What's new

Coyo5050

Professional
Reaction score
I have a GQ-4X programmer that I have used to program Naomi bios and other things. I am hoping I can program a zero-key pic. I have a PIC16C621A to program. Device is not in the list closest I have is a PIC16C62A and I dont know enough about this stuff to add to list. I used that device to program it and it seems like it programmed. Anyone familiar with this stuff that can help before I just put it in my NETDIMM to see if it works?

Yes, you need a programmer that supports the correct device and can change the required settings prior to burning the device or it won't work

There are several people in your part of the world who may be able to help you out though I believe

Paging @werejag and @twistedsymphony

PIC16f628A is What is used as its pin compatible and easy to get. i can post yu the netboot compiled code.

Also, keep in mind that if there is a "C" in the PIC model name ( as in your case PIC16C621A ) it means it is programmable only ONCE (OTP). So you shouldn't "try" something with those. Use PIC16f628A as werejag suggested...

I have a GQ-4X programmer that I have used to program Naomi bios and other things. I am hoping I can program a zero-key pic. I have a PIC16C621A to program. Device is not in the list closest I have is a PIC16C62A and I dont know enough about this stuff to add to list. I used that device to program it and it seems like it programmed. Anyone familiar with this stuff that can help before I just put it in my NETDIMM to see if it works?
The GQ-4x can program the proper PIC chip for the netbooting. There is a "horror movie-like found footage" tutorial of some dude using that burner just for this application (about 31 minutes in). But you don't have the proper chip for the application. Secure the proper chip, use werejag's code and only werejag's code, maybe review that tutorial, and away you'll go.

Also make sure the settings are correct when you burn it

afaik you can erase & reprogram a c-series as much as you like.
you sure could with the c84
go read the datasheet.

i dont think they have been OTP since the 508/509

I ordered some of the other chips. Does let me program the chip I have though so I dont think it is a write once. It came from a game so data was originally on it.

You'll be fine once you get those chips bud. BTW, that video I posted earlier shows what settings the dude uses to burn the netboot pic with the GQ-4x. He does it in MPLabs 8.92 which is still available for download.

This is one of those processes where I feel like there should be a real walkthrough and a bunch of code somewhere. Maybe it's just because I'm a rookie at this but it deviates from writing a rom. Every time I google it I find "you can google it" as the thing people say on the forum. Sadly I'm not 100% sure of the process myself. I took my zero pic that someone else burned, ripped out the bin, and was able to use that to re-write another one (that seems to be working right now).

I used a Top3000 using Topall Ver8.36. Hopefully some of these options are also in GQ-4X software.
Bin is here: Mega.nz link

Under the Config tab, these are the magical settings:

PIC16F628A Config
Value
1 Erase
All
2 OSC
HS
3 WDTEN
0:Disable
4 PWRTE
0:Enable
5 MCLRE
1:Enable
6 BODEN
0:Disable
7 LVP
1:Enable
8 CPD
1:Disable
9 CP
1: Disable
Then these (I hope I got the Option names right, my win10 window layout cuts the name off a bit)
Option
Value(HEX
User ID
ffff
MEA ID

I get the feeling "OSC HS" oscillator setting is the important setting, as my default isn't HS. That setting is listed here also: http://wiki.pcbotaku.com/wiki/NAOMI_security_PIC

I am also not 100% sure if the order of operations matters, but
1. Erase the chip
2. Blank (verify it is blank)
3. Write the Config (the step I think I missed in the past, and hadn't done when writing normal EERPOMs)
4. Write the bin
5. I re-write the config again because, hell it doesn't seem to matter

Smarter/more- experienced people, please correct me, let's remove the mystery and document a definitive process for this!

when programming pic you don't have to bother with the config if it is already in the compiled bin file (which for this, it is). pic is not atmel avr

I have the Top3000 as well, all the settings are left at default using the software that is provided with the programmer. Works fine.

This is one of those processes where I feel like there should be a real walkthrough and a bunch of code somewhere. Maybe it's just because I'm a rookie at this but it deviates from writing a rom. Every time I google it I find "you can google it" as the thing people say on the forum. Sadly I'm not 100% sure of the process myself. I took my zero pic that someone else burned, ripped out the bin, and was able to use that to re-write another one (that seems to be working right now).

I used a Top3000 using Topall Ver8.36. Hopefully some of these options are also in GQ-4X software.
Bin is here: Mega.nz link

Under the Config tab, these are the magical settings:

PIC16F628A ConfigValue
1 EraseAll
2 OSCHS
3 WDTEN0:Disable
4 PWRTE0:Enable
5 MCLRE1:Enable
6 BODEN0:Disable
7 LVP1:Enable
8 CPD1:Disable
9 CP1: Disable
Then these (I hope I got the Option names right, my win10 window layout cuts the name off a bit)
OptionValue(HEX
User IDffff
MEA ID5068

I get the feeling "OSC HS" oscillator setting is the important setting, as my default isn't HS. That setting is listed here also: http://wiki.pcbotaku.com/wiki/NAOMI_security_PIC

I am also not 100% sure if the order of operations matters, but
1. Erase the chip
2. Blank (verify it is blank)
3. Write the Config (the step I think I missed in the past, and hadn't done when writing normal EERPOMs)
4. Write the bin
5. I re-write the config again because, hell it doesn't seem to matter

Smarter/more- experienced people, please correct me, let's remove the mystery and document a definitive process for this!
I'm always late to the party, but thanks for sharing none the less.

Atta boy :thumbsup: I never understood what is the big secret with the netboot pic files and programming settings. Most people that sell these charge like $10-15 shipped, so even that is not horrible if you dont want to buy a programmer, etc...but yeah, this needs to have a proper write up and stickied on the forum.

Last edited:
Back