What's new

meyerli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all

After reading some threads here it seems there is much knowledge available on this forum :)
I'm currently just thinking out loud but would like to try creating a live camera monitor for my Daytona USA 2 Twin using some emulation.

That's what the live monitor looks like (not my video, found it on Youtube):

As it's a Sega Model 3 board I would like to use the Supermodel3 emulator:
http://www.supermodel3.com (hope they release 0.3a soon)

A challenge would be the network connection as they are using fibre optic cables. The filter board also has the pins available (CN10) for a connection using a cable with 6 pins. Will need to try if system link using them works.
sega_model3_pcb_arcde_filter_board_pinout.gif

As far as I understood this is an RS-422 (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-422) connection so I hope to be able to connect an emulator.

At the moment it's all based on ideas and dreams and I'm not a technical pro. As an IT guy I will mostly go for trial & error.
I'm open to any ideas or road blocks someone sees ;)

I was a bit confused about your thread at first because the Daytona Games (or at least the first one, I'm not 100% sure on Daytona 2) support a "Live Camera" which is a CCTV setup with cameras pointed at each driver and the game can switch camera feeds to display driver's faces on an output monitor.

What you're actually talking about is the "Live Monitor" this is another Full Game PCB node on the network chain, linked up the same way as the other networked nodes except set to "Satellite" instead of master/slave/etc (this name might be different depending on the game).

If you're running SuperModel for all nodes on the network you should be able to just set the node you want to Satellite. If you're running real hardware you will need to source another Model 3 PCB with the Rom and Communication PCBs to add to the chain.

AFAIK it's not currently possible to link a real Model 3 PCB with a PC running SuperModel. I looked into this before (because VOOT supports the Live Monitor as well) and I was told that the Communication board in the Model 3 hardware isn't currently emulated so there is no way for a PC to send or receive the correct signals over a tosslink connection.

Virtua Racing was the first game to Support the Live Monitor mode The First Daytona supported it as well as other racing/driving games through the Model 2/3 era and, as I said, Virtual On. I'm sure there are others too.

Sure the CCTV is supported by the first Daytona? I know it from the Mario Kart arcades but haven't been aware of Daytona.

But you are right, I mean the live monitor. Have seen various names already for it, e.g. spectacular monitor.

As far as I know the Supermodel3 0.3a would support the comminication board but haven't tested this so far. Only did some reading.

As the Model 3 hardware is expensive I would like to emulate only the live monitor but keeping the original boards to play on the twin. Maybe it really isn't possible but hope dies last ;)

Mario Kart GP doesn't use a CCTV setup, it uses Web Cams to embed the player image into the game itself...

Here's a video of a Daytona USA with the CCTV setup:

and here's an old photo with the original CRT monitors:
bfSwldl.jpg

you can see the fake plastic "film camera" mounted to the left of the screen on every seat and then the monitors above the game monitors displaying the feed from the CCTV cameras. In this setup the cameras and the monitors that show the players faces are completely separate hardware from the game hardware (it's ACTUAL CCTV hardware). the game boards simply have an output signal wire to tell the CCTV equipment which player camera to display on the monitor.

Last edited:
If you're actually interested in trying to run Super Model as a node against some real Model 3 hardware you can see my thread here: Link a Real Model 3 PCB to SuperModel Emulator

I did poke around the MAME source and the other leads that MetalliC suggested but ultimately just ended up buying another Model 3 setup.

Thanks a lot for your help, reading the linked thread now.

Back