What's new

iCEQB

Student
Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently acquired a Sega Lindbergh and I'm now on the hunt for some Sega I/O's.
Now I know there seem to be Revisions 1, 2 and 3 so far (at least to my knowledge), but for the love of god I can't make up any sense out of these models with the info available online.

A year ago I bought a Naomi 2 with 2 Sega I/O's from a guy who refered to them as Rev.A and Rev.B, here are some pics of them:

Rev. A:
dsc_0759giufn.jpg

Rev. B:
dsc_0760xwu2k.jpg

So I was looking online at what I have on hand and what type of I/O's they are, but there doesn't seem to be any clear answer how they should be called.

I tried to create a little list with all the info I could get in the hope to maybe identify the I/O Types with that 83*-*****-** model number:

Code:
Sega 837-13551
Sega 837-13551-92
Sega 837-13844-02        - Type 2
Sega 837-14505
Sega 837-14572           - Type 3
Sega 837-14645           - Type 2
Sega 838-13683-93*       - Rev.B
Sega 838-13683-02*       - Rev.A?

That also didn't made any sense, I'm pretty sure my I/O's are probably the oldest which are around, but would be the newest if I'd go by my list. There is also a Type 3 in the middle Type 2's so that's probably not the right way to identify these :D

I looked at the Arcade Otaku JVS Wiki page which seems to be the only place with collected information about the Sega I/O's, but they also never use the terms Rev. 1, 2 or 3.

So my questions are:

1) When going by the term Revision 1, 2 and 3, what would be my I/O's ?
2) Are Revision 1, 2 and 3 terms that Sega used? Or did that came up in the arcade scene for "simplicity" ? :D
3) What qualifies an I/O's as Revision 1, 2 and 3 ?
4) Are there more I/O models than the listed above ?

I hope you guys can help me out here :)

Kindest regards,
iCEQB

Last edited:
That thing is previous to Type 1, it's JAMMA JVS. It will not work with all Lindbergh games, but for sure fighting ones, tennis, etc.

Sega JVS Type 1:
type1.jpg
This should be compatible with 99% of NAOMI titles and most Lindbergh and later Sega JVS games. The only CF/NET Boot NAOMI games that this does not work with is Sega Bass Fishing. Trackball games such as Outrigger and Virtua Golf Also need the trackball I/O IN ADDITION to this (or other) I/O PCBs
This is the I/O board you'd find in a Net City or NAOMI Universal

Sega JVS Type 1.5:
type1.5.jpg
Just a newer revision of the type 1, noticed the SMD Chip instead of the large socketed chip.
I believe this is the board you'd find in a Lindbergh Universal.

Sega JVS Type 2 (without Serial port):
type2.jpg
Used for a small handful of titles (I believe it was on F355 Challenge), it's a really versatile I/O board because the dipswitches change up the functionality of the pins but but it's compatibility is pretty shitty compared to the other I/Os, and the pinout is different than the other I/Os too so I'd recommend AVOIDING.

Sega JVS Type 2 (With Serial port):
dsc01380.jpg
Same as the other Type 2 but with the addition of the serial port in the top left.

Sega JVS Type 3:
type3.jpg
A later revision of the Type 1/1.5 It should be compatible with everything that the 1/1.5 is and then some. if you notice this looks identical to the 1.5 with an additional connector on the left side for more outputs, this is why compatibility should be better. This was found on later Lindbergh games and RingEdge Games. However some older games don't like this I/O board for some reason. Certain Sega titles on Lindbergh/RingEdge titles (mostly Gun and Driving games with a lot of outputs) require this IO specifically.

Sega JVS Trackball I/O
trackball.jpg
used on trackball games like Outtrigger and Virtua Golf, this needs to attach as a secondary I/O chained to the primary I/O. (the Type 2 supports trackballs itself but the games wont recognize it unless it's setup as a secondary I/O, you can actually chain a Type 2 off of another I/O board and use it in place of the trackball I/O) Also... look at the cute kitty in the top left :-3

Sega JVS to JAMMA I/O Rev A:
dsc_0759giufn.jpg
Theses were designed to give JVS Compatibly to cabs like the Blast City and Versus City, Cabs that already had an audio Amp 3.3V PSU and Tri-sync monitor but were lacking a JVS I/O board.

These have decent compatibility, the Jumper will change the function of the header on the left from extra inputs (for a kick harness) to extra outputs (for billboard support or lamps). So some games are only compatibility in one position or the other depending on what they need.

Sega JVS to JAMMA I/O Rev B:
dsc_0760xwu2k.jpg
Compatibility wise it's no different than the Rev A, just a newer revision.

Sega JVS to JAMMA Converter:
sega_jamma_converter.JPG
This metal box contained a version of the Rev A board above in addition to a 3.3V DC-DC converter and an audio amp. This is for even older JAMMA cabs that lacked a proper 3.3V PSU and onboard audio amp.

Capcom JVS to JAMMA Converter:
capcom_jamma_converter.jpg
People seem to gravitate toward this one but really it's not much different than the Sega JVS to JAMMA converter above. one nice feature is that it's got the CPS2 style kick harness connector. and it has a switch to switch the CPS2 connector from kick-harness mode to 4-player expansion mode. it lacks any output pins however, and it lacks a JVS input connector so it cannot be chained, so that means any games that require output pins (such as Virtual On) or games that require a secondary I/O (such as Outtrigger or Virtua Golf) are not compatible

There are other Sega JVS I/O boards but once you get past the above they start to become very obscure in their usage and compatibility. Honestly the Type 2 belongs in this category IMO but enough people ask about it that it's worth mentioning.

Cliff Notes:
If you're only playing shmups/fighters/puzzle and other genres that just use a stick and buttons and all of these I/O boards will work with probably everything you want to play. the only time compatibility becomes an issue is when you're trying to play games with non-standard controls, or a lot of additional outputs for lights or force feedback and other features.

So you're better off choosing based on your cab:
If you're only playing NAOMI then a Type 1 will be what you want. If you're playing Lindbergh/Ringedge Racers and Gun games as well then go for a Type 3 instead.
If you have a Blast City/Versus City or other tri-sync sega cab buy a Sega JVS to JAMMA I/O (either is fine)
If you have an older JAMMA cab then buy either the Sega or Capcom JVS to JAMMA Converter

Last edited:
@twistedsymphony

thank you so much for that list and explaination !!
This is exactly what I was looking for and what is needed imo ! :)

There seem to be a few pics which don't work, would be awesome if you could fix them :)

I was also digging around a bit and also found this here:

s-l1600s8krh.jpg

It looks like what everyone calls "Rev. B" but actually says it's a Rev. A.

The type 3 is great but is not 100% compatible with games that came with type 1 or 1.5. For example, Afterburner Climax on the Lindbergh WILL NOT work with type 3 but works fine with type 1, 1.5, and 2. There may be others.

There seem to be a few pics which don't work, would be awesome if you could fix them
Which ones don't work? they all appear to be working for me.
https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?attachments/5307/

https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?attachments/5308/

https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?attachments/5309/

https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?attachments/5310/

https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?attachments/5311/

The pictures show as their filenames linked to the addresses above, if I click on them I get this message:

The link you are trying to reach is no longer available or invalid.

The type 3 is great but is not 100% compatible with games that came with type 1 or 1.5. For example, Afterburner Climax on the Lindbergh WILL NOT work with type 3 but works fine with type 1, 1.5, and 2. There may be others.
Interesting...

JVS Compatibility isn't really all that straight forward. Some games are looking for a specific I/O board and will refuse to work unless it sees it (I'd suspect this is the case with Afterburner), other games have "Requirements" that the I/O board must meet in terms of number of players, number of buttons or number of outputs, etc. And some games have requirements that don't match the game.

For instance Initial D wont work with a Type 2 JVS I/O because it requires (I think) 2-players a 12 buttons despite the fact that it only needs 1 player and 4 buttons.

Other games like Outtrigger should theoretically work with a Type 2 alone because it has all the necessary inputs including trackball encoders, but it's not compatible because Outtrigger only looks for the trackball encoders on node 2. So even though it has trackball inputs you need to include a second I/O board with trackball inputs to use those.

Virtual On uses a lamp on the start button, and wont work with an I/O board unless it provides and output for it making it incompatible with the Capcom I/O and incompatible with the Sega JVS to JAMMA I/O unless the jumper is set correctly.

Some games don't even care. there are a number of games that will boot and run through attract mode with no I/O hooked up at all, not that you can play them but they'll boot without error all the same.

The pictures show as their filenames linked to the addresses above, if I click on them I get this message:

The link you are trying to reach is no longer available or invalid.
are they working now?

Afterburner boots and plays with a type 3 but you can't control the plane.

Sega JVS to JAMMA I/O Rev B:
dsc_0760xwu2k.jpg
Compatibility wise it's no different than the Rev A, just a newer revision.
I have this board. I would like to use it with my Supergun when the TTX2 is outside my cab.
At the moment it does not seem to function; though the TTX2 boots up without any errors (i.e. does not say it is missing any I/O), none of the controls seem to react.

Supergun JAMMA => 939-13683-92 rev B => JVS => TTX2
I tried the combination (Supergun + TTX2) with my Capcom I/O and that works fine.

I assumed it would draw it from the JAMMA edge. Does this board require any additional power?

I assumed it would draw it from the JAMMA edge.
it should power up that way. you can provide power either through the JAMMA edge or through CN6

on my test bench I power mine though the JAMMA edge.

do you hear the relay click on? that's a good indication that it's getting power.

you may want to try the jumper in position "A", as that will set the expansion header into input mode, which will give it a similar configuration to the capcom IO

I tried with both jumpers. No luck. I cleaned the JAMMA edge also.

I don't hear a relay click; I think it is over stemmed by the power supply, which also clicks when it turns on.
I can do a measurement if it draws power. What would be the best place to measure it?

@twistedsymphony I found this interesting...

Click here

Under CN6:

Note7:The SEGA I/O board JVS to JAMMA (838-13683-91 Rev.A) can be configured as BILLBOARD INPUT or Control SW6~8 OUTPUT.

Note8:With SEGA I/O board JVS to JAMMA (838-13683-93 Rev.B),MCU redefined the Control SW4~7 OUTPUT.

Differences between Rev A & B

@twistedsymphony I found this interesting...

Click here

Under CN6:

Note7:The SEGA I/O board JVS to JAMMA (838-13683-91 Rev.A) can be configured as BILLBOARD INPUT or Control SW6~8 OUTPUT.

Note8:With SEGA I/O board JVS to JAMMA (838-13683-93 Rev.B),MCU redefined the Control SW4~7 OUTPUT.

Differences between Rev A & B
That is interesting.

Has anyone successfully used a Sega JVS to JAMMA I/O Rev A/B in a Blast City with buttons 4-6 working?

If so please help!

Has anyone successfully used a Sega JVS to JAMMA I/O Rev A/B in a Blast City and gotten buttons 4-6 working?
If the link to the notes you posted on Arcade Otaku is to be believed then:

for Rev A
buttons 4 and 5 come from the JAMMA edge, make sure the jumper is set to position "A" and get button 6 from the expansion connector

for Rev B
make sure the jumper is set to position "A" and get buttons 4, 5 and 6 from the expansion connector

the expansion connector pins should be routed to CN8 on the Blast IO: https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?t=18778#p240530

Last edited:
Back