What's new

Solmin

Professional
Reaction score
I recently acquired a Capcom Impress with 2 MakVision Monitors. I would like to get a curved model and I only plan to run CPS2 or Neo Geo on it with multi kits. Do I need trisync or what model is best for CPS2.

ST is my favorite game.

thanks guys.

If you only want to play those two systems then you only need a 15K monitor. 25k would be for mostly Sega stuff like model 2 and 3 (and some 90's Midway/Atari stuff but they can switch to 15k too), 31k would be for newer stuff like Naomi (which also does 15k) and a lot of the PC based systems.

Not sure which monitors fit the Impress, but in terms of quality for 15k, it is hard to beat a Nanao MS8 or MS9 :)

No only do you not need a tri-sync, I'd avoid them, they don't look quite the same at 15khz compared to a dedicated monitor. Unless you want a sharper picture with more defined scan lines, in which case go for it. But most people are looking for that more classic 'softer' look for the old games.

Yea I personally think Tri-syncs are worthless... Get a nice dedicated low rez CRT for 15khz mode it will look the best, 24khz mode is unnecessary/unneeded by 99.9% of people and 31khz mode (aka VGA) is best with a dedicated high rez only.

Not sure which monitors fit the Impress, but in terms of quality for 15k, it is hard to beat a Nanao MS8 or MS9 :)
I agree with this! and as Aurich said, the non-tri sync models tend to look better with 15KHz games.

--

Maybe you understand arcade resolutions, but in case you don't: There are many different resolutions that arcade games run at, but most CRT resolutions run at one of 3 horizontal refresh rates or "sync modes".

15KHz aka "standard resolution" this can be 240P or 480i or a host of other resolution, I'd say the vast majority of arcade games run at this resolution at least the vast majority through the 80s and 90s.

25KHz aka "medium resolution" this is mostly found on 90s era racing games, And As Mitsu said... Sega Model 2 and Model 3 and some atari stuff used it as well.

and

31KHz aka "VGA" or "high resolution" this is usually 640x480 or 480P This didn't start getting used until the late 90s and is used by NAOMI and System 256 and many games designed for LCDs can support this resolution in order to run on a CRT cab.

"Tri-Sync" means that it supports all 3 of these sync modes. you'll see some older monitors called "dual-sync" meaning that they usually support 15KHz and 24KHz but not 31KHz. They're great for versatility but because they support high resolution mode they often don't have the nice fat, razor sharp scanlines that you'd get with a 15Kz only or a dual-sync.

CPS2 and MVS are both 15KHz only so you only need a monitor that supports 15KHz.

The Nano MS8 and Nano MS9 monitors are arguably the best low-resolution monitors ever made (I'm also partial to the Wells Gardner k7000, though I don't think that came in a 27in)

the MS9 is a better option than the MS8, they're easier to source and a newer monitor. MS8s had high failure rates on the flyback transformer too; which is a part that is no longer made so yeah...

Those makvisions you have are likely tri-sync. I'm sure there are lots of people in the MAME world who would trade you an MS9-29 for one of them in a heartbeat as a tri-sync is really ideal for a MAME setup due to is wide resolution support.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the information! I've never concerned myself with the details until I owned a cab.

Back