What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
A lot of people are opting for adapting ATX PSUs due to the high cost of legit JVS (NAOMI) PSUs. the problem is you can't tweak the voltage.
This video popped up in my feed today with some ideas on modifying an ATX PSU for adjustable output:

Watched it, he's not recommending you to actually use this because you will need to disable/bypass protection circuitry to be able to adjust voltage up and down.

Watched it, he's not recommending you to actually use this because you will need to disable/bypass protection circuitry to be able to adjust voltage up and down.
yes but only because he's trying to get voltages WAY out of spec (ie 16V output on the 12V rail). I'd suspect the protections can be left in place for minor adjustment +/- .1V on the 3.3 and 5V rails.

yes but only because he's trying to get voltages WAY out of spec (ie 16V output on the 12V rail). I'd suspect the protections can be left in place for minor adjustment +/- .1V on the 3.3 and 5V rails.
Yes, that's right, so it would make this an alternative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeNAhP-GIjo&feature=youtu.be&t=5m

Personally I just buy three separate open frame Meanwell PSUs. One for 3.3V, one for 5V and one for 12V. Slightly overkill I guess, but I like that I can adjust all three voltages easily. Price wise they're not too bad as they're under 20 euros each.

MEAN WELL LPS-75-3.3, 50W, 15A
MEAN WELL LPS-75-5, 75W, 15A
MEAN WELL LPS-75-12, 75W, 6.2A

For comparison Sun PSU is 12A @ 3.3V, 10A @ 5V & 2A @ 12V.

All three are 222mm x 55mm, so might be a tight squeeze in some places.

Wow, that is a nice idea. Could you take some photos of the PSUs side by side? I would like to see how much area they use.

Well, the area is slightly larger than 222mm x 165mm (I leave 10mm between PSU), so roughly 8.75" x 7.30".

Then there's also the wiring to consider. I wire everything to ground strips for distribution, so that needs additional space.

Back