others include a series resistor.
Ouch. Good thing we have the minigun/HAS now.

I've been experimenting with using a minigun to bypass the RGB on my Japanese superguns. Good results, making some PCBs to make it presentable.

IMG_20190817_205341.jpg

I've been experimenting with using a minigun to bypass the RGB on my Japanese superguns. Good results, making some PCBs to make it presentable.

IMG_20190817_205341.jpg
What does the Japanese supergun look like?
The two I have are:https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Vega_9000_DXhttps://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_Boardmaster
They look great. What's the best way to buy one?
From Japan, I got mine from MAK in Akihabara.

At that point what’s the point? I mean, just use the mini and buy some nice joysticks right?

My NFL Blitz 2k & NBA Showtime "Supergun" WIP...

Attachments

• InShot_20190905_165604860_compress53.jpg
    InShot_20190905_165604860_compress53.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 320
  • InShot_20190905_165258508_compress12.jpg
    InShot_20190905_165258508_compress12.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 275
  • InShot_20190905_165812948_compress15.jpg
    InShot_20190905_165812948_compress15.jpg
    577.5 KB · Views: 305
I had a broken spare panel of a blast city cab and started a restauration for a supergun.
mhexCc5.jpg

YJa2Amx.jpg

nwybmqR.jpg

6LoBzCF.jpg

BtuoLU1.jpg

NYiN2lo.jpg

EGMlV8Y.jpg

I am pretty happy with the result and now able to play vertical setups and shmups :)
To be honest.... it's a weight monster.... but if you found a spot right comfortable for play

Last edited:
Looks great @Loki, I'm looking at doing something similar down the line with my spare panel and a Minigun... you nailed it!

Back