What's new
I dunno, to me it just seems like too much elbow grease and new parts needed to want to pay more than $100. I mean can't you get a decent looking one of these for less than 500?
Last couple I've seen in passable condition were 500 and 650. LOTS of them for 2-400 in various states of disrepair, from rusted out to monitor missing, or just all-around worn. This guy's just got a bit of bad paint and needs a control panel, that's not too bad.

It's missing one incredibly common part, and a key.

But who wants a decent looking cab anyway? We're gunning for mint.

To strip and re-paint I'm in $26 so far including 6 12x9 tarps to make sure I don't paint the driveway.

Not sure what graphics will cost.

If I bought a new cab I'd be putting brand new sticks and buttons in it regardless, so that's not money lost.

Finding a key without breaking the bank is proving difficult, but I'm sure I'll come across one.

It isn't really an expensive restore. I'm pretty sure I'll be under the $500 mark when I'm done, *and* have a brand-new looking Aero City.

I really do like Aero city's. They're almost 30 years old and seem timeless. Nice and heavy metal...they don't make em like that anymore :)

You gonna use a 2player panel? I feel the Aero cities panels are way too small to have 2 player set up.

Look forward to your progress

I really do like Aero city's. They're almost 30 years old and seem timeless. Nice and heavy metal...they don't make em like that anymore :)

You gonna use a 2player panel? I feel the Aero cities panels are way too small to have 2 player set up.

Look forward to your progress
There don't seem to be many single player panel options. I've only seen the Street Fighter panel for 1-player joystick controls, and I'm *really* keen on keeping to the white/blue theme so it may have to be 2 player.

I don't like the look at all, but somehow it's got a bit of charm. I like this for the same reason I've always loved the MVS-U4 cabs, just solid metal little cabinets. But those are way nicer to look at, haha.

Picked up most of another Aero today. Everything but the body itself.

Second wiring harness, power supply, plastic monitor bezel, glass, chassis and tube, uhhh whichever Sega board Aero's were wired for to JAMMA adapter, coin mech, upper control box half, control panel surround, a HAPP controls drilled CP, an entire second "top" piece, 1 spare speaker, and probably other things I don't realize I have yet. Pretty much if it wasn't the cab itself or the part that lifts up, I got it.

Once I'm done my restore, I'll sell forward what remains and hopefully be able to finish off some other folks' cabs too.

I also managed to line up a proper CP, the marquee holder, and *possibly* a key!

Naomi pickup guy was off his rocker, so I didn't end up with those, just the regularly scheduled Aero Parts.

Big props to HyperBolt over on AO for today's haul (especially for the price).

I pay close attention to this topic because recently I bought myself used AC to restore :)
I know that the disign of this cab is rather "rough", but in this part of Europe where I live it is difficult to get another candy cab.
Despite the initial doubts about "AC cab appearance" I really do like it! (imo - looks best with a vertically aligned monitor).
About restoration - mine was bought complete and working - the body was for painting, and the control panel for replacement.
Painting, for this (heavy metal) was a "pice of cake" for a car painter, printing stickers with sidearts was just as easy.
A serious problem is the control panel - damaged surface (with "white/blue") art. Reconstruction of this was impossible (I made many unsuccessful attempts with various types of stickers (vinyl too) - the effect was always unsatisfactory) - finnaly - I bought a whole new original 2P CP.
I also made the decision that I will not reproduce graphics of panel overlay (surround) - just simply will paint it in white (without art).
I am currently looking for 1P CP, original header (repros are here https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=28910) and original screws.
You wrote "ordered a cap kit, took out the caps that the kit replace" - I'm wondering about replacing condensers in the monitor - what are "the dead capacitors"symptoms?

I pay close attention to this topic because recently I bought myself used AC to restore :)
I know that the disign of this cab is rather "rough", but in this part of Europe where I live it is difficult to get another candy cab.
Despite the initial doubts about "AC cab appearance" I really do like it! (imo - looks best with a vertically aligned monitor).
About restoration - mine was bought complete and working - the body was for painting, and the control panel for replacement.
Painting, for this (heavy metal) was a "pice of cake" for a car painter, printing stickers with sidearts was just as easy.
A serious problem is the control panel - damaged surface (with "white/blue") art. Reconstruction of this was impossible (I made many unsuccessful attempts with various types of stickers (vinyl too) - the effect was always unsatisfactory) - finnaly - I bought a whole new original 2P CP.
I also made the decision that I will not reproduce graphics of panel overlay (surround) - just simply will paint it in white (without art).
I am currently looking for 1P CP, original header (repros are here https://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=28910) and original screws.
You wrote "ordered a cap kit, took out the caps that the kit replace" - I'm wondering about replacing condensers in the monitor - what are "the dead capacitors"symptoms?
It definitely looks better with the monitor in vertical position than horizontal.

I've never seen a 1P CP, couldn't even find one searching around for pictures on-line. Well, not the blue one anyhow, I have seen the Street Fighter one in 1P layout.

As for the monitor, bad geometry/warped corners and edges is usually your first symptom. If things get really bad it can simply not display a picture, I've purchased a few cabs with "dead monitors" that had neck glow, recapped the chassis and they worked wonderfully. It's an easy job though, and costs less than $20!

There's this 1P CP:

riverservice_1l7b.JPG

There's this 1P CP:
That's a Riverservice repro though, I've seen that one, and I should have been clearer in my original statement. I was wondering if there's an original Sega 1 player panel or not.

It's been bothering me for a bit now that there's a 1 and 2 player start button on their player panel.

It's been bothering me for a bit now that there's a 1 and 2 player start button on their player panel.
A lot of older games, like say Donkey Kong and Pac Man, are like that; where Players 1 and 2 take turns. so you have a "1 player" panel but 2 start buttons.

A lot of older games, like say Donkey Kong and Pac Man, are like that; where Players 1 and 2 take turns. so you have a "1 player" panel but 2 start buttons.
You can make it make sense, but you can't make me like it!

I don't like the look at all, but somehow it's got a bit of charm. I like this for the same reason I've always loved the MVS-U4 cabs, just solid metal little cabinets. But those are way nicer to look at, haha.
I dig the Aeros. They have a "tech-noir" style and remind me of early anime like Bubblegum Crisis, Akira and movies like Bladerunner, Terminator etc.

Well, got 1 of 2 monitors up and running. The new one was recapped 2 years ago when it went into storage, but needed a pot replaced, now it's good as new minus some incredibly incredibly light burn-in you have to hunt for when it's turned off.

The one is completely recapped, and I replaced everything in the vertical deflection circuit but noticed that the transistor at Q533 is MIA. Anyway, ordered two and now we wait again. Never did find C410 from my cap kit, think it's on *some* MS8-26 chassis but not others.

Well, it seems the missing component isn't missing, but actually supposed to be empty.

But we have this:

Which isn't good..

EDIT: Okay, I'd missed the connector from the neckboard to the tube. Put that back in, image is great. Time to put this guy to the side till I paint the cab this weekend :).

Last edited:
I've been looking for a populated mahjong panel for my E29 for a while now.

when I went to PAX East there was some Mahjong club setup giving free lessons, I didn't have time to stop by but it got me thinking that I should learn. there are so many damn Mahjong arcade games and they're dirt cheap, I'm sure there are some good ones if you know how to play.

Back