What's new

xanderXone

Student
Reaction score
Good morning folks!

I picked up this Capcom "big blue" cab from one of my friends that didn't want to move it to his new place.

It had been sitting outside under a covered patio for the last 6-7 years so the exterior is in pretty rough shape. I removed all the brittle T molding and scraped off most of the peeling vinyl. The wood is actually in pretty fair condition given the circumstances. Most importantly though the inner parts all seem to be in excellent working condition.

It came with the GD-Rom "Sports Jam" which must be the least fun arcade game ever, so I am looking to change that and add something good.

I'm new to the whole netbooting thing but have been reading a lot about it over the last few days. My dim board doesn't have the netdimm RJ-45 connection and from the test menu is showing program version 1.02. What are my options with this hardware?

I'm really wanting to play Marvel vs Capcom2, Capcom vs Snk 2, and possible Street Fighter Zero 3. Would I be better off just looking for GD-Roms and Carts or should I buy what is needed for netbooting?

I think I'll also need to buy some additional parts to add more buttons to the control panel so I can play these games. Can you explain the process for accomplishing this?
IMG_20171114_095550.jpg
IMG_20171114_095635.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20171114_095550.jpg
    IMG_20171114_095550.jpg
    484.3 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_20171113_220201.jpg
    IMG_20171113_220201.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_20171113_220201.jpg
    IMG_20171113_220201.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 198
Your Dimm board (the blue-gray cartridge with the metal plate that is plugged into the Naomi) is a regular Dimm. It isn't a Net Dimm.

Option 1:
You can have that Dimm's firmware upgraded so that you can boot games from compact flash card (CF Boot) rather than GD-ROM. That will allow you to play most of the games on that list. If you go the CF Boot route, you will also need a CF Reader. Most people that want to multiboot their Naomi's find that CF booting is slow and laborious. So instead of using a regular Dimm, they replace it with a Net Dimm.

Option 2:
A Net Dimm allows you to load games from your computer through your network to your Naomi. The concession you'll have to make is that you have to wire an ethernet cable from your router to your arcade cabinet. That isn't always feasible for most due to physical location from where their arcade machines are relative to the router in their house. In those situations, folks will Pi-boot. It is the same concept, but instead of loading games from the network, they build custom Raspberry Pi's to connect to the Naomi with a networking cable, then load the games by pressing buttons on the Raspberry Pi. As of late, there have been projects going on where Pi-booters can load games with their cell phones through WiFi which is a really cool option too.

In terms of cost, the cheapest route is standard Netbooting. Should run you about $200 for a Net Dimm and a new Null Pic/Security key. Going the way of Netbooting will also allow you to sell your GD-ROM, the GD-ROM cable, the Dimm, and your GD-ROM game and Security Key to recoup about $100 back to your cost. Again, you have to run a cable from your router to your arcade machine. If that can't be done, then you'll have to factor in the costs for the Raspberry Pi parts.

CF booking will run you about $50 for the update service plus shipping. Then I think you the CF Reader is another $150, or so. Then the cost for each CF card is $5-$10. You'd have to keep your GD-ROM cables, but you can sell your GD-ROM.

Pick an option, and we can go from there. Also, you will have to do a bit of rewiring because of your I/O board is the Sega version. Not too much though.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply ∆∆∆∆∆∆

I appreciate you breaking it down into options like that, and the level of detail you provided.

If I am going to have to spend that much, I wonder if I might be better off just making it a dedicated Marvel vs Capcom 2 cab.

Are MvC2 GD-Roms/carts readily available? If so where would you recommend I look?

MvC2 is only available officially as a cart. That alone will set you back $150 and only if you can find someone willing to let go of it. CvS2 is "officially" available as a GD-ROM. You can get CvS2 going right away, but that will set you back $80-$100, again only if someone is willing to get away with it. Getting away from Sports Jam will require you to do some rewiring which is a necessity given your I/O board.

Your best bet is a Net Dimm. One is selling on eBay for just under $200. I'd snag it. Then sell your GD-ROM, GD-ROM cable, Dimm, Sports Jam game. You'll probably end up spending $100 after the resell of your stuff.

Getting away from Sports Jam will require you to do some rewiring which is a necessity given your I/O board.
all he'll really need to do is add a kick harness to that Sega JAMMA I/O. not really "re-wiring" just adding some additional wires for the new buttons.
after you've got the buttons and wires taken care of...
You'll also want to get a MultiBios which costs about $20 and improves the compatibility of your NAOMI

For MVC2 you'll need to:
-Buy the cart (currently $200 shipped on eBay) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-vs-...709863?hash=item1ed29fd867:g:kgYAAOSw5UZY87dW
-remove the DIMM board and install the cart in it's place

For CVS2 you'll need to:
-Buy a GDROM and a matching key: (currently $170 shipped on eBay) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Capcom-Vs-...378992?hash=item3d49c0d3f0:g:gNIAAOSw0K5Zyi4a
-install the key in the DIMM board, install the disc in the GDROM drive

For SFZ3U
-Buy a GDROM and a matching key: (no current or recent listings that I can find)
-install the key in the DIMM board, install the disc in the GDROM drive

For Net Boot setup:
-Buy a NetDimm (currently $200 shipped on eBay) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-840-0...534569?hash=item1c97d701a9:g:UyEAAOSwqbxaCQQJ
-Buy a Zero Key from someone who makes them (usually ~$10)
-Replace your DIMM with the Net DIMM install the zero key in the key chip slot and you can remove your GD-ROM drive.

You'll also need a Computer to send the data to your Net DIMM "every time" you boot. So you can use a laptop if you're cheap or lots of people use a Raspberry Pi. So the Pi will set you back $35 + $25 for an LCD module (or you can go with a wifi setup and use your phone to select a game... plus an SD card and a crossover cable and something to power the pi (so another ~$25 or so for that stuff). if you've already got some of it that's cheaper.

So while this is the most expensive option for a single game, if you want more than 1 game it's the cheapest option.

also consider that if you go with a net-boot setup you can also sell your DIMM and GD-ROM drive and recoup at least $100.

I don't know if you've seen it but I have an extensive guide on how to net-boot: How to Net-boot NAOMI/Tri-Force/Chihiro Using Pi-Force Tools

I would recommend buying a cart based game like MvC2 or a Jorge 2-in-1 cart with converted GDROM games on it.

Sell the GDROM+DIMM+Sports Disc game, and wire in a CPS2/3 kick harness solution.

Or wait for @Darksoft to make a flash cart multi :D Just saying...it could happen cause the man is on a roll, this year has the potential for him to have released 3 multis, I think that would be a record.

But yeah, get multi carts from Joerg, he makes 2in1 and some 4in1 carts I think, depends on what games you want.

cheapest option is send your dimm to mistu to get it updated to 4.02 and buy the cf-card reader from him too as you'll get a discount on the pair - $100 + postage. Check his sales thread for details, I have used his services and it works fine.

Then write your games to cf's and use as normal.

Last edited:
looking at the picture of the bottom of the control panel the location for the two extra buttons you need is pretty obvious - you'll need 6 buttons per player for street fighter.

The earth/gnd wire can be looped from the existing wires and you'll need to run two extra wires down to the kick connector on the jvs converter.

cheapest option is send your dimm to mistu to get it updated to 4.02 and buy the cf-card reader from him too as you'll get a discount on the pair - $100 + postage.
It didn't run all that smoothly for me at all, lots of load errors that required me to remove and reseat the dimm constantly (like CPS3 security cart only 10x worse).
Even then when it worked, it took what seemed like an eternity to load up...
Also (and this was just in my case) I didn't have a GDROM or SCSI cable, so yea while Mits only charged me 100$ for the dimm mod and CF kit, that damn cable was 30$ on eBay!

Finally (and also unique to my situation) powering my Naomi with a Capcom IO the DIMM solutions are too power hungry to run reliably.
I don't want to have two power supplies (OP already has a real JVS PSU so for him it's a non-issue) inside my cab, just to feed that fat/greedy bitch of a DIMM.

Huge thumbs down from me :thumbdown:

"The two I requested (MvC2 and CvS2) could fit on a single cart together, but no room remaining for anything else."
I think that would be perfect for me! Does Jorge currently have them available for sale? How should I get in contact with him?

While being able to play many different games using netboot would be pretty darn cool, I wouldn't want to plug in my laptop every time I wanted to get some arcade action in.

"For MVC2 you'll need to:
-Buy the cart (currently $200 shipped on eBay) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-vs-...709863?hash=item1ed29fd867:g:kgYAAOSw5UZY87dW
-remove the DIMM board and install the cart in it's place

For CVS2 you'll need to:
-Buy a GDROM and a matching key: (currently $170 shipped on eBay) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Capcom-Vs-...378992?hash=item3d49c0d3f0:g:gNIAAOSw0K5Zyi4a
-install the key in the DIMM board, install the disc in the GDROM drive"

It looks like those are Japanese versions, will they still work in my cabinet and will I be able to play them in English? Sorry for the noob questions.

It looks like those are Japanese versions, will they still work in my cabinet and will I be able to play them in English? Sorry for the noob questions.
Most NAOMI games are region free and will automatically convert themselves to the region of your bios.

so if you have a MVC2 cart and a Japanese bios you'll play the Japanese version, if you switch to a USA bios you'll play the USA version.

that's the benefit of the multi bios is you can switch regions without having to swap out the bios chip inside your naomi

this is beneficial for games like Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper, as that is Japanese only and wont play on a USA bios

"Most NAOMI games are region free and will automatically convert themselves to the region of your bios.

so if you have a MVC2 cart and a Japanese bios you'll play the Japanese version, if you switch to a USA bios you'll play the USA version."

Excellent! Thank you for the clarification.

all he'll really need to do is add a kick harness to that Sega JAMMA I/O. not really "re-wiring" just adding some additional wires for the new buttons.
after you've got the buttons and wires taken care of...
Sure about this? I thought buttons 4 & 5 are on the JAMMA edge on the Sega I/O? Only button 6 is on the CN connector.

@xanderXone, check out this thread. I am restoring a cab just like yours:

Capcom Big Blue SF2CE Restoration

Details from Arcade Otaku:

Kick/Extra buttons

CN3 is a 14-pin JST_NH connector, when jumper JP1 in position B:
  • 5 buttons pr player, all on jamma edge
  • 8 general purpose driver outputs on CN3
Jumper JP1 in position A:
  • No general purpose outputs
  • 9 Buttons pr player, with buttons 6-9 via CN3:
1 - 5VDC Out 2 - 5VDC Out 3 - 5VDC Out 4 - P1 button 6 5 - P1 button 7 6 - P1 button 8 7 - p1 button 9 8 - p2 button 6 9 - p2 button 710 - p2 button 811 - p2 button 912 - GND13 - GND14 - GND

Details from Arcade Otaku:

Kick/Extra buttons

CN3 is a 14-pin JST_NH connector, when jumper JP1 in position B:
  • 5 buttons pr player, all on jamma edge
  • 8 general purpose driver outputs on CN3
Jumper JP1 in position A:
  • No general purpose outputs
  • 9 Buttons pr player, with buttons 6-9 via CN3:
1 - 5VDC Out 2 - 5VDC Out 3 - 5VDC Out 4 - P1 button 6 5 - P1 button 7 6 - P1 button 8 7 - p1 button 9 8 - p2 button 6 9 - p2 button 710 - p2 button 811 - p2 button 912 - GND13 - GND14 - GND
Right, I meant 4 & 5 are on the Jamma edge (which is not Jamma standard) along with the standard 1, 2, 3 also being on the Jamma edge. Button 6 and beyond on the CN connector. I believe the game kicks out an error if the jumper is in position B. Only in position A is button 6 and beyond available. Some slight rewiring is required in any case. I also like the ideal of rigging up a CPS2 connector. That way game boards can be swapped out as needed.

Sure about this? I thought buttons 4 & 5 are on the JAMMA edge on the Sega I/O? Only button 6 is on the CN connector.
I'd have to drag out my setup to double check but If I recall, from when I was testing these I/Os, most of the Capcom games when using this I/O board mapped buttons 4 and 5 to both the expansion I/O and the JAMMA edge despite the pin numbering. Maybe someone who has one of these already up and running can confirm.

Back