What's new
To use it you need MAME installed on a 64 Bit Win machine.
Oh hai. I have one of those.

Since you did all the hard work I thought this was the least I could do... I made a batch file to convert all the games for me, and then uploaded the MAME set here:

https://mega.nz/#!05YCWaqb!ppNPAjh1JTvMp5r1mbDgG-1-Aup0-8TUXTJvkg0hoRc

I *just* crimped a cable but need to solder it in tomorrow, then do some testing. Anyone else want to test this pack?

@SmokeMonster I included a null key file in the root directory. I think if you add that to any of the romhacks/homebrew games in your original pack(s) then they'll work.

@SmokeMonster I included a null key file in the root directory. I think if you add that to any of the romhacks/homebrew games in your original pack(s) then they'll work.
Great work, RTW & Ekorz.

Thanks for making this MAME pack! My new Roll-Up is almost ready to go. Could someone please copy the NAME files from the old pack to the proper new MAME folders and send them to me?

Also, could someone please track down the patches on the forum and apply them to the MAME files and send those to me?

Here is the MAME version of Progear Halfway to Hell. Could someone please test it and let me know if it works or needs changes? It came with a file "phoenix.key". Should I use that or the regular Progear key?

Thanks. So I should just use the blank key file?

Also, in MAME, did mvcudm become mvscu?

Last edited:
@SmokeMonster

New MAME full-set .7z file: https://mega.nz/#!kkx2jJqL!jKJAnCevg8woKYXrcQFN3QU4icryCm6Sp4ba0McHPds
  • same MAME set as before, converted with @rtw's .exe file
  • 'game' files removed from each directory
  • 'NAME' files added along the lines of your previous NAME files ("=R" region convention, padded to 16 bytes, no scrolling on the LCD, ALTs are reasonably named including the new games)
Also I pulled the rom info out of MAME and built this sheet, to get you started on an updated Game List if you're doing one: CPS2 MAME Game List (google doc). I'll give you edit access if you want it, just PM me the address to share it with. If I goofed anything up with the NAME files I have scripts that can rebuild them quickly, so let me know what's broken!

I did some testing with about a dozen games, and things seemed fine except I still suck at AvsP (but the quarters were freeee).

@SmokeMonster

New MAME full-set .7z file: https://mega.nz/#!kkx2jJqL!jKJAnCevg8woKYXrcQFN3QU4icryCm6Sp4ba0McHPds
  • 'NAME' files added along the lines of your previous NAME files ("=R" region convention, padded to 16 bytes, no scrolling on the LCD, ALTs are reasonably named including the new games)
Also I pulled the rom info out of MAME and built this sheet, to get you started on an updated Game List if you're doing one: CPS2 MAME Game List (google doc). I'll give you edit access if you want it, just PM me the address to share it with. If I goofed anything up with the NAME files I have scripts that can rebuild them quickly, so let me know what's broken!
This is a real godsend, thanks!

I feel like taking a more casual approach to the new game list this time, so would you be OK with me just linking to your Doc file as the new official list? Since everything is now MAME-based, I'm OK with it not becoming a phone-book of data like the current CPS-2 game list :D

Thanks also for the NAME files. I know that was a huge amount of work for you, and I really appreciate it. They look perfect!

@Darksoft The new MAME set is 10GB. Are cards over 8GB supported on the multi?

@SmokeMonster

This is a real godsend, thanks!
I feel like taking a more casual approach to the new game list this time, so would you be OK with me just linking to your Doc file as the new official list? Since everything is now MAME-based, I'm OK with it not becoming a phone-book of data like the current CPS-2 game list :D

Thanks also for the NAME files. I know that was a huge amount of work for you, and I really appreciate it. They look perfect!

@Darksoft The new MAME set is 10GB. Are cards over 8GB supported on the multi?
They should work......only one way to find out....

Fine by me, I'll leave it public and maintain it if we add hacks or something.

NAME files for that many games *would have been* a lot of work, so I just had a .bat file do it for me :D
The weirdest part was that windows adds two extra bytes by default (a line break) which shows up in the LCD - and I had to figure out how to remove those.

That's brilliant, Thanks again for all of the help. I'll credit you for it in the Roll-Up release, which will probably be today. Although, people don't need to wait for that. The Full MAME Pack will be a 1:1 copy of ekorz's pack :D

Last edited:
i posted my more 'minimal' set over here too if anyone wants it: CPS2 Roll-Up Packs: All roms for the CPS2 kit

thanks @rtw for the tool! and of course thanks to all the folks who made the decrypted sets we've been using this whole time. honestly i can't tell a difference I just know there are purists who will want to run these mame roms since there's an option now.

This is wonderful news. It sounds great. I can't wait to install and update mine. So will this the forum for the full instruction for those interested in updating their CPS2multis? Or is this for just the new rom set? I understand we have to solder some wire to a few specific point but do we just download and load new rom set on sd card and go ham?

@KOarcade You have to connect four wires from the multi to your b board. First post (and related links) instructs you on where to connect. I had a rev7, so I used the cn9 connector on my b board, the middle four pins. Those wires connect to small solder points on the DS pcb. If you have a rev7 also I have another set of wires crimped to a suitable connector, if you need.

From there it's easy. Format an sd card, put the new pack into the root/games directory. Put the new firmware file (also first post) at the root dir. it will update on the first boot, writing the new firmware and deleting it.

If you have an older multi it's a bit more complicated so I won't describe it here!

If you want to run romhacks or previously decrypted roms, it will require a file called "key" in its directory. You could copy that file from my "USA" pack, the rom hacks in there have a suitable key file.

Last edited:
Back