What's new

Coyo5050

Professional
Reaction score
The monitor seemed a bit on the dim side but when I put Maximum Speed it was like I was driving through the night with no lights on, I could barely see anything on the screen. Brightness maxed and it is definitely too dim. Not sure what setup is in this cabinet but the sticker on the tube says a63afw36x. Pic attached.

Where should I start to troubleshoot this?

Attachments

• Atomiswave-monitor.jpg
    Atomiswave-monitor.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 399
There are voltage and focus pots on the flyback. The flyback looks like this:

Pc_Monitor_Flyback_Transformer.jpg

One pot is for voltage (usually the bottom one), the other is for focus (possibly two pots, if dual focus).

Turn on your monitor, set your brightness and contrast pots roughly half way and carefully adjust the voltage pot.

tube says a63afw36x
yes, that is your tube number... fairly useless when troubleshooting a monitor :whistling:

Take some pictures of the chassis (the monitor PCB) as that can give us a better idea. I know the atomiswave sit-down drivers use WG D9200 monitors, so I wouldn't be surprised if the upright is similar.

As nem said. try adjusting the voltage on the Flyback first... if the voltage is too low the picture will be dim, if it's too high you'll usually get diagonal white lines crawling the screen.

What I usually do is:
1. turn the brightness all the way up, and the contrast all the way down,
2. adjust the voltage on the flyback up until you start seeing the white lines, then once you see them turn it back down until they disappear again.
3. adjust the brightness/contrast as needed.

If you're paranoid about getting zapped by your monitor they do make plastic/wood adjustment tools (basically just long wood or plastic screwdrivers). or just wear some rubber gloves :)

Take some pictures of the chassis (the monitor PCB) as that can give us a better idea. I know the atomiswave sit-down drivers use WG D9200 monitors, so I wouldn't be surprised if the upright is similar.
As an ex-AW Universal owner, mine had a D9200, so you're probably dead on unless it's been replaced (or mine was, ha).

After the Nanaos it's one of the better Tri-Syncs you can get IMO. at least it's way easier to find parts for.

can you put up a photo of the chassis, awsd cabs had wei ya 3129d fitted but I imagine you have a u.s built aw cab-not sure of what chassis would be in there as I have never seen one

I will have time tomorrow to look. I need to dissasemble part of the back of the cabinet to get to the chassis. They dont make it easy on this one.

search for nanao on ebay and subscribe to that search. working MS9s pop up all the time. Yaton had 20 or 30 of them up there for a few weeks at $75 a piece for working ones.

He had a bunch of MS8s too so I bought 2 spares for my E29s.

none of them are ever labeled "MS9" or "MS8" though because it doesn't actually state that on the chassis anywhere so unless the person listing knows their shit it's just a nanao brand chassis.

so crazy busy week finally got a chance to do what was suggested. Adjusted the voltage and everything is a lot better. With the brightness and contrast all the way up the game is very playable. I still have to take it apart to find out the right monitor for sure since keeping at max brightness and contrast prob not good. With the shooting and fighting games i can turn those both down a bit. Suppose thats because they are not nightime driving games.

Back