What's new

kadrik0

Student
Reaction score
Hi, Just want some input. I bought a sony pvm-20m4u off eBay and it was shipped via ups. They didn't use a thick cardboard box but did use bubble wrap and packing peanuts. The top left and top right bezel are badly cracked. The little loops at the bottom left and right were snapped off. When I powered it on it did work but there was a green tint in the bottom left corner and blue tint high and low on the right corners. Given the condition I'm not sure I want to crack it open. I was able to picture more or less back to normal using two powerful fridge magnets on each side. The monitor looks great. Now what to do? I'm definitely filling a claim since it isn't my fault they broke it getting it to me. As far as condition I can prove they lied to me since the Sony logo was scratched off the front. I know I can use packing tape/duct tape on the two corners. Given what happened and my magnet fix what should I do if they give me a refund? Should it be fine? Do Crts with issues like this get worse quick? With the bezel like that I know to leave it alone but will be being exposed like that add extra issue? (I.e. Moisture or degaussing?) They have two pvms of the same model. I told them if they could ship it via a different carrier and better packaging that is my first choice. If the send a 2nd and it makes it fine what is the best way to get rid of the pvm without paying to have it taken away. Do you think Craigslist as parts/with flaws would be ok? Sucks, this was my first time with a pvm.

Attachments

• IMG_1228.JPG
    IMG_1228.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 356
  • IMG_1229.JPG
    IMG_1229.JPG
    855.9 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_1230.JPG
    IMG_1230.JPG
    940.7 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_1232.JPG
    IMG_1232.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 391
First and foremost, get your $$ refunded!

If the seller wants the unit back, let them pay you for shipping it back and package it exactly they way they did.

If you want the other unit they have then they have to package it better which means higher shipping costs, which they probably wont do, you will most likely end up with similar results anyway just because of the way they shipped the first one. The courier really does not make much difference, the item is a bit heavy so they will all most likely throw the box around and drop it. I bet the package didnt even have a fragile sticker on it. Plus UPS sucks, I have seen their drivers literally roll heavy boxes off of the back of their trucks, smashing onto the street and then they roll the boxes onto their hand trucks because they do not want to lift them out of the trucks.

Best thing to do is to try and pick it up yourself or have an actual moving company pick it up and deliver it to you, similar to like shipping a cab.

If you getting rid of it, put it up on craigslist, someone should snag it up.

Good luck.

That really sucks :( get a refund, they screwed up. Normally PVM's are transported in flight-cases.

That's terrible.

I would ask for a refund. Considering the state of it I would be surprised if they wanted it back.

The corners look like they just need a good degaussing. Don't use magnets just yet! I think these monitors should auto degauss when powering on, however, you should try manually degaussing. If you don't hear a 'thunk' sound and the screen doesn't violently wobble for one second, you have an issue in the degaussing circuit. Fixing it could be easy (unplugged coil) or hard (everything else).

I have a parts 20m4u that stopped working but the case and tube are great. If you felt like a long road trip to MI it's all yours.

Thanks. Still waiting to hear back on what they will do. They aren't open on the weekend so I should hear back today. It was pretty much a gov deals type operation and was selling used college equipment from a university in North Carolina. I was messing around with the corded drill degauss technique and came close to fixing it. Just not powerful enough. I can usually come close to getting a good picture with a few magnets in key places but as soon as I turn the monitor off and on it changes positions. Definitely looks like a real degauss coil could fix me up. I was able to tape it up with clear packing tape and its not that bad. I bought a sound bar to fit on top of the monitor so it "should" hide some of it. Fingers crossed they send me their second pvm in better packaging. If not, I will use the refund to get a degauss coil. It was bad when I moved the box to the garage. It was leaking peanuts out the bottom. *Face Palm* No wonder the packing peanuts didn't go all the way to the top.

Thanks for the offer skate. I was really tempted but when I taped it up I noticed it broke a little more than the bezel. That top right deep crack actually broke part of the arm and bent the next arm near the middle on the right hand side of the monitor. Definitely looks like even with a new bezel it would either have a hard time fitting or would be loose in that corner.

Got a full refund. Going to buy a degaussing coil to see if I can bring it back to life.

yeah my first suggestion for the discoloration in the corners is a degauss coil. it's pretty common for a CRT to get discoloration like that during transport, because believe it or not changing direction in relation to the earths magnetic poles builds up uneven charge in the tube.

make sure you get a circular one and not a "wand".. the wands suck.

Thanks. I bought the coil one. The wand seemed slightly tricky to use plus it is 220v so I'd have to buy a transformer/converter from hk too. How close is too close when using the deguassing coil around hard drives? The reason I ask is I have hard drives all over the place. Like in the retro game room my ps2, wii, and Xbox all have hard drives. I have a few sd cards too like my pi and everdrives. My pvm is currently in the garage where I am planning to degauss it but in the very next room 8 ft or so away is my mame pc. I bet I have to get within 3 ft or so to be a danger but I don't want to have an OS moment, lol.

I doubt you'd have a problem unless you were waving the degauss coil right up against the HDD.

keep in mind most of these CRTs have deguass coils built in... if it would cause any problems they'd be happening every time you turn on a monitor. The Magnets in speakers are about the same power as a degauss coil as well and I'd suspect you have a set of those a lot closer to your HDDs than your degauss coil will get.

Any tips/links on buying a degauss coil?
Could use one as well ;)

I have a wand one. It cost five bucks on Aliexpress. It does its job just fine.

Back