What's new

invzim

Champion
Reaction score
Just a quick pic of one of my work-in-progress projects, by far the most complex thingie I've been been working on.
scaler 12.JPG

Snagged the chance to get rev 1.2 printed as allpcb has free shipping promo. Seems to be working fine and major issues so far.

Performance is very nice, and next big thing for it is to have an OSD menu system.

It's a line doubler, much like the OSSC, but 30 bit analog input and output, different hardware than the ossc, and a dedicated sync processing pre-stage. Goal is to make it plug&play without any 'tweaking' necessary.

Holy crap can you support 5/6x scaling at 4k resolutions?
Cuz that would be a huge selling point, the OSSC maxes out at 1600x1200 (which is technically 4k but only slightly higher then 1920x1080).

+1 for OSSC-like capabilities without the tweaking.

+100 if you could make it 4K capable.

It's mostly for 31k CRT monitors, and mostly for arcade PCB's, and had stuff like analog pass-thru. The A part of the name is for analog - and not quite sure how much 'value' a D(igital) version would add over the OSSC.

It really would boil down to the price. A cheap 2x+ upscaler with digital output would be a godsend for a lot of us who need extra converters for test setups, etc.
The OSSC is not expensive - £135.00 price excluding VAT is VERY reasonable for what it contains I think. Can't really compare it to 1-chip SOC thingies made of Chinesium by the thousands.

I never said the OSSC is expensive for what you get.

RetroTink is already making a cheap 2x digital upscaler though, so I'll just go with that.

RetroTink is already making a cheap 2x digital upscaler though, so I'll just go with that.
That thing is TINY, I have no idea how he does this with that few parts - looks like a neat solution.

It's mostly for 31k CRT monitors
Blah, sorry I but I was forced to "dislike" this... CRTs are DEAD, sorry to be the one to break it to you but it's true.

As far as its value compared to the OSSC?
Well I just told you how to make it better then the OSSC...

Support 4k rez, 6x scaling, with HDR on a 4:4:4 color space, I'll toss my OSSCs (both of them) in the trash and buy your device tomorrow.

That thing is TINY, I have no idea how he does this with that few parts - looks like a neat solution.
From the official site it only supports: Video inputs: component, S-video and composite

So no RGB.

It's mostly for 31k CRT monitors
Blah, sorry I but I was forced to "dislike" this... CRTs are DEAD, sorry to be the one to break it to you but it's true.
As far as its value compared to the OSSC?
Well I just told you how to make it better then the OSSC...

Support 4k rez, 6x scaling, with HDR on a 4:4:4 color space, I'll toss my OSSCs (both of them) in the trash and buy your device tomorrow.
You're probably right - but I don't care :) This is something I want myself, and have been working on forever. In Europe there are quite a few Naomi Universal cab's with 31k only monitors (mine included) that can benefit from something like this, and for general retro stuff it's a lot easier to pick up a 31k+ computer CRT than 15k monitors.

To design a board that does 4K video, you will need (real) professional skills, and I presume companies doing this have entire teams and ridiculously expensive test equipment. Someone will likely do it sooner or later, but AFAIK it's out of reach for the garage tinkerer right now.

Still...all good stuff guys. Its still a very good project that will serve its purpose well. So :thumbsup:

But, I also agree that wee need an OSSC like device that can do the 4k rez, 6x scaling, with HDR on a 4:4:4 color space as Jassin says. Even if it costs way more than what the current ossc does.

Jassin is just sour because he necked his Nanao, don't let 'em get you down!

There is a definite need for your device. :thumbsup:

Add me to the list of those that necked a D9200 tube - very frustrating! I am very interested in this especially if it eliminates a lot of the "tweaking" and mess of the Chinese options currently available. Plug and play would be awesome. Any idea what price range at this point and/or availability? Great project. Keep going!

Back