What's new

lemans123

Student
Reaction score
can anyone give me an advice how I could take care of my pcb boards so they will last along time

Well, depends how much you want to spend.

Low cost (well free :D ), Fedex/USPS shipping boxes

These you can get on Uline or Amazon
You could get antistatic foam line boxes (gets expensive)
You could also buy antistatic bubble pouches

Try to always store your boards vertically/on edge to take the weight of and avoid boards warping.
Temp wise, if its comfortable for you, then its ok for the boards.

There is a thread somewhere with many storage options.

In the first place I like to keep them clean. Some people use an ultrasonic cleaner, I just use a regular painting brush to take most of the dirt out.

Then put in a bubble wrap envelope and into a cardboard box. Some people make real wonders with their collection.

C'mon guys, show us what you got :)

I was not able to find a large enough ultrasonic cleaner (the ones used by the jubliers are too small).
Also use a regular painting brush. For heavy dirt - isopropyl alcohol on a cotton ball.
The boards (in a bubble wrap) are held vertically on the shelves.
Unfortunately, in most cases, I can not use cardboard boxes - the pcb collection in the boxes (with pretty labels) looks great but it takes a lot of space...

The whole room in the apartment collapsed with retro stuff and now THIS - huge ultrasonic cleaner - that would be too much for my wife... ;)

Someone gave me sound advice, which I followed, and have been very happy with it. Got2 sizes of clear stackable storage boxes. Don't put too many PCB's in each. Put the PCB's in anti-static bags if you have them, or the pink non-esd building kind if you don't. This way also keeps me from misplacing stuff like adapters, art etc that comes with the PCB.

2015-07-01 boxes.JPG
2015-07-03 boxes.JPG

Attachments

• 2015-09-06 boxes.JPG
    2015-09-06 boxes.JPG
    455.3 KB · Views: 217
lol
i used to be an operator, if you saw how we used to treat pcb's you would understand just how bullet-proof most are.
storing them in garages behind the cars, thowing them into the back of vans (literally sometimes)

a bag or some bubble-wrap keeps the dust or nichotene off, but they are damned resilient!

jeez, throwing them into a van . Some people just don't have feelings :|

lol
i used to be an operator, if you saw how we used to treat pcb's you would understand just how bullet-proof most are.
storing them in garages behind the cars, thowing them into the back of vans (literally sometimes)

a bag or some bubble-wrap keeps the dust or nichotene off, but they are damned resilient!
Somehow this picture comes to mind...

free-candy.jpg

Not always the most convenient, but I recommend storing them vertically, like books. PCBs stored horizontally and not uniformly supported (i.e. entire board flush with supporting surface) will sag/bend/warp over time (especially in the case of standing on PCB feet). If stored vertically, sagging is not an issue.
-ud

Back