What's new
1meszf.jpg

you should not get a racing cab, that's dumb. You need two.

I wonder if there are accomodations for force feedback. I'm not familiar with the stock hardware, but maybe it's an RS232 setup and maybe I could work it into my FFB translator.

I wonder if there are accomodations for force feedback. I'm not familiar with the stock hardware, but maybe it's an RS232 setup and maybe I could work it into my FFB translator.
pretty sure ffb is handled by jvs as it only opens com2 which is the jvs port

pretty sure ffb is handled by jvs as it only opens com2 which is the jvs port
I'm not saying it couldn't be done over JVS, but no other JVS driver I've encountered handles FFB that way.

Maybe if you could find a wiring diagram, you could see what is the driving force connected to the "force feedback pcb" They might simply use some outputs of the jvs board. If I remember well, they use the Suzo Happ force feedback system.

the Suzo Happ FFB board is very simple.
1 pin to set force direction, 4 pins to specify force intensity, 1 ground reference pin

Not only is the pin out incredibly simple, but these boards are cheap ($100 new) and still in production.

Atomiswave uses this board and it connects directly to the I/O expansion port.

if TTX does use JVS for FFB that would make sense as it would only need 5 digital output pins to work with that setup.
https://na.suzohapp.com/products/driving_controls/50-2000-05

50-2000-05-V1.jpg

@winteriscoming i have one of these boards if you'd like to borrow it to play around with. it's from a Maximum Speed Atomiswave setup

EDIT: I just noticed at the bottom of the Happ product page they list "Chase HQ" as using this board.

Last edited:
I haven't been able to find a manual for Chase HQ2 but I did find a manual for Sega Ford Racing which uses this board
http://manualzz.com/doc/6356196/manual-cloudfront.net#03285829765516601558

interestingly it connects to a parallel port on the main board as opposed to the I/O board. I'm not sure what hardware this is... Europa maybe? http://collectedit.com/collectors/s...d-racing-full-blown-dx-eu-by-razorworks-15937

Edit:
The Grid also uses this board: http://store.playitamusements.com/Manuals/Grid 42.pdf
And Showdown: http://www.segaarcade.com/__assets__/Games/00159/Showdown SDLX Manual.pdf

Edit2:

Showdown uses the Parallel port also and HOLY SHIT there's a "Raspberry Pi B+" in the actual wiring diagram too!

Last edited:
If it's a matter of just using JVS outputs and one way communication, then that makes sense. However, it complicates things from a translator perspective in that it's yet another hardware interface I'll have to accommodate for. The easiest way without intercepting JVS communication would be for the translator to wire directly into the outputs.

it's greatly simplified FFB setup where it offloads all of intelligence off of the Motor board and into the game software. since the wheel pot never touches the motor board the the game itself has to do all the calculations to determine the motor output required to achieve a given wheel position.

Whether this is better or worse than the older setups I have no idea... but it's definitely CHEAPER.

If it is one way communication, sniffing the JVS traffic could be an easy way to do it. You can even use something like com0com on the pc to simulate the traffic from one com port (the JVS) to another virtual and real comport. You can monitor the traffic on the virtual comport. You can also use the source of a Taito game loader to play with it. It basically just emulates JVS using dxinput. The one I found (open source) only worked for fighting games, but it wasn't hard to modify it so that whacky races also saw a valid jvs interface and ran it's demo fine.

i'll do some digging today and see what i can find out. i havent looked to see if a parallel port is used so its possible. but if not there is multiple options for ffb over jvs not just your standard analog or digital outs.

if i can find any other way its being outputted ill log out the jvs and shoot you a PM later winter.

some pics of where the ffb is plugged in on the JVS, as well as the ffb board itself would help :)

I own the original cab, so if anyone needs some pics of the insides, let me know.

Feedback is handled by JVS, yes.
some good pic of all the board would be great JVS, FBB and so on also can you confirm the ttx model as well.

Model is:

Taito Type X+
Model 016A
CPU P4 2.8GHz
MEM 512MB
GRA 9800PRO

The feedback board is the one TS linked to, here's a pic of mine:

fb_board.jpg

The JVS board looks like this:

jvs_board.jpg

The connector in the top left corner of the feedback board CONTROL IN J1 has the following connections:

DIR (pin 8 )
IN 3 (pin 7)
IN 2 (pin 6)
IN 1 (pin 5)
IN 0 (pin 4)

Here's where they go to on the 50 pin connector of the JVS board:

jvs_board_connections.jpg

Not 100% on the ordering of the connector pins, but I think it goes like:

Pin 33, DIR
Pin 35, IN 0
Pin 36, IN 1
Pin 37, IN 2
Pin 38, IN 3

If someone can make some use out of these boards (winteriscoming?), I'll gladly loan them out.

Back