What's new

Mattroid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone here would have any interest in working on such a project, but it's one that has a lot of interest, just not by the right technical people, haha.

So apparently Dave Widel might have made a Bubble Bobble high score save kit some time ago, but as far as I know what was made was a very limited run and who knows who has them at this point.

There is also code that supports saves for bootleg boards, but it won't work with an original BB board.

Anyone here with any interest in this, either to buy or to produce?

free_avatar___bubble_bobble_gr_by_chesney.gif
bubby-bobble.gif

I've always been interested by hardware hacks on Bubble Bobble, not just to add features like saving of high scores, but to repair functions of the MCU that were broken/unused prior to the games 1986 release.

You can read about some of the details here...

As it turns out some of the seemingly random data returned by the MCU had a function originally, only it wasn't enabled or bugged/broken? Fascinating!

Very interesting! Got to have a look!
I have a few mods pending in my bootleg board,

The first one is theredux mod, using an almost perfect MCU emulation,
The second one I one to achieve is the lost cave project, I think it´s wonderful to have a new B.B. version
And the last one I´d like to do is this Elgen´s mod to be able to have Lost Cave and Redux in the same board,

Hope you like it!
;)

I've looked at these some (linked in my original post) and my understanding is that at least one of those supports HS saves. However, I also understand that you must have a bootleg board to use these, which is something I don't have currently. I will probably look into finding one at some point, though, since it seems unlikely that we'll see a HS save kit for the original board any time soon.

Back