What's new

Denson

Student
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have some questions regarding CPS III motherboard graphics issues, and wondered if anyone here could help.

I have several motherboards that have graphical problems, even with known working carts and Simms.

I have thoroughly cleaned the cart and simm slots, but a couple still have completely garbled screens, 2 have garbled sprites and backdrops, and one sometimes works ok, but if the board isn't positioned just right, or if it is touched at all, then bars appear on the screen and/or the graphics mess up completely...

If the problem lies with the PPU, would re-flowing the solder for that chip possibly help? (It's worth pointing out at this stage that I'm not able to do that myself, and would have to pay to get it done!)

The boards are in generally good condition, with no obvious scrapes or gouges, but I will have another good look over them. It just seems like such a waste if they are only to be thrown away, especially since one is part of a kit with matching serials :(

Any advice is greatly appreciated :thumbup: thanks!

have you done a self test via test menu?

I've tested the memory (board and Simms) and all checks ok.. I don't know whether I've run the tests on all faulty boards, but certainly a couple (just re-checked one in case I'd missed something on the test menu) :(

Ok, so today I've managed to re-test my faulty boards, and this time I've made notes so that I don't forget again! ;)

So, the boards test as follows:

2 x have completely corrupt graphics, and won't let me enter the test menu.

1 x has corrupt sprites and backgrounds, but everything tests OK (memory and Simms)

1 x Sprite Ram: NG 24000000
Character Ram: NG 24100000

1 x Character Ram: NG 24100002

1 x Memory checks all OK, Simms 3-5 show as NG (they are known working Simms Nd the slots have been thoroughly cleaned)

Can anyone shine any light on these issues? Especially the board that tests as all ok as it's part of my SF3 kit... :(

Thanks,

Back