What's new
Mmmm there's a note in the incompatibilities section:

PVM/BVM monitors with BNC input, works but are not supported because have some synchronization problems, RGB-Pi is made for CSync TV's

Sorry. I bought one for a friend. Was great on a 29" flat crt.

Thanks everybody! I just ordered the RGB-PI. When it arrive I`ll have a bunch of PVM and BVM to test it and I'll let you guys know how it performs.

Thanks everybody! I just ordered the RGB-PI. When it arrive I`ll have a bunch of PVM and BVM to test it and I'll let you guys know how it performs.
@fandangos How is it working for you?
Ok, I can finally answer this.
I ordered both RGB-Pi and Pi2Scart.

First the RGB-Pi will sync to my BVM 20G1U but will not sync to my PVM 2950Q even using a sync striker (LM1881).
The Pi2Scart syncs with everything.

I used the RGB-Pi OS, and it's bugged, really bugged. The controller would start moving by itself, the system hangs and it's based on recalbox.
The Pi2Scart has an OS with retropie and it's almost perfect, the problem is the lack of documentation and explanation, even on the Facebook group where those information come from.
The instructions most of the time are wrong and require some googling (I'm not a linux expert).

The games switch resolution on the fly, but it's not like what you would think, 320x240 for some games and some arcade games 320x249 (this is just an example).
Both OS uses HDMI timings for this, which for some games result in a centered picture and others don't. I know you can move the X and Y axis on the RetroArch menu, and you will have to do this for every emulator. But Sega Genesis games has an underscan on the top but covers the image from left to right.
Snes has an underscan on the right but covers the image from top to bottom.

Most consoles utilizes a trick that the Pi is outputing 320x240 but actually it's outputing 1600x240. This reduces the scaling artifacts and gives you freedom to tweak the screen size all you want.
The hard part is to figure out the correct aspect ratio of games that have weird resolutions. Mostly MAME and FBA games.
If you enable interger scale it will give you 1x (which is too small) and 2x which is too big. So the correct aspect ratio will be your guess, you can make the game fit into your screen but you will never know if you are getting pixel perfect.

I have an arcade cabinet with GroovyArcade which really changes resolutions and you will have to adjust the pots for it to sync and to fit on your screen. When I heard about the PI to RGB, I jumped to the conclusion that this would be how it works, but it's not. Don't get me wrong, the image is amazing but we will never get pixel perfect correct output from the PI.

If only we have something like GroovyArcade that also supports other emulators, like snes, genesis, atari 2600 etc. this would be the way to go because VGA doesn't have any restrictions. In my case I had to use an old Radeon card because Nvidia and newer AMD cards have a low pixel clock blockage - which I even talked to a Nvidia engineer once and he won't believe me - but that's a fact. I've built a few arcade cabinets using soft15khz and groovyarcade and it blocks low pixel clocks. So use an old card.

So my opinion, get the Pi2Scart instead of RGB-PI. Not sure about Retrotink yet, I'll wait to the ultimate edition from Mike Chi to be ready to order it.
Don't expect Pixel Perfect, you will get amazing picture but it will not output the correct resolution.
Bottom line, I'm really happy with the Pi, it's small and with a 64GB SD card I was able to fit 19.529 games and this is beyond imagination. Consoles like the SEGA CD which don't have a ODE yet, runs fine.
I'll soon start selling part of my collection, keeping only the games I love and are important to me and the Pi was a decisive factor.

If only we have something like GroovyArcade that also supports other emulators, like snes, genesis, atari 2600 etc.
we do...

GroovyMAME has a companion version: GroovyUME.

MAME is for arcade emulation
MESS is for classic console emulation
and UME is MAME and MESS rolled into one applicaiton
and they make a "Groovy" build for both MAME and UME.

it can do 2600 and NES and a few other consoles. I think it can do Genesis well but not 32x or CD. for the most part the emulation isn't quite as good as a lot of the other dedicated emulators or RetroArch, but for the consoles it DOES support well, you get all the same benefits as you do with Groovy MAME.

If only we have something like GroovyArcade that also supports other emulators, like snes, genesis, atari 2600 etc.
we do...
GroovyMAME has a companion version: GroovyUME.

MAME is for arcade emulation
MESS is for classic console emulation
and UME is MAME and MESS rolled into one applicaiton
and they make a "Groovy" build for both MAME and UME.

it can do 2600 and NES and a few other consoles. I think it can do Genesis well but not 32x or CD. for the most part the emulation isn't quite as good as a lot of the other dedicated emulators or RetroArch, but for the consoles it DOES support well, you get all the same benefits as you do with Groovy MAME.
GroovyArcade is a linux distro.
I believe it's based on groovyMAME but it's not the same.

I don't know any GroovyUME ready OS.
The beauty of GroovyArcade is that you boot a CD install on your PC and copy your MAME roms and it will change resolution based on each rom.

...So my opinion, get the Pi2Scart instead of RGB-PI. Not sure about Retrotink yet, I'll wait to the ultimate edition from Mike Chi to be ready to order it.

Don't expect Pixel Perfect, you will get amazing picture but it will not output the correct resolution.
Bottom line, I'm really happy with the Pi, it's small and with a 64GB SD card I was able to fit 19.529 games and this is beyond imagination. Consoles like the SEGA CD which don't have a ODE yet, runs fine.
I'll soon start selling part of my collection, keeping only the games I love and are important to me and the Pi was a decisive factor.
Thank you for the extensive review. :thumbsup:

Bottom line, I'm really happy with the Pi, it's small and with a 64GB SD card I was able to fit 19.529 games and this is beyond imagination. Consoles like the SEGA CD which don't have a ODE yet, runs fine.I'll soon start selling part of my collection, keeping only the games I love and are important to me and the Pi was a decisive factor.
Just a small heads up for anyone wondering about MAME on the RasPi

https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/Arcade

Recommended lr-mame2003 version is: 78, the newest MAME version is 189 that is only 111 versions old and 14 years ...

Last edited:
Bottom line, I'm really happy with the Pi, it's small and with a 64GB SD card I was able to fit 19.529 games and this is beyond imagination. Consoles like the SEGA CD which don't have a ODE yet, runs fine.I'll soon start selling part of my collection, keeping only the games I love and are important to me and the Pi was a decisive factor.
Just a small heads up for anyone wondering about MAME on the RasPi
https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/Arcade

Recommended lr-mame2003 version is: 78, the newest MAME version is 189 that is only 111 versions old and 14 years ...
That's true.

That's one of the reasons it's recommended to use FBA for arcades on the Pi.

FBA is great, however it does not support the amount of games that MAME does. Therefore, IMO there is no 'almighty' arcade emulator unfortunately. You'd need to combine them in order to run most of the arcade library.

anyone bought and tried this RPI2JAMMA from AJE_FR yet? I sure as H*** want one! :D Still waitin on my "activation" on neo-arcadia thou.. AJE hasnt been active here in a looooong time :(

anyone bought and tried this RPI2JAMMA from AJE_FR yet? I sure as H*** want one! :D Still waitin on my "activation" on neo-arcadia thou.. AJE hasnt been active here in a looooong time :(
There are other Pi 2 Jamma edge connectors like ArpiCade and Pi2Jamma which are readily available. Any reason you are on the lookout for RPI2JAMMA? I just wanted to know because I am looking out for a Jamma Edge connector myself, had ArpiCade before (my mate took it from me) which ran really well too.

Back