What's new
"JVS Converter" wouldn't be that bad.

Capcom and Sega both call their JVS PCB to JAMMA cab boards "JAMMA Converter" so it fits in line with that.

and thinking about in the inverse as in "converting a cab to JVS" doesn't make sense because that's just a JVS I/O... not a converter

In real-life it looks like this:

2017-11-09 jammafier proto.JPG

Spent the evening assembling it, the ARM processor said hello which is always a good sign. Now on to further bring-up and porting some code over to make it useful.

Awesome. I like that kick harness port & its pinout :thumbup:

In real-life it looks like this:

2017-11-09 jammafier proto.JPG

Spent the evening assembling it, the ARM processor said hello which is always a good sign. Now on to further bring-up and porting some code over to make it useful.
I need 2 please! :thumbsup:

I need one of these :)

Can't wait for the progress on this.

Had a little fun with it this during the weekend, and got most of the basics running. I have to do a little physical redesign though, as the RCA audio connectors are a tad too close together. I knew not having a 3D model was a bad idea, and now I've learned it :)

This thing is definitely alive, some stuff so far:
  • -5V generation working fine, no issues with my Mortal Kombat boards.
  • Volt readings for display in the OLED are working well, will add some averaging of the readings so it wont jump between 12.0 and 12.1 when the fluke reads it as 12.045
  • Zero-Lag Enhanced turbo update (TM), riverservice has update speed of about 43Hz, I've cranked this one up to almost 350Hz
  • Audio attenuation working as expected
  • OLED works great and will be most useful for doing diagnostics
On my list of unfinished projects, I think this one will be done first and hope to have it out early 2018.

awesome stuff, having never used a River Service one, does the speed it runs at cause input lag?

awesome stuff, having never used a River Service one, does the speed it runs at cause input lag?
There are rumors there are different versions of the firmware for it, but yes - with 43 updates updates pr second it will be laggy. The reason I switched from the RS one to Namco was that mine had trouble registering input, so with certain button combinations I couldn't do diagonal movements which made it pretty useless. Hm, I actually just got a theory why that is and will check it later :)

The micro-SD stuff on the board is working fine, so all the core stuff on the board is verified.

Shipping is not cheap, this is what I'm looking at:

JammafierShippingTotal
14040180USD
11934153EUR
10530135GBP

Shipping is for 1KG so can probably ship more than one in same package.

I know this is probably way too late for this and maybe no-one agrees with me, but I personally hate the DE-15 connector. Making cables for it is a PITA.

Any chance of an auxiliary 5 pin connector with just RGB, sync and GND?

I know this is probably way too late for this and maybe no-one agrees with me, but I personally hate the DE-15 connector. Making cables for it is a PITA.
if the point of this is to play JAMMA games in a JVS cab then that is exactly the connector you want because that is exactly what JVS cabs should be equipped with.

What is your use-case where this isn't true?

if the point of this is to play JAMMA games in a JVS cab then that is exactly the connector you want because that is exactly what JVS cabs should be equipped with.
Post 36 is the reason. I'm not sure, but I think, for instance, the MS2931 expects a 0.7vpp video signal when connected through the DE-15 connector.

Post 36 is the reason. I'm not sure, but I think, for instance, the MS2931 expects a 0.7vpp video signal when connected through the DE-15 connector.
As stoked as I am for this entire project I kinda agree with you. Sending JAMMA video levels to a VGA D-sub seems odd to me.

On my net city I actually added a dsub connection to the jamma vid input and I have two labelled VGA cables going to the monitor. One normal one for 0.7vpp / vga and a 2nd for JAMMA video going to the correct input on the monitor.

I missed that. that could be a problem.

Most of the Tri-Sync monitors I've worked with are ok to deal with JAMMA level RGB signals, though I don't know if that's typical.

would be cool if there was a headers with video in/video out/ and power to allow the development of a plug-in sub-board to handle the video processing before it hits the VGA port, then you could just jumper the input to output for a pass-through with no processing.

I'd have to look at the input board on a 2933 to see if it processes them differently, but it does have both a dsub for vga and separate input pins for amplified video. Out of caution I always use one or the other depending on the video source level.

I really like the idea of pin headers with jumpers. Seems simple and functional IMO.

Back