What's new
Just gonna throw this out there but, why not solder jumpers? They should snuggly fit on the headers on the B board.
Because we are kind of snobbish. Lots of us started getting into the arcade hobby and have had to undo some of solder jobs from operators to make our stuff look classy. But yeah, that would work too, provided you have a soldering iron. You'll be surprised, lots of people don't. And then there are lots that are scared of picking one up too.
Yeah plus the fact that we've seen well-meaning people destroy their perfectly working pcbs with a super hot iron.

If you want to use encrypted roms you will need to update. Consider this version optional until at least after there is a full encrypted roll-up pack available. Then we will decide what to do.

Just gonna throw this out there but, why not solder jumpers? They should snuggly fit on the headers on the B board.
Because we are kind of snobbish. Lots of us started getting into the arcade hobby and have had to undo some of solder jobs from operators to make our stuff look classy. But yeah, that would work too, provided you have a soldering iron. You'll be surprised, lots of people don't. And then there are lots that are scared of picking one up too.
Yeah plus the fact that we've seen well-meaning people destroy their perfectly working pcbs with a super hot iron.
If you want to use encrypted roms you will need to update. Consider this version optional until at least after there is a full encrypted roll-up pack available. Then we will decide what to do.
I was gonna wait for that, just planning ahead. Would I have to send my multi board in or did you modify the newer boards for easy update?

Last edited:
@rtw You wanted "non-merged" where all the zipfiles are complete, right? Here's that set out of the MAME 0.191 fullset. 257 zipfiles in total, 2.7gb 7zipped.
@ekorz thank you very much, will make life a bit easier :thumbsup:

For some strange reason though I have 258 sets listed :)

edit:
set ssf2.zip seems to be missing ?

Last edited:
@rtw here's ssf2, and I'm updating the main pack & link above (will edit this post when done). Not sure why those 3 failed, but I can dig around after work (maybe someone else can figure it out though!)
Thank you for ssf2.zip, ironically ssf2.zip failed as well, I have amended the code and uploaded 0.73
which converts all ROM sets except mvscjsing.zip.

This uses SIMMs so the layout is different but it is exactly the same as: mvscj so just use that.

edit: new version uploaded

Last edited:
I went through the log file and it looks like the following games are generated incorrectly:

csclub
csclubjy
mmancp2u
mmancp2ur1
rmancp2j
ssf2xjr1r

I will fix these soon, just wanted to let you know :D

How can I know if my set can be updated via the SD or not?
When you put the flash.img file on the root of the sd card and power it up you will see the leds next to the ARM flash rapidly. When it is finished it will flash three times slowly. If you have the reset wire it should reboot afterwards.

Also the firmware file (flash.img) will be gone from the root of the SD card IF completed sucessfully.

If you have the older (non-auto updating) firmware it simply won't do anything at all (ie regular/normal function and firmware update file remaining on SD card). ;)

So what's left here...

1. Write batch script to traverse the directories and convert all the files with the exe

2. Test some

3. Zip resulting folders and send to smokemonster for distribution

??

Code is coming along nicely, this time I am doing the way I should have done it in the first place. I am using MAME :D

@MetalliC showed me the driver entry point and how to access the ROM areas after the game has been loaded, from this I built a FLASH generator.

These sets compress better because some earlier sets just padded the file with duplicates of the ROM but this time the padding is explicitly 0xff which also means it should FLASH faster.

You do not need any special sets, just the latest MAME ROM set.

The code will generate the correct hierarchy so in the end all you have to do is copy the games directory to your SD card.

cps264.exe progear
name : progear
directory: games\progear
writing file: flash.01
writing file: flash.02
writing file: flash.03
writing file: flash.04
writing file: flash.05
writing file: flash.07
writing file: flash.09
writing file: flash.11
writing file: key
writing file: game

cps264.exe ecofghtr
name : ecofghtr
directory: games\ecofghtr

Just need to do some more testing and then we are ready for release :)

Here is: cps264, as I said this is a modified MAME version and this is the binary it spits out when using a specific source:

https://mega.nz/#!hVUQCS6I!NietZg1J8xP6GJ-CG9U2B7ak1A1sU1RSByqGxQeRWHI

To use it you need MAME installed on a 64 Bit Win machine.
Drop it in the same directory as your MAME binary and do this:

\mame>cps264.exe progearj
name : progearj
directory: games\progearj
writing file: flash.04

Copy the games directory to the SD card.

Back