What's new
What "magic" is specifically done to make the TMNT2 stock ROMs work on a Sunset Riders board?
I'm guessing nothing?

Regarding the ROMs used for Turtles 2 conversion, they are "stock" ROMs from mame, no hacking this time.And yes, it requires a bit of magic to get this job done.
Reads like it's something else done to the board.

If the ROM isn't modified that would mean desoldering the customs (053990 and 051550) from sac board(s) and soldering them into Sunset's PCB (removing in the process the 054358).

Hello,

Guys, plz dont blind-guess what is needed to convert a SS ->>Turtles2.Have you repaired a konami board belonging in the SS/Turtles2 family (asterix, thunder cross2, bells1, vendetta, simpsons, parodius1, etc...) ? If the answer is yes, you guys know the designation of custom chips/block diagram of these PCBs. Reading MAMEs source code is good, but sometimes not enough.
And yes, magic is needed to do that conversion.Also it is required love/dedication for games in general, and electronic skills specifically.
Now that i have confirmed you, that the conversion ss-->>>Turtles2 is possible, plz tell me if it is possible to convert other konami games.

Have a good evening, Dragos.

Hello,

Guys, plz dont blind-guess what is needed to convert a SS ->>Turtles2.Have you repaired a konami board belonging in the SS/Turtles2 family (asterix, thunder cross2, bells1, vendetta, simpsons, parodius1, etc...) ? If the answer is yes, you guys know the designation of custom chips/block diagram of these PCBs. Reading MAMEs source code is good, but sometimes not enough.
And yes, magic is needed to do that conversion.Also it is required love/dedication for games in general, and electronic skills specifically.
Now that i have confirmed you, that the conversion ss-->>>Turtles2 is possible, plz tell me if it is possible to convert other konami games.

If you do know what is required to convert these boards, why not share? This forum is full of magicians.

Hello,

I never said that i know how to convert SS--->>>Turtles2. I said that it is possible to do that thing.Big diference.

Hello,

If you do know what is required to convert these boards, why not share? This forum is full of magicians.
Google is your friend :thumbsup:

Good luck, Dragos

Thanks for the helpful info. You spoke like you knew the method, dissuading other members here from hypothesizing. Abracadabra.

Last edited:
I guess he means the magic PAL's that get replaced with GAL's, and the missing component(s) on the Sunset Riders pcb that needs to be added?

I've been holding off on this one as well, Sunset Riders is such a great game.

Here is the other problem (aside from needing to be a wizard/buddies with Harry Potter)...

no-wizards-allowed.gif

Sunset Riders has the correct PCB yes, but what's the source for the custom chips?
If you need to scrap other Konami boards to source the customs, wouldn't this conversion actually involve a few Konami boards?

22-Toilet-Steven-Rodrig-Upcycle-PCB-Sculptures-from-used-Electronics-www-designstack-co.jpg

Being that we're already scrapping a Sunset for this conversion, how many other good games need to die just to make one Turtles in Time?

60625.jpg

Could this method (assuming it actually works) ever be thought of as viable in any real/meaningful form?
IMO...
342564.gif
No (not when you must scrap potentially 3 good/decent original PCBs/games to make 1).

It's better for everyone to pony up the 400$ for a real TiT and call it a day.
The only disclaimer to this statement... If you already own a pile of dead Konami PCB's to source the customs from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Guys, if you know that the conversion is it going to work by replacing the 051550, 053990, 054358 chips, etc... plz go ahead and try for yourself and make the conversion, i am curious about the result if it works, and perhaps post some pics. :thumbsup: Google, Harry Potter is your friend, if in trouble, ask him !

Have a good night, Dragos.

Good luck finding those custom IC's! By the time you've sourced them, you will have exceeded the average market cost for TMNT2 (aka hustling backwards).

Many Konami conversions are possible, but not economically feasible due to the fact they require custom Konami IC's otherwise not present.

Also, asking bluntly "what games can be converted" on a public forum won't get ya very far. Do the leg work yourself, read the mame source code, experiment to see what is possible.

For the record, no Sunset Riders won't work. And you won't source the missing IC's without exceeding the cost of a real
TMNT2. There is a game that is a 1:1 conversion, but that is the only clue you get.

There is a game that is a 1:1 conversion, but that is the only clue you get.
Ohhh...first "Magic" was required for a conversion, and now there's secret "Clues" that will lead us to The Chosen Board (Quiz Gakumon no Susume) that will work.

Honestly, these unspecific and vague statements are worse than useless IMHO.

Honestly, these unspecific and vague statements are worse than useless IMHO.
So what do you want, a how to make conversions for dummies guide published? The worse than useless part of my post was the point of it.

And even if anyone obtains a quiz Gakumon, I hope you have the JED source to recreate the 20pin PLD (that isn't dumped). If you don't have it or don't know how to work around it, the conversion WILL NOT work.

The price of SF2 CE and major title 2 are bad enough as it is. They didn't suddenly become popular... people posted how to guides and the price of the donor became on par with the price of an original.

Yep, a conversion guide is EXACTLY what me and the OP are looking for.

It's a good thing that SF2 CE and MT2 are both useful donor boards for conversions to rare, almost unobtainable, better games. Otherwise those boards would be filling up landfills because no one would want them. It's recycling at its best. I have several converted SF2 CE and MT2 boards myself.

I don't agree with the practice of selling conversions to make a profit, but for personal use I'm all for it.

So what do you want, a how to make conversions for dummies guide published?
no one is asking for a "for dummies guide", this thread was asking for "feasibility" which boils down to two things.
1. is it possible
and
2. if so what are the bullet point items that would need to be done, and the gotchas to avoid.

if you think it's too hard, or too expensive, or too much for people to do that's fine but this is a technical form filled with highly skilled and technical people post up what you know and let THEM decide if it's not worth it.

If you know but feel like NOT sharing that information for whatever reason then simply refrain from entering the conversation.

Saying it requires "magic", or just giving people "clues" and complaining that they're not doing the leg work themselves just makes you come off like a smug asshole.

Forums like this exist to share knowledge, we're here because we want to build on each other's knowledge and share what what we know and what we've discovered, it's not a dick-swinging competition about who's 1337 enough to figure out the secrets on their own.

The sad fact of the matter today, demand is starting to outstrip supply.
Prices are increasing in-sync with an awareness and popularity rise within the public as a whole.
mcgonagall-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqNLFz2QTH6RCwPE4UPA-sBRU1v4-iou4WDzY51a765KI.jpg

This brings about the age of conversions and multi-carts, I not only welcome it... I want to hasen its arrival. :thumbsup:
fOtnu0G.jpg

Politics aside, the original idea here is a simple two part question... :!:

1: CAN another Konmai PCB be converted into a TMNT2?
Short answer...
A1: YES
Long answer...
A1S: Requires more skillz (the z makes it 1337) than most have, unless starting with the equally rare Quiz game.

2: Is it economically feasible to do so?
Short answer...
A2: NO
Long answer...
A2S: The only disclaimer here stands, IF you have a ton of dead Konami boards to harvest customs from.
Then... Maybe.

P.S. The "S" in A1&2S stands for secret. :whistling:

Screen-Shot-2017-01-02-at-4.43.24-PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Darksoft and I actually appear to have some differing opinions on the subject of conversions.

I'm going to admit here that I'm not a big fan of conversions. And while we allow a lot more leeway here than other forums, mostly because some of our projects were considered conversions and "bootlegs" under other forums' rules, I don't want to be known as the wild west of arcade forums. I think Darksoft and I need to discuss this issue further.

The main thing I look at when considering the impact of conversions is SFII:CE. This pcb used to be plentiful and cheap. It was a $50 pcb for more than a decade straight. Now it is not easy to come by and the average price seems to be North of $150 when NOT on Ebay. Yet people still say its a common pcb. Well, it's not anymore. Period.

I will say this, I don't think we should allow conversion guides to be posted. Info stating what is necessary may be ok but not the procedure. Also, noone should be pressured to release info. There is good reason for people to not want to release some of these things. My opinion.

Hello,

Things are starting to heat up real quick on this topic ! :evil:
It seems that Turtles 2 is a sought after game ! Kinda unobtainuim.
unobtainium.jpg

Back on tracks, enough of this bu***it.On this thread there are several categories of ppl:
1.The ones who got the "Know-how" but dont want to share .
2.The ones who want to do the conversion, and are in need of a pdf tutorial, nicely formatted/explained + self explanatory pics + BOM.
3.The ones that have seen the conversion in the wild, and thinks that "magic" and "clues" are needed to do it.
4.The ones that are too affraid (lazy) and dont want to experiment on their SS boards, to find the conversion secrets.
5.Put-your-category-here, aka im-missing-something.

Next, I think that no pcb board need to be butchered to obtain the custom components.Only one pcb board (Sunset Riders) is needed.
butcher_by_michelle84-d3ipoom.jpg

I have been asked that the conversion from Sunset -->>Turttles 2 can be made/feasible, the answer is
: Yes. Want proof ? Here you are : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turtles-in-Time-Pcb-/152629190620?hash=item2389689fdc:g:WzEAAOSw8GtZVWX-

1: CAN another Konmai PCB be converted into a TMNT2?
Short answer...
A1: YES
Long answer...
A1S: Requires more skillz (the z makes it 1337) than most have, unless starting with the equally rare Quiz game. YES, Requires "magic"/"clues"/"1337"

2: Is it economically feasible to do so?
Short answer...
A2: NO YES

Long answer...
A2S: The only disclaimer here stands, IF you have a ton of dead Konami boards to harvest customs from.

Then... Maybe. YES

Offtopic, (some) konami games/boards can be converted to other games/boards, have you spotted them ?

May the force be with you, Dragos.

Back