What's new

ekorz

Multi Boyz 4 Pi
Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
I'm cobbling together a TC3, and before I try to hook up this shitton of wires I thought I'd verify that my dongle/DVD-R were good to go. When I boot my 246C, I hear enough bings that I think the dongle is fine. I don't see anything other than a black screen though. Other dongles/dvds boot fine.

Next step is I thought I'd need to at least have the Gun IO plugged in to the USB port, but that involves the shitton of wiring, so I thought I'd ask here -- anyone know what the minimum is to get TC3 to boot? Maybe I shouldn't need any more than power, in which case my DVD might be bad.

have you tried both 15K and 31K resolution modes? I think some games only work in 15K mode. I don't know for sure but where TC3 uses CRT guns it might be one of them.

also have you tried booting directly into test mode? Sometimes that bypasses certain hardware checks.

I'm running just 15khz. Sadly neither my 246 nor 256 seem to want to use test mode. It's just the dip on the left correct? They just keep booting to a game.

Oh nevermind, looks like you flip the dip after the game has booted...

Edit: so my tc3 never gets far enough that toggling the dip does anything. I will try hunting down a different DVD source
other edit: all dvd sources i can find seem to be the same. loads up fine in DAEMON Tools (size is 3,178,233,856 bytes).

Back to wondering if the gun IO is required... guess i'll dig out the wiring next.

Last edited:
TC3 is 15K only 246 only will boot with no i/o connected and the mame chd converted back to a cd image works for a disc.
Note when TC3 boots up you get the ding sounds and the screen remains black and looks like nothing is happening no disc activity etc for a minute or 2 then you get a black screen with the white text showing loading program, textures etc and goes to attract mode from there.

TC3 is 15K only 246 only will boot with no i/o connected and the mame chd converted back to a cd image works for a disc.
Note when TC3 boots up you get the ding sounds and the screen remains black and looks like nothing is happening no disc activity etc for a minute or 2 then you get a black screen with the white text showing loading program, textures etc and goes to attract mode from there.
no io? Cool that limits the variables considerably. Thanks!

no io? Cool that limits the variables considerably. Thanks!
Hey Ekorz...I have EVERYTHING for a TC3...wiring, 24v power supply, 246, disc/dongle, main psu....i mean everything. If you wind up short on something, let me know.

As far as the troubleshooting, the 246 does NOT need any IO as stated above. (TC2 did, which makes it a pain to bench)
Although, if you have the IO in, and volume loud enough, you can actually hear the disc spinning though the speakers as the motor whirs up. :D
If you are getting nothing but a black screen, you need to check the voltage at the 246 first...check 5v and 12v with a meter. After that, can you get any other game to run on that 246? Cause the DVDrom is the next possible failing point....

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Namco_System_246/256
This is a good source of detailed info if you need it.

Thanks @bagheera369. Yep I can get SC3 to run on this DVD drive. Bought another one tonight just in case it's picky though. I will grab my meter and check the 5v and 12v again. I set them a few days ago but maybe each game is different. I also may not be waiting long enough, sc3 boots to the white loading text pretty quickly so I assumed tc3 would be as fast.

Update: it was a bad dongle. Didn't need any io at all to get it to boot

Last edited:
Back