What's new
Fantastic! ∆∆∆∆∆

Thank you very much!

I already have a couple of those free HF multi meters laying around so I'll check that out ASAP.

Yikes, can't say I agree with your choice to get a GDROM at all...

Boss_SmashTV.png

"Good luck, you'll need it"

Are the GD-Rom drives known to be unreliable and break or something? ∆∆∆∆

My cab already came with one installed and working, so I was planning on getting a CvS2 disk and security chip.

If the GD-Rom drives are not worth it though maybe I'll just abandon my search for CvS2 and sell off the GD-Rom parts and make the cab a dedicated MvC2 machine.

Thanks for the input!

Are the GD-Rom drives known to be unreliable
yes but don't let that stop you, if your is working it will probably continue to work fine for home use. if you were going to run this in an arcade you might consider a more reliable option.

also don't let jassin fool you into thinking all options other than his multi carts are crap, he's just a guy who like the very best and is willing to pay whatever it costs to get it, which is obviously not the ideal situation for every one. :D His biggest gripes with the non-cart options is that they're very slow to boot up (you should have an idea of how long that takes with your current setup), they have a lot of bulky extra equipment (not really relevant to your setup since it's perminently installed in your cab already), and they require a JVS Power supply (which you already have). those problems are annoying for someone who swapps boards out of a candy cab, they're mostly moot to someone with a dedicated cab like yourself.

Honestly this is still your best option IMO:
cheapest option is send your dimm to mistu to get it updated to 4.02 and buy the cf-card reader from him too as you'll get a discount on the pair - $100 + postage. Check his sales thread for details, I have used his services and it works fine.
This is the cheapest option. AND you can still use GDROM games if you like. it's just modifying your DIMM board to ALSO work with CF cards. It wont solve any of the 3 problems that jassin hates above, but essentially it will work just like the GDROM you have now except you'll swap CF cards (that you can write yourself with any game you like) and no need to change out the key chip with each game either.

Have you checked into making it a "net-bootable" system to play ALL of the games?

Have you checked into making it a "net-bootable" system to play ALL of the games?
Yes I have considered it. But at $200 for a netdimm, and having to plug in my laptop every single time that I wanted to play some games, it didn't seem like the best fit for me.

And since I only really wanted to play a few fighting games anyway I decided to just get the originals.

It will be nice to have the original games from a collector/preservation standpoint as well and for the games that I wanted it will only cost a little more money than the netdimm ($300 vs $200).

I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that my GD-Rom drive holds up! But I guess even if it doesn't the original games should retain most of their value and I could re-sell my GDRoms if it comes to that.

Last edited:
I have never had issues with my five GD-ROM drives that have been in use for five days a week, every week, for over two years. They're nowhere near as unreliable as some people make them out to be.

Thumbs up for your current plan!

Yeah that was already suggested, and seems like a great option too ∆∆∆

Running an Ethernet cable to my cab wouldn't work for me though because of the location of my router.

But from what I have been reading the raspberry pi 3 already has wireless built in, so that might work.

Does anyone here netboot over WiFi? I think all I would need would be the netdimm and a raspberry pi 3 to accomplish this. Is that correct? I don't think the LCD pi plate would be required since you would just select games from your browser I assume.

I boot by leaving a router wired to my NAOMIs and I use a web interface from a wifi'd laptop. I started doing this before the pi stuff was really around so I just stuck with it. Plus I leave 2 cabs hooked up so I get away with one pc with all the roms on it. I wrote PHP scripts where you just select which cab and game and it takes care of the rest.

My test setup has a netboot setup hooked up to a wireless switch. And I begin the boot process from a Wi-Fi laptop. Easy to do.

When using the RaspPi, it holds the roms, and using the PiPlate you can select the rom to load, which then sends it to the Net-Dimm.

You power the RaspPi from the Naomi, the ethernet cable goes from the RaspPi to the Net-Dimm.

No router, no computer, all in one solution that sits inside the cab. Open coin door, grab RaspPi, load game, close coin door, Play!

And yes, if your RaspPi has wifi, you CAN load the games from your phone.

Again, no router, no computer needed.

Basically, this setup is similar to the other Darksoft Multigames, like the CPS2. It comes with an LCD to select games. Only the roms are stored in the multi SD card. But similar in function.

Here's my setup with the Capcom I/O so I can run this in my Jamma cab easily.

This is all you need to Net Boot Naomi.

You can see the black power cord coming from the RaspPI to the Naomi. (the small white connector between the Video input and the Power connector.)

And you can see the Ethernet cable coming from the RaspPi to the Net-dimm.

Both of those cables are 4 ft long to make it easy to reach the RaspPi through the coin door.

Notice the game loaded... :D

MyNaoimi.JPG

Nice setup @brentradio ∆∆∆∆

Thanks for explaining it further also. I was under the impression that you needed to have a cable attached to the router to load the games even with raspberry pi, but I guess I was wrong.

I think that what you have is the best way to go if you want to play most of the Naomi games available. I say most because from what I have read many games require specific controls (eg: monkeyball, virtual golf, shooting games, etc).

The only thing that I can see as a drawback of netbooting would be if all of the characters were not unlocked for MvC2. Is that how it is every time you boot MvC2 after playing something else or turning it off?

Do the netboot games all play true to their original form?

I only ask because in my Neo Geo cabinet I have a 150 in 1 multi cart and some of the games seem to play pretty choppy, so I was curious if that also happens with the netboot games on the Naomi.

yes they all play like the originals as they are just decypted. binarialy they are the exact same

Nice setup @brentradio ∆∆∆∆

Thanks for explaining it further also. I was under the impression that you needed to have a cable attached to the router to load the games even with raspberry pi, but I guess I was wrong.

I think that what you have is the best way to go if you want to play most of the Naomi games available. I say most because from what I have read many games require specific controls (eg: monkeyball, virtual golf, shooting games, etc).

The only thing that I can see as a drawback of netbooting would be if all of the characters were not unlocked for MvC2. Is that how it is every time you boot MvC2 after playing something else or turning it off?

Do the netboot games all play true to their original form?

I only ask because in my Neo Geo cabinet I have a 150 in 1 multi cart and some of the games seem to play pretty choppy, so I was curious if that also happens with the netboot games on the Naomi.
we would have to unlock all the characters but earlier this year, we got this gift:

So can MvC2 be hacked?

I think you guys finally sold me on the netbooting with raspberry pi! I should have just listened from the beginning... Now I have to either return or resell my MvC2 cartridge once it arrives from Japan.

Hopefully I can find a good netdimm for sale and pick up a raspberry pi and LCD plate for a good price on black Friday.

Back