What's new

kuze

Champion
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I put together a patch for Marvel vs Capcom so you don't have to enter the silly codes to choose hidden characters.

This one was a bit more complicated than Street Fighter Alpha 3, so I'd appreciate if you all could do some testing and let me know if you find any issues.

Here are the hidden characters that are unlocked:
  • Golden War Machine - Up from Zangief
  • Hyper Venom - Up from Chun-Li
  • Lilith - Down from War Machine
  • Orange Hulk - Up from Ryu
  • Roll - To the right of Megaman
  • Shadow Lady - Down from Gambit
Attached are xdeltas for both the CPS2 multi and real boards, so pick your poison. :D

mvc.02-allchars-xdelta.zip - apply against mvc.02 from 'mvscudm' folder, for use on the CPS2 multi.
mvsc-allchars-xdeltas.zip - apply to mvcudm.03d and mvcudm.04d from 'mvscudm.zip' for use on real boards.

I recommend using xdelta UI to apply patches: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/598/

Attachments

• mvc-hiddenchars.jpg
    mvc-hiddenchars.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 12,881
  • mvsc-allchars-xdeltas.zip
    558 bytes · Views: 1,139
  • mvc.02-allchars-xdelta.zip
    325 bytes · Views: 911
Last edited:
This is incredibly cool. Thanks Kuze!! I didn't even realize that there were hidden characters in MvC arcade. Do you have any other CPS2 code hacks in the works? :D

Last edited:
I'll try and patch and test. How do you select the hidden characters?

This is incredibly cool. Thanks Kuze!! I didn't even realize that there were hidden characters in MvC arcade. Do you have any other CPS2 code hacks in the works? :D
Np! Yeah I didn't realize either until I started looking into unlockable characters on other CPS2 games after the SFA3 thread.

No other ones in the works yet, but I'm open to suggestions. If there is a MAME cheat already, I can probably implement it at some point.
I'll try and patch and test. How do you select the hidden characters?
Cool, you just select outside the bounds of the normal grid:
  • Golden War Machine - Up from Zangief
  • Hyper Venom - Up from Chun-Li
  • Lilith - Down from War Machine
  • Orange Hulk - Up from Ryu
  • Roll - To the right of Megaman
  • Shadow Lady - Down from Gambit
Normally you would have to enter these drawn out codes:

I just want to pop in here and throw some serious respect and gratitude your way. These unlock patches you are working on, are frigging awesome.

Thank you for taking time and energy to create these!

Also...Hyper Venom kicks ass. :D

There has been hacks like this out there already mainly done by a hacker called yumeji.

This is great. Would love to see a patched version of Marvel vs Street Fighter as well. The secret character codes in that game are very annoying and easy to screw up.

Fun fact: Back in the day, people use to consider the secret Venom character "Carnage" from the Spiderman universe.

Thanks so much for this! I'll definitely load this up onto the CPS2 multi when I get it :D

It plays well. Thanks again.

I was hoping to double the roms onto larger erpoms to switch versions with a DPDT toggle, but I forgot cps2 uses 27c4096 not 27c400, so I can't use a 27c800 easily to fit the 2 versions :(

If anyone knows of an easy way to wire a toggle switch to change banks or versions of program roms on a CPS2 B board (short of rewiring/adapting the socket to 27c400) I'm all ears. As far as I can tell there's not an 8mbit chip with the same pinout as the 27c4096. I vaguely recall a method of physically stacking 2 chips and switching the chip enable line or something, but I've never actually done it myself.

@kuze I was about to use these to patch the MAME set (since we can use the original encrypted files) and realized even the "real board" version runs on the decrypted set. Are you considering building another patch for the encrypted version or should I just stick with this and load it up with a zero-key?

Last edited:
@kuze I was about to use these to patch the MAME set (since we can use the original encrypted files) and realized even the "real board" version runs on the decrypted set. Are you considering building another patch for the encrypted version or should I just stick with this and load it up with a zero-key?
For now let's just use the zero key with the decrypted set. I might look at doing an encrypted version later, but with a hack the code is no longer 'original' anyways so I'm not sure there would be any real benefit. If there was a bug in the decrypted set that would be another story.

What do you guys think?

fine by me, I just want an option with all the characters on this SD card I'm writing! I would wait if you were planning to give it a shot though -- I have no idea how you'd both hack it and maintain encryption...

fine by me, I just want an option with all the characters on this SD card I'm writing! I would wait if you were planning to give it a shot though -- I have no idea how you'd both hack it and maintain encryption...
cool, thanks for working on the new pack!

to do an encrypted version I'd have to start over using the OG set and I haven't looked into how to encrypt instructions, but iirc there was a blog or forum post someone made detailing the process to some extent.

for this game though, I believe it was one where XOR collision was used to make the decrypted set and it has a high/perfect degree of accuracy so a encrypted version probably isn't needed.

This is great. Would love to see a patched version of Marvel vs Street Fighter as well. The secret character codes in that game are very annoying and easy to screw up.
Gonna second this. As another game with a ton of codes, this would be really cool!

Gonna second this. As another game with a ton of codes, this would be really cool!
That would be cool and Marvel vs SF is my favorite game in the series.

Main problem is that on Marvel vs SF the secret characters do not have their own slots written into the character select screen.

So no way to say...Hold start on them to unlock, therefore bypassing the code for the character, even thought they don't occupy their own space on the select screen?

I ask out of ignorance, so if the above is crazy, please forgive me. :D

So no way to say...Hold start on them to unlock, therefore bypassing the code for the character, even thought they don't occupy their own space on the select screen?

I ask out of ignorance, so if the above is crazy, please forgive me. :D
I thought about that, but then you still have to know which character to hold start on and multiple secret characters start with Dhalsim iirc?

So that leaves you still having to remember quite a bit. Maybe there is a way to make it easier to navigate.

I'll play around with it a bit, but no promises. :thumbup:

Back