What's new

XeD

Grand Master
Reaction score
I was ask to consolise a cps3. What are people using these day for composite , s-video, component, and hdmi out put? Am I better telling the guy to get the OSSC?

I was ask to consolise a cps3. What are people using these day for composite , s-video, component, and hdmi out put? Am I better telling the guy to get the OSSC?
Since the CPS3 is Jamma-based, I'd personally recommend getting a JROK "RGB to Component Video, Composite Video & S-Video Encoder ( v4.x )" and one of their Sync Strippers (in case you need it):
http://www.jrok.com/hardware/RGB.html
It does composite/s-video/component.

For some reason I thought the jrok encoder was discontinued. Good to know that is still on option. After talking to the guy some more, it turn out. He has a framemeister. This could be an easy build

I'v been going crazy over this the last few days. I'm starting to think ntsc/svideo is the best way to go outside of ossc. In your case just wire up scart. On an off topic question; does wiring RGB to VGA work on gonbes or ossc for both 31khz and 15khz? Like do I wire RGBHSVS on with a seperate switch for rgb ground and vga ground and not worry about the composite sync or do I wire all 3 sync some how? I wanted to piggyback VGA for my dreamcast and my new supergun setup. I'm just in planning stages. Since I want a new supergun and my spare Dreamcast is getting torn apart for cleaning/painting. I wanted to vga mod my Dreamcast but I want it working for both RGB and VGA (For KOF 99). And for jamma RGBS, should I split the sync line or do I wire that to pin 9 (I believe) and will OSSC or its lesser counter part be able to work with it? Or will it need both VS and HS?

does wiring RGB to VGA work on gonbes or ossc for both 31khz and 15khz?
I gave my Gonbes away (good riddance to bad rubbish) but yes if I remember correctly it WILL accept 15khz RGB via VGA port IF C-sync is wired to pin13 (normally H-sync in VGA head).
As for the OSSC, no analog lowpass filters on VGA port... So even if it would accept 15khz that way (never tested it and never will) it would be inferior to SCART connector (which includes filtering).

VGA port on OSSC is designed for 31khz video (separate H/V-Syncs) and if you want to connect a Dreamcast to it that way (VGA) it looks fantastic.
I would recommend against the internal VGA mod however, especially if you also want 15khz (but I have no idea why you would want that).
If (for some strange reason) you want 15khz RGB video from Dreamcast, wire up a SCART head to the end of that cord after making the necessary changes to a VGA box.

Last edited by a moderator:
does wiring RGB to VGA work on gonbes or ossc for both 31khz and 15khz?
I gave my Gonbes away (good riddance to bad rubbish) but yes if I remember correctly it WILL accept 15khz RGB via VGA port IF C-sync is wired to pin13 (normally H-sync in VGA head).As for the OSSC, no analog lowpass filters on VGA port... So even if it would accept 15khz that way (never tested it and never will) it would be inferior to SCART connector (which includes filtering).

VGA port on OSSC is designed for 31khz video (separate H/V-Syncs) and if you want to connect a Dreamcast to it that way (VGA) it looks fantastic.
I would recommend against the internal VGA mod however, especially if you also want 15khz (but I have no idea why you would want that).
If (for some strange reason) you want 15khz RGB video from Dreamcast, wire up a SCART head to the end of that cord after making the necessary changes to a VGA box.
Thanks for the reply. Only reason I want RGB from the Dreamcast is because both King of Fighters 99 don't work on VGA. Plus Jojo's didn't originally work (But this is a mute point). Apparently the H/V-syncs are active in RGB mode. but I don't know what signal its sending, so I don't know if I have to wire the C-sync as well. I might have to put that on a switch. As far as VGA boxes go, they're hard to find :P. Unless I buy one of those all in ones that does it already does VGA and SCART. Which is an option. Another question, I know they're obviously not good, but for around 30 bucks, why does everyone hate Gonbes? I'm running one now on my CPS3 setup and I was able to play Third Strike better than I was on my PS3 or PS2. I know they don't compare to Framemeister or OSSC, but I find them decent enough.

but I don't know what signal its sending
It (being the Dreamcast) sends what you tell it to send... Aka jumper it for VGA (31khz) and it spits out separate H/V-Sync, jumper it for SCART (15khz) it spits out C-Sync, the RGB pins are unchanged.

Again another reason why you should buy a VGA box over a internal mod solution... And I'm not trying to be mean here... You don't understand sync modes (or the selecting of these modes via grounding) associated with frequency. Please don't experiment on a working Dreamcast, or at least do a bunch more reading before you do.

You may find the quality of the Gonbes acceptable, but once you've seen it side-by-side with a "real" solution (Mini or OSSC) you'll understand. ;)

but I don't know what signal its sending
It (being the Dreamcast) sends what you tell it to send... Aka jumper it for VGA (31khz) and it spits out separate H/V-Sync, jumper it for SCART (15khz) it spits out C-Sync, the RGB pins are unchanged.
Again another reason why you should buy a VGA box over a internal mod solution... And I'm not trying to be mean here... You don't understand sync modes (or the selecting of these modes via grounding) associated with frequency. Please don't experiment on a working Dreamcast, or at least do a bunch more reading before you do.

You may find the quality of the Gonbes acceptable, but once you've seen it side-by-side with a "real" solution (Mini or OSSC) you'll understand. ;)
I know what the syncs are well enough. Obviously not nearly as well as an electrical engineer. I was just reading that when you set the jumper for RGB the H/V-Sync are still on. I was curious as to what was coming out of them, when the Dreamcast outputs the C-Sync for RGB. Like; are those frequencies still at 31 khz? But yeah, I know the RGB stays the same, I was just wondering why H/V-Sync are still on in RGB mode.

I went digging deeper. Looks like Hanzo and Kuro do what I want. Is their a difference between the two? I know they're made by the same people, but they appear to offer the same functionality? I was thinking of getting a OSSC, have you tried either of them in 15 khz mode? You were mentioning OSSC not acceping 15khz over VGA.

Yes, I'm sure OSSC looks a hell of a lot better, but $30 vs 100+, it's not that bad ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Even after extensive modifications, I was really unhappy with the Gonbes (recapped, sync stripped, etc). The video was full of artifacts and shimmering, and is very shaky. I'd be happier playing emulated CPS3 than going back to that honestly. I'm glad to be past that era when I messed around with cheap encoders.

Even after extensive modifications, I was really unhappy with the Gonbes (recapped, sync stripped, etc). The video was full of artifacts and shimmering, and is very shaky. I'd be happier playing emulated CPS3 than going back to that honestly. I'm glad to be past that era when I messed around with cheap encoders.
Weird. I heard clones are really bad. While I'm not saying mine isn't one, cause I don't know for sure (Got it from Paradise), I have none of these issues. Do you think you've gotten a bad apple?

Last edited:
Gonbes isn't exactly a name brand, there all cheap low-cost china products. The "good ones" have some improved pre-configured settings from vendors who placed large enough orders to demand they shipped with their desired settings, but all of them have horrible lag and the scaling mechanism is pretty terrible and you get very inconsistent results depending on what system you're converting.

Dreamcast looks great on OSSC, this is my DC outputting VGA (31khz) to it...
PxG2wKq.jpg

nZWFaRV.jpg

Also just to clarify... OSSC has zero issues with 15khz output from Dreamcast, what I'm saying is use the SCART connector/port for 15khz (NOT the VGA connector/port).

Gonbes isn't exactly a name brand, there all cheap low-cost china products. The "good ones" have some improved pre-configured settings from vendors who placed large enough orders to demand they shipped with their desired settings, but all of them have horrible lag and the scaling mechanism is pretty terrible and you get very inconsistent results depending on what system you're converting.
I've had to use them in a pinch, but only for someone elses machine. It just sucks that it seems the only options are the $20 or $30 gonbes POS, or jump to $200 or $300 for xrgb/ossc. I wish there was a halfway decent option somewhere in the middle.

I've had to use them in a pinch, but only for someone elses machine. It just sucks that it seems the only options are the $20 or $30 gonbes POS, or jump to $200 or $300 for xrgb/ossc. I wish there was a halfway decent option somewhere in the middle.
you and me both...

seriously the OSSC is "open source" right? I'm waiting for the Chinese to start manufacturing them in bulk and selling them for pennies on the dollar... you know the dooms day thing that everyone says will happen to open source hardware...

you and me both...
seriously the OSSC is "open source" right? I'm waiting for the Chinese to start manufacturing them in bulk and selling them for pennies on the dollar... you know the dooms day thing that everyone says will happen to open source hardware...
Given it is open source, I've never actually seen the source or the PCB manufacturing files offered up for those who want to roll their own device (though I do know they sell a bare PCB option) - I assume that's why you put "open source"?

Edit: schematics are available

seriously the OSSC is "open source" right? I'm waiting for the Chinese to start manufacturing them in bulk and selling them for pennies on the dollar
You aren't thinking big enough my friend...

Imagine if you will, a world where LG integrates the components of the OSSC onto a successor to the B6 OLED and then offers a SCART port directly on the back of the unit!
How many of us would buy a TV like that? 8o With the promise of 240p 5x 4K SCART support right out of the MF'n box!!!!!1111

You aren't thinking big enough my friend...
Imagine if you will, a world where LG integrates the components of the OSSC onto a successor to the B6 OLED and then offers a SCART port directly on the back of the unit!
How many of us would buy a TV like that? 8o With the promise of 240p 5x 4K SCART support right out of the MF'n box!!!!!1111
TV manufacturers no longer care about low resolution inputs. You are lucky if your new TV even has them, let alone processes them reasonably. Most people with high end setups already rely on external AVRs to handle their inputs and upconvert everything to HDMI for their display.
-ud

honestly I'm much happier with an external processor for that stuff. I can use it whatever TV I want or on a Projector, in an arcade machine etc. and I'm not at the mercy if the manufacture screwing it up to try to cut corners.

Back