What's new

FrancoB

Champion
Reaction score
Edit:

This is no longer a 'interest check' thread for pre-orders. as I'm just going to be doing the design work for these and then I'll be releasing the files so you can get your own cases laser cut at Razorlab/Pokono or the vendor of your choice. I'm doing this because:

• I can release various versions with all holes cut for the selector PCB, partial holes cut for the selector PCB, no holes cut for the selector PCB etc etc. You can then mix and match which parts you want to have cut
  • You can get your parts cut in what ever colours you want and you can buy whatever standoffs/feet etc
  • I'm doing this non-profit and so I don't want to have to buy a load of stock in and risk not selling them or not buying enough and not being able to hook people up. This way, people can order one whenever they like as more are produced by Darksoft
  • I don't have to deal with 1000 PMs sorting payment and shipping out :D Not shipping them internationally should make them cheaper for y'all too.

There is a link to the approx prices for the plastics quoted by Razorlab in a post [here].

Please check later in the thread for development. I'll post a link to the finalised files here once complete.

Original Post:

I'm looking to get an acrylic case laser cut for my F3 Multi and I know a couple of others may be interested so I'm starting a thread to bash some ideas around and gauge interest.

I'm thinking of something like the following model:

Initial%20Concept%20With%20Selector%20Case.png

There could be a couple of options. A) like the top part of the model with the selector LCD mounted on the underside of the case or B) with a plain top piece and then with a little enclosure for the selector LCD so it can be used remotely or in another case etc

I'm thinking 3mm red for the bottom of the unit and 3mm clear for the top so you can still see the PCB clearly 8) If possible I'll look to get the Darksoft and Taito F3 logos etched on top too.

The cutout to the right of the LCD selector on the top model is to feed the ribbon cable back through. I spoke to Darksoft about the potential of using right angle connectors but he's already got all of the parts for the selector LCDs so it's not really going to be an option at this point.

As with other projects I'll look to provide all the hardware in a kit so they can be easily assembled. The multi PCB will be mounted between Nylon spacers so there is no metal-metal contact and I'll see what I can do about souring some nice screws etc. I'll probably go with some threaded hex standoffs unless I can find some threaded round ones. I used hex ones on the Run-DMD frames (pic below) and they looked quite nice.

i-bBjCNCH-X2.jpg

The design is in no way finalised though and I'm happy to listen to any ideas etc.

Pricing would depend on the amount I get made but assuming we get some decent numbers from previous experience I would take a guess that they would come in at around £35/$45 depending on options etc.

They should pack nice and flat for shipping and so they should be fairly inexpensive to ship.

Anyway, let me know if you have any ideas/input and if you are interested and I'll start to get some numbers together before sending off for some quotes :thumbup:

Last edited:
Definitely interested
I like the option of having the LCD selector under the cover itself, and the buttons "out" of the cover, like in the big picture :D
Logos will be a nice touch
Price seems ok too

Last edited:
A few ideas/options:

nice beefy round standoffs/spacers would be real nice with some nice metal feet to match the spacers/standoffs
Option for no ribbon cable hole, since I am going to replace the connector with a right angle one.
Black base plexi plate to go under the motherboard
Etched logos ofcourse.

I'll see what I can find regarding spacers etc. I don't think the cart case will need spacers though as the white plastic connectors act as feet. I also don't want too much metal on the underside of the case.

I'm thinking of two main options for the case. One with the LCD cutouts and one without. If you (or anyone else) wanted one with a DIY right angle connector then I would personally add the LCD mounting and button holes to one of the 'plain' plexi tops so you could mount the LCD but not have the rectangular holes :thumbup:

I'm not really sure what the black base plexi would add to it apart from increasing the overall height and the cost? Unless I'm missing something?

Regarding the inside, I think there are 2 options

- Some people would put the PCB + Multi PCB
- Others (like me) will get an unusued game case to put the multi inside, and then connect to the PCB

Will your acrylic case cover both options?

I'm thinking of two main options for the case. One with the LCD cutouts and one without. If you (or anyone else) wanted one with a DIY right angle connector then I would personally add the LCD mounting and button holes to one of the 'plain' plexi tops so you could mount the LCD but not have the rectangular holes
Yes please, I want to use a right angle connector, so I would only need the mounting & buttons holes for the lcd.
I'm not really sure what the black base plexi would add to it apart from increasing the overall height and the cost? Unless I'm missing something?
I want to remove the black plastic base with the fan from the motherboard and just have a black plexi base instead to match the upper plates if possible.

i like everything about it but if i could make one suggestion that would black underneath like previously mentioned and a translucent red for the top to look similar to the original colors. Etched logo would be nice bonus.

I would also be installing my own right-angle connector to the LCD, so I would prefer the top plexi to not have the holes cut for them.

I'd also be interested in another layer of plexi to go underneath these layers with rubber feet for the F3 mainboard itself to sit on.

I don't plan on ever removing the Multi from the F3, so honestly the "middle" layer of red plexi with the holes cut for the cartridge PCB connectors is redundant for my intentions. I'll still take it though if that's the only option.

Ah I understand now.

As you can see from the slots in the bottom piece I'm making mine to fit the cart only. Replacing the mobo base too would make it more complex and expensive and it's not something that I want to do for mine as I have a number of F3 carts which I still want to use and this would stop me from doing so.

If there's enough interest in the 'all in one' version to house the mobo too that you're taking about I could possibly look to design a version for that too.

This is when I wish I had my own CNC laser for doing short runs :D

Count me in for 2x all in one. I have plenty of spare F3 motherboards to play my original carts in so the multi is staying in one and I can use the others for my f3 game carts.

I would definitely be interested in an all in one, housing the motherboard too. Would probably be interested in one for the multi only, but my preference is definitely to sandwich it all together and forget about it :)

Count me in for 2x all in one. I have plenty of spare F3 motherboards to play my original carts in so the multi is staying in one and I can use the others for my f3 game carts.
Lucky ducky ^^

I just had another look at the mobo and it looks like the mounting holes are in the same positions as the ones in the cart. I need to measure properly but if they are then it should be fairly easy to add the bottom mobo piece with no additional changes to the cart pieces and so the three pieces would suit either scenario :thumbup:

The draeing makes more sense now after the explaination. I would personally prefer a top amd bottom piece like in your drawing to protect the multi pcb. Red on bottom an top like the original case but one that is translucent. I think a clear on top would be ok buy less interesting to look at.

How would the multi mount to it or would it just sit on top of the main mb assembled?

As for a 3rd piece for underneath the whole thing would be a nice option but i could do without. mine sits on the standoffs/feet so i wouldnt see the bottom much.

For the lcd perhaps the seperate enclosure and we could just use some 3M tape to mount to top if we wanted to kind of get best of both worlds? Might make the "case" for the multi less tall too.

Regardless of the end design im sure ill buy whatever is offered.

The draeing makes more sense now after the explaination. I would personally prefer a top amd bottom piece like in your drawing to protect the multi pcb. Red on bottom an top like the original case but one that is translucent. I think a clear on top would be ok buy less interesting to look at.

How would the multi mount to it or would it just sit on top of the main mb assembled?

As for a 3rd piece for underneath the whole thing would be a nice option but i could do without. mine sits on the standoffs/feet so i wouldnt see the bottom much.

For the lcd perhaps the seperate enclosure and we could just use some 3M tape to mount to top if we wanted to kind of get best of both worlds? Might make the "case" for the multi less tall too.

Regardless of the end design im sure ill buy whatever is offered.
Apologies for the late reply y'all, I've been decorating all weekend :sleeping:

I think you might be right about the translucent red, I think that would look pretty nice. I just hope that the LCD still displays through ok. I think I have a scrap of red tint at home which I may be able to try.

I think this will end up in a couple of versions. One for the cart only and one for the cart and mobo. I'll try and get some other mock ups done later

To answer your question about how the multi would mount to the cart only version it would be something like as follows.

Code:
S         Screw
====      Top acrylic layer
||
||        Threaded standoff/spacer
||
---       Nylon Washer
====      Multi PCB
||        Nylon Spacer
====      Bottom acrylic layer
S         Screw
Thanks for the show of interest. I'll start getting some numbers together once we've nailed the design(s) down a little more.

make me one for my cps3 board :)
I'm making these for the F3 only. There is someone already making kits for the CPS3.

Definitely would be interested in one of these as well, been MIA lately.

I would be in for a cart and a mobo base....realized my base is cracked pretty heavily, and it will let me sell my Puzzle bobble 4 cart as a whole unit, and not just leave a pcb laying around.

I agree with making the lcd a remote enclosure, and letting end user find a way to mount it. (or offering two versions)
I have several candies this will bounce between (tate/yoko), and some have less space, or different pcb orientations....so being able to access the remote easily from any direction would be really important.

I know you do great work Franco...so I'm sure it will come out fine!

Back