What's new
I just got a scsi2sd v5.0a and thanks everyone for this thread :thumbsup:
Everything is working fine when following these steps:
The latest firmware I'm using is 4.7.01
In all likelihood, you don't even need to use the molex power cable. The SCSI2SD device gets enough power over SCSI. :)
I confirm that.

Totally confirmed, no molex needed at all.
7GtwfmX.jpg

4lyXl1N.jpg

Anyone order their adapters from Itead? I ordered mine a month ago and Hongkong post said they sent it to Canada 3 weeks ago. I doubt the plane flies for 3 weeks. Anyone from Canada familiar with Hongkong post? Will Canadapost be able to give me more info if I call them? I don't have a local tracking number. I feel I might have to try to dispute this with paypal.

Anyone order their adapters from Itead? I ordered mine a month ago and Hongkong post said they sent it to Canada 3 weeks ago. I doubt the plane flies for 3 weeks. Anyone from Canada familiar with Hongkong post? Will Canadapost be able to give me more info if I call them? I don't have a local tracking number. I feel I might have to try to dispute this with paypal.
I ordered two units from iTead and they both arrived. It could be that Canada Customs holding it. If they have it (customs) then Canada Post can't do anything until they release it. Generally, the sender might be able to find more info or do a search from their end then you searching from yours.

I've had items from China Post/HK Post/Singapore Post take up to three months or more. One Playasia order took forever (Ordered in December and received it in April/May) that I thought one was lost for sure. It arrived. Eventually.

The issue is that border control from China is super tight due to the drug Fentanyl and epidemic that it is causing.

I ordered two units from iTead and they both arrived. It could be that Canada Customs holding it. If they have it (customs) then Canada Post can't do anything until they release it. Generally, the sender might be able to find more info or do a search from their end then you searching from yours.
I've had items from China Post/HK Post/Singapore Post take up to three months or more. One Playasia order took forever (Ordered in December and received it in April/May) that I thought one was lost for sure. It arrived. Eventually.

The issue is that border control from China is super tight due to the drug Fentanyl and epidemic that it is causing.
I sent a request to itead, a few days ago. It's still in process.

I'm technically inept compared to others on this forum so I'll add some comments that worked for me in case there are other laymen here :)

1) Purchased the hardware from here. They are based in San Jose. Fast 2-day shipping. Firmware was already 4.7.1 so you can skip firmware updating.
2) Any fans of IMG Burn here? I've used it for 10+ years to burn DVDs and it works here also to make the ISO from the disc.
3) Used Etcher to write the ISO to the SD card.

That is really all I did whilst following the posts mentioned above. No formatting or anything like that necessary.

Part of cleaning my office & garage was grouping together related items, so I ended up with a pile of CPS3 stuff :D I shortly thereafter realized that I'd never even set up the SCSI2SD that had been sitting on my shelf for over a year. Such a great little tool!

After reading through this thread, it sounds like one of the common problems is using a bad iso/image. I experienced this, too. I tried making my own image from my Darksoft CD-ROM and had issues (still not sure exactly what I mucked up). I then downloaded the image provided by Darksoft and transferred that to my SD card using the HDD Raw Copy Tool and now it's golden! Looking forward to mounting it all compactly. I'm going to attempt using a right-angle PCI adapter on the security cart and see how that works.
-ud

I'm going to attempt using a right-angle PCI adapter on the security cart and see how that works.
I have done this and it work. You can even decade the cart and still use the metal cage. I'm patiently waiting for the cps2 kit so I can finish consolizing my cps3 :D

I finally got around to do this update. Got the SCSI2SD board, followed the instructions in this thread and it worked first try. Thanks for all the info posted here!
Also was able to finally install the Jasen Customs plexi, this thing looks great now! I'm glad to put away the cumbersome CD Drive.

SD6O5ZA.jpg

AXtCZgm.jpg

pLn9W5l.jpg

Looking good through my OSSC:

dq1tMRX.jpg

fdLuxXK.jpg

I finally got around to do this update. Got the SCSI2SD board, followed the instructions in this thread and it worked first try. Thanks for all the info posted here!
Also was able to finally install the Jasen Customs plexi, this thing looks great now! I'm glad to put away the cumbersome CD Drive.

Looking good through my OSSC:
Right On. I just completed the exact same set up you have. Really nice to get rid of that scsi drive.

The Jasen Plexi case for CPS3 looks really nice! I don't see that on the site anymore - does anyone know if these are still available?

Matt

I believe Jasen has stopped offering these, perhaps if he sees enough interest he will do another run.
You should reach out to him.

I got this response back from him:

They are sold out and I do not intend on doing another batch before I move to Japan.

Bummer!

Matt

Leaving this for others running into the same issue, as Google didn't show a single hit for the error message I was getting...

While I was able to "Load from device", writing using "Save to device" failed.

Code:
11:04:14 PM: SCSI2SD Ready, firmware version 4.4
11:04:14 PM: SD Capacity (512-byte sectors): 3932160
SD CSD Register: 00000032535a83bfedb7ffbf16800041
SD CID Register: 6f0000534d492020000000000000e1d5
11:04:30 PM: Saving configuration
11:04:30 PM: Programming flash array 1 row 187
11:04:30 PM: Error writing flash 1/187
11:04:30 PM: Save failed
Upgrading the SD2SCSI firmware from 4.4 to 4.7.1 fixed it!

The Jasen Plexi case for CPS3 looks really nice! I don't see that on the site anymore - does anyone know if these are still available?

Matt
I got this response back from him:

They are sold out and I do not intend on doing another batch before I move to Japan.

Bummer!

Matt
I was searching for it as well yesterday, because I wanted to get the installation instructions to make sure every screw went where it's supposed to. While it wasn't available yesterday, it seems like it just made it back in store (shipping in 2-3 days).

I didn't try to actually order one because I already have one ;)

IMG_20170801_191924.jpg
I don't know if this forum has sticky post support but this is basically a howto. Good post.
I also set mine up a few nights ago and forgot to post.

One fumble I made was that I hadn't set the SCSI ID to 1, I'd left it at 0 and obviously, no CD-ROM drive was found. Don't make my mistake!
(I felt like a real idiot when I spotted that!)

Back