What's new
I've been looking for a populated mahjong panel for my E29 for a while now.
That must be a really tough search :/.

I've been meaning to learn for a bit now. Hoping this'll be a push in the right direction. Really cool about there being a club giving lessons!

For everyone's records, Yaton does not actually have Aero City anything. They misunderstood and only have Astro parts.

Last edited:
And another MJ panel - be handy for spare buttons/switches....

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n229414293

And an NOS Astro one if anyone is interested....

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n181956819

If you still have the metal tangs for the locks I have a set of 5380 locks & keys.
I have the tangs and 5380 locks all the way around at this point. Just no key. Both previous cab owners lost them.

I'll probably throw a bid on that panel too for exactly why you said :).

1200 bucks, 254 keys. That's a good per key price at least? Sell them ten bucks a piece and make a bundle!

Who knows 253 other Aero owners in need of keys? :D

Guess I lost both mahjong panels. I was under the impression I'd be home a few hours earlier to check on them, got stuck in traffic, and there we are.

At least those come up often!

More scraping. Was hoping to paint it this weekend, but it'll likely be next. Spent too many days out of town this week.

All the black and silver are gone! But the old white is not. Bare metal in some places, not in others. Part of me is debating just sanding the old paint and the metal somewhat flat to one another, and just painting over that. The other part of me demands it be all bare metal before painting. I'm not sure which side to listen to at the moment, haha.

If you want to do bare metal, get the sucker sandblasted. Don't torture yourself. If it were me, I'd get it professionally powder coated if I went that far.

If you want to do bare metal, get the sucker sandblasted. Don't torture yourself. If it were me, I'd get it professionally powder coated if I went that far.
I've sandblasted before, but I don't live in a place where I can do it at this point unfortunately. Plus, as we established earlier Aero's aren't worth much to begin with and I'm not absolutely in love with it or anything.

Also $8 for epoxy vs $xxx for powder coating. Plus, appliance epoxy is really really slick stuff and leaves a nice finish with almost no effort. On the other other hand, I could get the front of my Cute powder coated at the same time. Decisions decisions.

I love powdercoating. in the wood cab restores I've done I get all the metal parts blasted and powder coated in black (coin doors, hinges, glass brackets, etc.)

you definitely want to get a bunch done at once to save on costs.

best bare metal
I disagree. I used to sand down to bare metal, but it's just unnecessary work. Unless you're getting it powdercoated, just sand it down to give it a good key.

I disagree. I used to sand down to bare metal, but it's just unnecessary work. Unless you're getting it powdercoated, just sand it down to give it a good key.
the factory paint is pretty thick, so if it's chipped you'll end up with an uneven surface unless you strip down the whole thing.

the factory paint is pretty thick, so if it's chipped you'll end up with an uneven surface unless you strip down the whole thing.
Citristrip does a good job of taking off the factory finish layer at least. So-so job on the paint underneath, it can be chipped off, but it takes a bit of time with a metal scraper. Additional Citristrip weakens it a bit, but that's about it.

It did AMAZING things on the two home-done paintjobs though! The black layer just bubbled up and peeled off all on its own. The silver layer turned into a paste and I just wiped it off with paper towels.

Thanks to @loegan43 I now have original marquee and control panel. Going to order some white buttons and white Seimitsu balltops.

Everything's coming up Milhouse!

The stripping continues. It's not bad if you put on some background noise and just work at it mindlessly.

Side thought: I regret not naming the thread Aero Pity restore.

Going to order some white buttons and white Seimitsu balltops.
I highly recommend getting Seimitsu Buttons over Sanwa for this cab... the Seimitsu have really squared off edges where the Sanwa are more rounded. it suits these older boxy cabs really well.

I agonized over button color and brand for ages on the E29 before settling on all white with Seimitsu buttons and I've been super happy with that decision since.

EDIT:
I've snapped a photo so you can see what I'm talking about. it's particularly apparent on the 24mm start buttons:

22069530_350235182067683_11776186145308672_n.jpg

Last edited:
I have just received two replicas of original AC panels (1P and 2P) - made by the local tinplate factory.

Not perfect but enough for my needs.
If only I could apply graphics on them...vinyl sticker doesnt work.
In the original panel graphics are printed on an additional aluminum plate (covered with laminate).

TS, I see what you're saying and agree with you 100%, they look sharp.

Those look pretty nice! You could always find a company that has a printer that will print directly onto the metal. Jasen's Customs did that with their CP's and they're really very nice.

I have a foolish question though. Why four start buttons on Aeros? 1P and 2P start buttons on the panel surround AND panel.

Or are there two types of surrounds, one with start buttons and one without, and then the same with panels?

he repros from Taiwan are the best, they blow everything else away in terms of quality and bling
did he make those lock cams too? is he on the forum? I wonder if he could repo some of the parts I need for the E29

Last edited:
Back