What's new

streetfighterken

Grand Master
Reaction score
I'm finding a ton of DDR2 667 512MB dimms on ebay, but they are all 1RX8, while the dimms I pulled from the X2 are 1RX16. Does it make a difference?

if the clock speed is the same it should work, I think the 1RX8 and 1RX16 has to do with the size of each single chip on the stick.

It's the "RANKING" ie how many chips to make up the memory (1/2 rows, single sided/double sided) - in the servers we use at work they recommend you don't mix ranking in a bank.

I've upgraded both my X2's and my X using bog standard PC memory without any issues (pity I cant say the same for my Naomi net-Dimms) by ensuring they were matched pairs.

For one X2 I had a pair of 2Gb sticks I took out of my PC when I upgraded to a pair of 8Gb ones and they work fine. the other I used the stick I took from the first X2 - worked fine too (but has less ram in than the other).

The X I had to scrounge some old ram from work as I didn't have a pair the right spec, again I swapped the original ram out for a matched pair of 1Gb sticks.

Back