What's new

sammargh

Professional
Reaction score
So I got my X2 and IO from Japan today which is exciting! Still have to wire up the io in a project box but wanted to share some pics of this beautiful box. While the listing was higher than average for a X2 (20k JPY) the pictures showed an almost pristine chassis which for most arcade boards is rare.
l8ta1uwl.jpg

I opened it up and sure enough, this is a mint, unused X2 8o notice the complete lack of dust anywhere including the heatsinks
bL3WH0Cl.jpg

vsOTZrYl.jpg

I've swapped out the 512MB ram for 4GB and it still boots up fine, being a 205A and not documented I confirmed that KOF13 Climax works so this model isn't like 207A with compatibility issues.

Onto my question though - since it was cheap I purchased a Core 2 Duo E6700 which according to http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/Q965_Express.html should be supported. I figure having double the cache and higher FSB should make it faster than the 3.4GHz P4 that is in there stock. Is there any real reason to upgrade the CPU or should I leave it as-is?

Also how do I remove the cover on the DIP switches without destroying it so I can set 720P mode?

Thanks for finally confirming if it was only model 207A or all models prior to 208A that where incompatible with KOF13. I'd been wondering that for awhile now.

As far as upgrading the CPU, not really. Personally I like to keep things as close to stock as possible. The RAM is a must especially if you plan to run the Nesica games since they all expect 1GB.

You can use a small flathead screwdriver to pry off the black plastic cover that is covering the dips. Its pretty hard plastic and shouldnt break or anything in case you wanted to put it back on. But its not needed.

Thanks for finally confirming if it was only model 207A or all models prior to 208A that where incompatible with KOF13. I'd been wondering that for awhile now.

As far as upgrading the CPU, not really. Personally I like to keep things as close to stock as possible. The RAM is a must especially if you plan to run the Nesica games since they all expect 1GB.

You can use a small flathead screwdriver to pry off the black plastic cover that is covering the dips. Its pretty hard plastic and shouldnt break or anything in case you wanted to put it back on. But its not needed.
Thanks, 720p looks great now!

What's the compatibility problem with 13 on 207A? Just a white screen? I tried non-climax and that's all it boots to so it may in fact have the same issue as 207A.

No idea, I suspect its a BIOS issue and can easily be remedied. But I need someone to come forward with one first.

I also suspect it may only affect legit drives. As the launcher does some checks against the hardware.

More than likely its a none problem now that a multi game exist.

Congrats on your new purchase! Are you gonna buy the metal plate cover for the open space where the game is suppose to go? I went back and forth with the idea and finally sprung to buy one. $80 after Canadian conversion and shipping from Japan. Had to do it...

Congrats on your new purchase! Are you gonna buy the metal plate cover for the open space where the game is suppose to go? I went back and forth with the idea and finally sprung to buy one. $80 after Canadian conversion and shipping from Japan. Had to do it...
Yeah, I bought a copy of KOF MIA and just put the multi boot drive inside of it. Original HD & key are in storage. Funny enough that was cheaper than buying just a cover!

Welcome to the ever growing family.

KOF MIA is one of the cheaper games on the TTX2 but its also one of my favorites. Big fan of tekken so yea.

as for your CPU question upgrading the CPU has very little benefit for the normal users. even going a high clock dual core doesnt make the games in mame that dont work on the single core playable. yes they are better but still with massive slow downs or still not at full speed. this is with reference to the cave games and tekken 3.
yes I'm running a quad core but i also run dev tools in the back ground and what not so yea not a normal user.

Yeah, I bought a copy of KOF MIA and just put the multi boot drive inside of it. Original HD & key are in storage. Funny enough that was cheaper than buying just a cover!
HAHA! You're right!! FUUUUUUCK! I should have just bought the dame game..lol, oh well

can somebody pm me about Nesica? thanks a lot!

One more question - so I had setup the multi game drive and went through every game and set free boot/english where available. I hadn't plugged the machine in for a few days and now all those settings are gone. Is there some sort of battery on the motherboard that stores those settings that needs charged?

One more question - so I had setup the multi game drive and went through every game and set free boot/english where available. I hadn't plugged the machine in for a few days and now all those settings are gone. Is there some sort of battery on the motherboard that stores those settings that needs charged?
All the settings for each game are stored on the "D:" drive of the multi in a folder respective of each game. Did you happen to delete these folders?

All the settings for each game are stored on the "D:" drive of the multi in a folder respective of each game. Did you happen to delete these folders?
Ah-ha! I had received a SSD and only copied the game partition to the new one which must've nuked them all.

Is there a way I can boot from USB/CD to run memtest? I've been getting a BSOD with 7E as the stop code so I'd like to run memtest to see if the memory I upgraded with is causing faults on the system.

Edit: figured out I can boot from a CD and detach the pin header from the motherboard to JVS that handles power so the watchdog doesn't reboot the system.

Last edited:
Is there a way I can boot from USB/CD to run memtest? I've been getting a BSOD with 7E as the stop code so I'd like to run memtest to see if the memory I upgraded with is causing faults on the system.
Honestly I've never tried to boot from CD. Maybe if the CDROM is the only thing connected to the X2

I remember someone more knowledgeable saying that the Type Xs can't boot from USB devices. You'll need to go old school and find a SATA DVD/CD drive

I remember someone more knowledgeable saying that the Type Xs can't boot from USB devices. You'll need to go old school and find a SATA DVD/CD drive
It appears that it can boot from USB floppies as that's how the dongles work but yeah, I just used a SATA dvd drive in place of the hard drive and unplugged the front panel header after it powered on from the motherboard so the IO wouldn't reboot the system due to timeout. Memory tested fine so going to have to dig deeper.

It appears that it can boot from USB floppies as that's how the dongles work but yeah, I just used a SATA dvd drive in place of the hard drive and unplugged the front panel header after it powered on from the motherboard so the IO wouldn't reboot the system due to timeout. Memory tested fine so going to have to dig deeper.
Try a new video card, its the most common point of failure on the X2's. Its also cheap, just pick up a nice used Nvidia 7900GS from ebay. You shouldnt need to flash it to use it with my multi.

Try a new video card, its the most common point of failure on the X2's. Its also cheap, just pick up a nice used Nvidia 7900GS from ebay. You shouldnt need to flash it to use it with my multi.
so you're saying I can drop-in a standard 7900GS without flashing it to the Elsa 979 with the multi?
I wasn't aware of that!

Can I also drop-in a 7900GT or 7950GT? Or would those needed to be flashed to the 979?

Just discovered the existence of the 7950GX2... or two 7950s sandwiched together.
I wonder how that would be handled by a TTX2?
(Probably not...)

Back