What's new

cwx2

Student
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm cwx2, and I'd like to give a little intro.

I am a Californian/Hoosier hybrid. I grew up outside of Indianapolis, and moved to Berkeley/Oakland CA in 2011, for school. Now I am in a web development bootcamp, pursuing a carrier in that.

I am 25 next month, born in '92. I for the most part missed out on the arcade experience. I had a brother that was 5 years older than me that had atari, and NES before I was around. My first games at age 2 my brother shoved a snes controller in my hand. We had super mario world, super gouls and ghosts, contra III later we had mega man x, and donkey kong country. My dad and bro played doom on a LAN. I was what I'd call a medium core gamer through out adolescence. Got a console most years for xmas. My first and favorite arcade-like experiences were Marvel vs. Capcom 2 on dreamcast, we got so into it we vested in green goblin arcade sticks. My friend also had a mrs. pacman cocktail cab and that inspired me to train on one of those plug and play mrs. packman's. So thats my one really classic arcade game.

By college I was starting to dislike less and less of the newer games and Started searching back for more experiences like I had on SNES.

Now, I have a pretty comprehensive collection with RGB cables, everdrives for: SNES, NES, PCengine, and Genesis(+Mastersystem & 32X).

The things I missed out on the first time around was stuff like: sega cd, saturn, and pc engine. I have since explored their libraries pretty well. I've recently gotten a taste of neo world and I know there is a beautiful horizon ahead.

In early 2013 I was seriously re-introduced to fighting games, my brother gave me an old XBOX 360 + 2 fight sticks and all these games loaded on it: (SFIV arcade edition, SF II hyper-fighting, SF II hd remix, SF III 3rd strike, MvC2, MvC origins, Skull girls, and versions of dark stalkers and guilty gear that are escaping me).

I am down the videophile rabbit hole. Now, I have a framemeister, 2 PVMs (14' in Indiana, and 19' out here with me in Oakland).

Couple years back, I met a good friend who showed me his arcade cab collection and once something like that is seen it cannot be unseen. I knew I wanted to be a part of it.

These days I've been playing Breath of the Wild and Smash for WiiU.

Most of my projects have been sidelined due to my moving and the demands of this web development bootcamp.

My current projects and TO DO list includes:
  • RGB mods for my NES and PCengine duo-r
  • N64 portable
  • Mods for my saturn and dreamcast that provide (all in 1 game solutions)
  • NEOGEO - I have a mvs 1 slot and the parts to consolize it. I don't have any games but, intend to save up for a flashcart.
  • NAOMI - I have the motherboard, capcom I/o, and mvc2 cart. I need to build a supergun and, maybe netboot.
  • maybe these 2 projects can be combined with this 19" PVM to make a little DIY fightcade, but the high Hz for mvc2 wont be utilized.
I'll also show my dream/wish list:
  • Sega Blast City - when I have a place and space for it one day that would be my dream (that tri-sync, ya know)
  • A consolized CPS2
  • Sony BVM 20f1u (I had opportunity to buy one of these for $500 a year or so go and the regret still haunts me)
  • A select few SNES games (pocky and rocky 2, demons crest, megaman x2/3/7, Dracula x, hagane, dreamland 3, rtype III, sky blazer, pilotwings)
Some of my other interests include:
  • Running, cycling, and fitness. I was a high performance track athlete for 10+ years and still push my body.
  • Music (as a creator) I play the Harp, I dabble in ukulele, theory, composition, production, keyboards, DJ, synthesizers, and hip-hop.
  • Music (as a consumer) I listen to a wide range of genres including but not limited to: electronic, video game music, hip-hop, progressive house, reggae, classical, and North Indian classical.
  • I know a thing or two about finance, business, government, politics, law, arguments, justice, logic, philosophy, chess, astrophysics/cosmology, zoology, evolutionary biology, mycology, physiology/anatomy, web design, electronic engineering, Akira Toriyama, computer science, Rubiks cubes and other algorithmic puzzles, table tennis, NBA (pacers and warriors), skateboarding, camping/outdoors, wood working/wood carving, game of thrones, and coffee.

-Best
-cwx2

Last edited:
I think I still have an extra NES PPU if you screw up the NES mod.
PVM L5 series can do high Hz... but yeah it's pricey.
Build a supergun... or just buy a HAS from RGB like everyone else here.

Anyway, welcome to the best forum around!

Welcome! 15years ago, I was 25 and I remember that time, I felt like I was On top of the world and I had all the answers. Between that time and now, it is like if at 25y I started playing NES Dragon Warriors 1 and was getting my ass handed to me as soon as I walked out of the castle and into the grass field and at some point in the game (25y -40) I found a metal bubble slime and by some random chance I was able to kill it and gain a decent amount of EXP. The amount of EXP/knowlege that I gained from 25y to now, it is really amazing..

Enjoy being 25y and take life one day at a time.. I know that you have heard this one but you might not understand what that means for a while.

It's always refreshing to see someone introducing himself with a little more detail than a simple "Hello" :)

You have cumulated an extensive experience already, and that's impressive considering that you could perfectly be my son LOL

Welcome!

Welcome!

And yeah I fixed that for ya ;)
NEOGEO - I have a mvs 1 slot and the parts to consolize it. I don't have any games but, intend to save up for a Darksoft MVS Multi.
Derick,

That is initially what brings me to these forms, I was recommended darksoft's multi. And I know there are not a lot of us out there, and I want to engage more with others who like this stuff like I do.

Thank you for the other warm regards.

Last edited:
@ekorz

I am still getting oriented in the arcade world. The HAS looks right up my ally, based on what I have and where I want to get to. Would this be a working HAS set up?

{[MVS] + [CPS2] + [NAOMI -+-> capcom i/o]}

-----> (via jamma + kick harness where applicable) --->

[HAS]

----->(RGB + sync) ----->

[Framemeister/PVM]

The main 3 main question or parts of this set up that remain cloudy to me are:

1) How would I power the HAS and does that power the arcade boards too, or do I need a separate psu's for each arcade PCB in addition to the HAS power?

2) I have custom modded xbox 360 sticks and undamned usb to neogeo decoder, would this be a bad controller option?

3) what are the sync parameters I need to keep eyes on?

thanks in advance.
cwx2

Last edited:
Yeah you've got it

1) I use this Happ PSU and I'm sure some others do as well. The HAS comes with some cables that connect to it. You'll need a 3 prong power cable like this or just find one that you have and chop off the end. That gets AC to the PSU.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/111914266505

The HAS then sends voltage through the JAMMA edge to whichever board is plugged in. even Naomi can be powered like this when the IO board is plugged into the HAS, you'll just have a cable from that IO to the Naomi. Only exception is if you plan to NetBoot -- you should buy a Sun PSU or an ATX PSU to separately power the Naomi.

2) undamned USBs work great with my ps360+ controllers. Latest beta firmware can run the brooks. Haven't tried it with Cthulhu but I'm sure that's fine too.

3) sync depends a lot on that last link -- your monitor. If it's a PVM then you're set for 15khz stuff. If you have a pvm L5 then you can also run high res 31k. Pretty much everything works, and the HAS has some sync options built in just in case you need tweaking. HAS does 8pin mini dinn out, so I go from that to SCART and from there to BNC.

If you have an LCD a lot of folks run the HAS into a scaler like the framemeister or OSSC. Some odd sync boards (e.g. MK, Raiden) require something else in the chain to stabilize the refresh rate like a DVDO. There are a couple threads on this forum about that.

E.g. OSSC and Arcade Systems Compatibility

Last edited:
Back