What's new

SwaggaJackin

Beginner
Reaction score
Had my cousins over and one stepping on the LCD module board and is now cracked and displays no characters. I ordered this (LCD only):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-Blue-Yel...var=451365311689&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Desoldered the old LCD board and put that on, backlight works but also no characters so guessing it wasn't exact drop in.

Where can I get another LCD board to replace my broken one? I can still write games and switch but I have to do it blind. I have the tools necessary to desolder/resolder a new one on. Thanks.

hmm I was under the impression that most (all?) 16 pin character displays conformed to the HD44780 standard for communication.

I don't own a CPS2 multi but I do have some experience with these displays...

Are you sure your contrast is adjusted properly? In my experience after wiring up one of these displays the first problem is that the contrast is either too light (it appears blank) or it's too dark (you see solid squares all the way across) and you need to tweak the contrast to hit the sweet spot in order to see the text.

Also in my experience if the display isn't receiving character data you'll see squares across the first row with the rest of the rows blank.

It's not a contrast issue, there's just no character data there because as you described, the top row is squares and the bottom row has nothing.

wow this is really nice to know. as a just in case my screen take damage or cracks. I will for sure pay attention to this thread. thanks for the insight.

PS: Did you cousin pay for it? Or at least buy you some brews?

I'll be travelling for the next couple of days so can't confirm. The LCD itself is used with arduino, so a quick compare to what is on e bay should be enough.

I have no idea. lol. Sorry. Darksoft will have to let us know. I'd like to stock up on a few for repairs.

I'm going to try another 2x7 Ribbon cable as I'm going to assume that perhaps him stepping on it damaged it because if I wiggle it a bit I see the squares disappear and reappear so something is jittery. Will post back after the new cable arrives.

I'm going to try another 2x7 Ribbon cable as I'm going to assume that perhaps him stepping on it damaged it because if I wiggle it a bit I see the squares disappear and reappear so something is jittery. Will post back after the new cable arrives.
Maybe you cracked a joint/broke a trace on the bottom board that the lcd mounts on.

are you still able to change between games with the busted board? Even without being able to see what game you are switching to.

Then you could determine whether the board itself is totaled or if it's just the screen

No, I totally didn't already say that.
635807161109124288-167399039_was-that-sarcasm.jpg

Replaced the cable, same issue. Nothing but white squares on the LCD. LCD module is still able to select/write games but must be done blind as no characters get displayed on the LCD using these arduino ebay replacements.

There's some jumpers on the back of the arduino lcd pcbs, maybe one of these needs to be set?

Replaced the cable, same issue. Nothing but white squares on the LCD. LCD module is still able to select/write games but must be done blind as no characters get displayed on the LCD using these arduino ebay replacements.

There's some jumpers on the back of the arduino lcd pcbs, maybe one of these needs to be set?
Can you take pics of the back of the LCD that Darksoft uses? It might have an identifier # or jumper??

Here you are. Pictures of the backs of both the control board, and the model number of the LCD (1602B2):

IMG_3605.JPG

IMG_3604.JPG

UPDATE:

Issue is fixed. The Ebay Arduino LCD's work fine. So original cable was damaged. I bought a replacement cable, and it didn't work and sometimes would work but the characters were garbage/garbled.

The problem? Cable length. Replacement cable was too long (148cm). Purchased a 1.5 ft. cable, works fine now.

Last edited:
Back