What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be really surprised if someone can pull off a perfect Sega CD or PCECD EMU.
Well in both cases you would be required to own the actual unit, so no FPGA wouldn't be necessary...
The PCECD device would plug into the IFU-30 "briefcase" where the disc drive normally gos (utilizing all the original hardware only faking the data returned from the drive).
pc-engine-hucard-and-cd-rom-briefcase-interface-unit-loose.jpg

In the Sega CD's case, the laser sub board which connects to the mainboard via ribbon cable (pretty much just like the design of the Rhea now) would be replaced.
XN6ei.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be really surprised if someone can pull off a perfect Sega CD or PCECD EMU.
In the Sega CD's case, the laser sub board which connects to the mainboard via ribbon cable (pretty much just like the design of the Rhea now) would be replaced.
XN6ei.jpg
That's only true for one version of the SEGA-CD2 board. That one in the picture uses a JVC drive with OPTIMA6S optical pickup (same optics as the Saturn).

Unfortunately:
4315596065_acc5c0e3b0_o.jpg

There's the FUNAI SEGA-CD/MEGA-CD design. Funai is a japanese manufacturer of electronics which assembles projects for other companies (like that Foxconn in China which builds stuff for Sony and Nintendo).

That's only true for one version of the SEGA-CD2 board. That one in the picture uses a JVC drive with OPTIMA6S optical pickup (same optics as the Saturn).
Yes that's correct... That's why this is the version of the Sega CD (2) that I own! It was/is the rumored target (the other revisions model 1/CDX/Funai isn't).

Behold both my glorious IFU-30 briefcase and my JVC drive Sega CD, I did it all for the ODEs man
BtsTyXn.jpg

In fact this is how I replaced the (failing) original laser so easily, ordered a Optima-6S (Saturn laser) from eBay.

This blurry shot was taken on my old Blast City in 2014 at the time I did the replacement/swap
HyieOcB.jpg

Fine tuning all (5) pots by hand took a very long (I think about 3~4 hours) time, I guess pros use a scope or something (America F-YEAH)?
I used a perma pen to mark the pot, and three different burned discs (a REDBOOK audio CD, Sonic CD, Silpheed) then listened to how the drive sounded as I adjusted each one (also watched to see if any display/boot).

It boots CDR everytime without fail now (but I still want to replace it with a ODE) it actually can be somewhat picky with original media (likely because I used CDR media to adjust/set it). :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
With a scope and the correct test disc (YEDS-18) you can align a CD player in like 10 minutes.

Copying the test disc with a CD writer is moot point, because the disc has intentional (made by a machine at designed spots) scratches in it to test the drive for tracking and focus errors.

After earning enough money from his paper route, my older brother bought an NES for me. I'll admit, I was quite the shit talking Nintendo kid. Back then, beefing over video game platforms sometimes meant a fist fight. Though secretly, I was jealous of those Sega fuckers because I loved me some Space Harrier. If my family wasn't so poor, I would have definitely campaigned for a Sega Master System. I'll admit that too. But we could barely afford the one. During the next console generation, I was old enough to have a job and had some cash to feed my entertainment needs. I went behind enemy lines and bought a Genesis while waiting for the SNES, satiating my Space Harrier needs. Being a Nintendo fan, shameful sparks of Sega love began then too. As bits doubled from 16 to 32 and 64, I caved in and picked up Sony's upstart console entry to hold me over till the N64 was released. Grabbed a Saturn from a buddy around that time when he was dumping it for cheap. In my late teens, I remember reading about a new digital media format that was coming out just over the horizon. Players for that format were starting at that time around $400. Way out of my price range at that point in life. I wanted one of those players really bad because anime producers heavily adopted that format. I remember walking into Tower Records, drooling at the titles I was not able to watch in digital glory. When I heard the PS2 was going to have DVD playing capabilities, I damn near did cartwheels. I had eyes only for the PS2 knowing I was going to kill two birds with one console. I bought a Dreamcast on 9/9/99 anyway. Picked up the OG Xbox and Gamecube a year after the PS2. After that, I was at a point in life where I earned enough money that my entertainment needs were a small part of my budget (or smaller, rather). Also, it became easier without Sega in the mix, and yet I am still pained that they are gone. For like 13 years, I haven't given a second thought about buying an Xbox just to play Halo, or a Playstation just to play MGS. No big deal really at this point in life. Even when I see mom's grandkids play video games with their friends that have other consoles, like there is none of that vitriol that I grew up with. They are just happy for being able to play SFV after lots of GoW or Halo. Not even the Nvidia or AMD guys bicker in the PC world. Those guys hop fences like every 10 months. The arcade hobby is the only video game arena where there is still territorial pissings over platform. It's not just the Neo Geo guys either. For US arcade snobs, be honest, you guys are old. Save the grumpiness for the next decade and the ones after that where there will place set aside just for that. It will be that empty stool at the end of the table in that lonely bar where they know your name, but really don't know you or care to.

Anyone that has the NeoSD, whether because they gave in from waiting for Darksoft's or are fine with what it offers, enjoy it. And if you're still waiting for Darksoft's Multi, realize that you aren't descended from weak people. Afterall, you have grit if you're still playing video games when all around you have taken up golf.

EDIT: Hey @Shin OmegaZOR Prime, none of this is directed at your question. Darksoft will answer that, I am sure. Just responding here to that FB thread.
I can relate, no shame in buying a console just for a couple games. I mean it’s YOUR money so screw what anyone else says.

I bought a PS4 just for Metal Gear Solid 5 and Final Fantasy 15. Put over 200 hours on each so definitely got my money’s worth. Neither game was exactly as promised; however, in my eyes the gameplay on both was super solid. I played a handful of other titles on the system: Tomb Raider, Wolfenstein, Attack on Titan, and The Last of Us; however, for the most part I bought the system for just MGS5 and FF15 and have no regrets. I still use it as a solid Blu Ray player. It will probably be the last new console I ever buy though because I’m uninterested in a majority of current gen games (most American games keep recycling tired concepts and most newer Japanese games are a little too weaboo-ish for my taste).

If hell froze over and Sega got back into the business AND revived a slew of forgotten IPs I may change my mind, but for now the PS4 will be my last console and I’ll stick to mostly games from 1985 through 2000. Not only because of the nostalgia factor (I’m 30 so I grew up during the 90s), but also because retro games is what I have time for. The only reason I had time to play the PS4 games is because I was on month long paid vacations in the Navy and was single at the time lol. Now I’m a busy college student trying to get into a good business school. 30 minutes sessions are ideal.

Last edited:
but for now the PS4 will be my last console
I was thinking of getting a PS4 Pro, but yea I'm right with you on this.

The Xbox One X didn't appeal to me at all, being that I can run basically the same games on Steam/PC what's the point?
I have a Switch and I do enjoy a few games on it very much, but mostly it goes unused in favor of the 3DS when outside the house and arcade machines when in it.

I'm almost ashamed to admit it too, but if I'm being totally honest... I've got equal hours into my SNES Mini console (bedroom TV) and it was 1/10th the price of what I spent for the Switch w/ accessories/games.

I don't know what happened, I still love to game but I don't really care for new ones very much. ?(
This generation is likely my last unless something changes in a big way.

but for now the PS4 will be my last console
I was thinking of getting a PS4 Pro, but yea I'm right with you on this.
The Xbox One X didn't appeal to me at all, being that I can run basically the same games on Steam/PC what's the point?
I have a Switch and I do enjoy a few games on it very much, but mostly it goes unused in favor of the 3DS when outside the house and arcade machines when in it.

I'm almost ashamed to admit it too, but if I'm being totally honest... I've got equal hours into my SNES Mini console (bedroom TV) and it was 1/10th the price of what I spent for the Switch w/ accessories/games.

I don't know what happened, I still love to game but I don't really care for new ones very much. ?(
This generation is likely my last unless something changes in a big way.
The main draw of the Xbox One X for me is the 4K UHD BluRay capability and the pretty design. That said, it's not worth the $500 price tag for that one feature.

It's too bad the PC requirements are artificially strict for their playback.

I think newer games ridiculous intros, learning curve, and cheap deaths is what does it for me. Cheap deaths are excused by checkpoints often letting you restart 30 seconds from where you last were which is dumb. I also don’t like the health recharging under cover system; just a cheap way to make up for bullets hitting you at random. I understand that there’s not really a good way around this unless all enemy fire is brightly colored and slow moving; however, growing up with games where it was usually your own fault for dying with a clean explanation as to why makes playing newer games a bit frustrating.

Also, when nobody hops online anymore on newer games it makes it almost worthless. Case in point: I had a blast playing Attack on Titan online this time last year. Felt like Spider-Man on steroids, and playing with a team is so much fun. Hopped on it the other day, and literally could not find a room. Made my own, waiting for 15 minutes, NOBODY! Or another point: Metal Gear Solid 5. Without utilizing online features building your base would take five times as long, so what happens when the servers shut down? I really don’t like how even single player games are so reliant on online capability. I miss the days of releasing a game when it was fully finished with nothing else to buy after leaving the store.

Last edited:
Remember guys that you have one week to make your order or the turn will go to the next person on the thread.

Very nice timing with the release, ready for Cyber Monday :)

First batch of 100 units. When you buy yours, please give your username and date when you posted your interest in the forum in order to have prioirity as per shown interest.
How many units will be produced in the initial run? Some folks didn't sign-up for the interest list.

EDIT: Rather, will there be more than units produced for those that did not sign up for the initial 100 units? I am not asking for myself (as I made the 1st page of the interest list). I am posting on other forums for those that haven't created an account here yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back