What's new
I'm pretty sure this forum would be glad to help with translations and what's not ;)

A CPS1 Multi is an instant buy for most people here...
Believe me, there is already much to do without the need of translating.
From my side, for exemple, after testing more than 1.000 Roms, I figured out that I didn't follow the process (that was writen in French) and now I have to test everything again ;(

For the CPS1 Multi I think that he didn't supplied the French market yet (the waiting list)

Aje is not producing at the same speed than DS

Once again this is my guess and maybe I'm wrong ?(

I honestly don't care in what language I get support.. I would even accept to get support in swajilli if the product is worth it :D

A CPS1 Multi is an instant buy for most people here...
Yeah, I'm in line for one, but after some initial batches it seems he stopped making them.

I really wish DS would talk to Aje and get to an agreement where DS take the project and distribute it worldwide (while getting a cut for himself, of course).

I wonder if this is an option? It would benefit both Aje (MUCH more boards sold) and DS.

Mass production would benefit all. Plenty of customers i'd say.

Whether Darksoft worked out a production & distribution agreement with Aje, or designed one of his own - I'd just like to be able to own a CPS1 Multi! :thumbup:

opensourced?
opensourcing means the chinese bootleg market gets it and starts pumping out boards at an insane rate and insanely low prices without giving a damn about the author.

I'd rather have Darksoft speak in private with aje and come to an agreement which would benefit everyone.

EDIT: about DS making a new one. No need to reinvent the wheel, I would prefer if he used his time and efforts on something which doesn't exist yet, like a system16 multiboard.

opensourcing means the chinese bootleg market gets it and starts pumping out boards at an insane rate and insanely low prices without giving a damn about the author.
I'm still patiently waiting for that to happen with the OSSC.

I'm still patiently waiting for that to happen with the OSSC.
I think the author said that if anyone sends him a PM at the shmup forums, he'll send the gerber files over, along with the source of the firmware.

Or did I miss something?

the files are already open sourced hence the first two letters in the name.

The thing I'm waiting for is the cheap Chinese versions to flood the market at low prices.

I'd like to see one that unifies all of the 240p video options on one board as well: Jamma, RGB (via din-8 or Scart), and Component output.
If you want SCART or component output for use with an RGB TV why not go with one of the many other better/cheaper options?
http://www.rgb-pi.com/

http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw...12&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_sadis=&LH_CAds=&rmvSB=true

http://arcadeforge.net/Pi2Jamma/PI2SCART::264.html

http://www.retrotink.com/

http://www.neo-arcadia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=56947

JAMMA has a bunch of other requirements that just add cost to non arcade setups (such as built in audio amplification, video amplification, large PCB to plug into the JAMMA edge, etc. it doesn't make sense to try to dual-purpose a board when it'd be cheaper to make two separate boards for the separate purposes.
Sorry for hijacking this thread but it's a quick question.
All the solutions for RGB output using the Pi have a DAC?

So I'm assuming the Pi only has a digital DAC for HDMI?
So every option for RGB 15khz receives a digital video and converts it to analogue?

All the solutions for RGB output using the Pi have a DAC?

So I'm assuming the Pi only has a digital DAC for HDMI?
So every option for RGB 15khz receives a digital video and converts it to analogue?
some of these solutions do indeed use HDMI to VGA converters but

the pi has several pins on the GPIO port attached directly to the video chip. through this they're able to generate analog signals directly from the graphics processor to the GPIO pins completely bypassing HDMI as described in the link rtw posted

some of these solutions do indeed use HDMI to VGA converters but
the pi has several pins on the GPIO port attached directly to the video chip. through this they're able to generate analog signals directly from the graphics processor to the GPIO pins completely bypassing HDMI as described in the link rtw posted
That's inaccurate at best.

GPIO stands for General Purpose Input/Output and they are tied directly to the CPU, the video chip has nothing to do with it.

Being General Purpose, they can be used to produce any kind of signal; in this case they are programmed to output an analog video signal using a R2R ladder, which is basically a very simple DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) made of resistors. (also, for those curious, this is the same video DAC used on Neo Geo MVS boards and R2R audio DACs are highly regarded in Hi-End audio equipment).

The video chip has nothing to do with this, in fact it uses a separate driver known as VGA666, due to how the output is handled – each colour (RGB) takes up 6 pins which manage to produce a 18-bit color depth image, more than enough for old consoles and arcade systems, plus two more pins for horizontal and vertical sync.

That's how it works, you can think it of a separate video card, albeit a very basic, simple one. I'm not even sure if it uses a framebuffer, it might not which explains why it's a zero lag output.

I tried to simplify the description but perhaps it's best to let the actual document describe it:

From the birth of the Raspberry-Pi there have been complaints about the lack of a VGA output. That has now been remedied. But only for the B+ and at the cost of losing most of your GPIOs.
The BCM2835 has a parallel display interface on the GPIO pins. I did not publish this in the 2835datasheet as 50% of the DPI pins where not on the GPIO connector, making it impossible to get any decent video out. The B+ however has all of the necessary DPI signals brought out. Dom has been working on the software side and the new DPI (read: VGA) driver software has been added to the latest release.
The VGA666 driver and the original GPIO VGA interface PCB (and the document above) were developed by Gert who is also one of the original Raspberry Pi designers/developers.

Last edited:
Ok, could someone give me the short answer to this:

I want to hook a raspberry pi (which I don't have yet) to my sony pvm 2950q and play some MAME and also some systems that I don't own like Atari 5200, etc...

So which RGB adapter or board should I buy for pixel perfect emulation?

Back