What's new

MissionFailed

Professional
Reaction score
So, i was inspired by every ones projects and decided to learn more about simple prototyping. Downloaded "ExpressPCB" and took last Saturday teaching my self the basics and made my first personal project.... I think.... Its a work in progress. If you have any ideas or see any problems please let me know . Any information would be valuable and vary much appreciated. If this docent work, that's fine. I'll just scrap it and start over. I just wanted a start point and an image to get my idea across.

Project Goal : Have the controls of (x) home game consoles and/or arcade pcbs, to One stander 2player arcade control panel. With the least amount of wires or need for unplugging/plugging/exchanging cables. Smallest foot print possible for the condensers board.

Example 1 :
Namco 359, Lindbergh, type x2, xbox 360, -to-> Controller Condenser -to->
--> [(1)db37 to (2)db15] -to-> (2) RGB's Sega Saturn to JAMMA joypad converter- to -> Virtua stick Pro

Example 2 :
(on shelves next to a blast city = Naomi, ps2, wii, namco 246)--> Controller Condenser---> controller condenser inside arcade cabinet with installed namco 256 pcb controls connected ----> blast city control panel

Design : based off Mitsurugi's Capcom cps1/2/3 kick harness condenser. I was looking around the internet for a full 2player controller condenser solutions for a Virtua stick pro, and all i could find was a db37 5-way switch box. Not bad at $70, but I wasn't interested in stacking a bunch of switch boxes. I wanted something clever, non-visible, with least amount of wires. Looking at Mitsurugi's board i was curious if i could eyeball it and expanded it to 34 leads and stackable. though it would be a simple project to learn prototyping software.

- this board is for jamma to db37 connector standard. I went with db37 connectors because i thought it would be cleaner than having a bunch of jamma extension harnesses or ide cables strung about. It can always be change later if need be.
3pPh6N3.jpg

Larger Photo

Bottom side Photo

Top side Photo

There are a few mistakes. Most notably, I think the diodes are on backwards. :whistling: I flipped a group of them to arrange them at one point, and forgot to fix them. I wanted to post the idea and try to get some feedback be for going any further. I was originally thinking of having the boards fit together stacked with interlocking 10 pin male/female connector, but i think that doesn't leave enough ceiling room for right angle db37 connectors and/or 40 pin right angle ide connectors used for the left/right "in" controller throughput. Miisalo's st-v Screen kit has some sweet metal raiser post in his build. I'll have to try to source thous.

- For ps2/3/4, xbox/360, dreamcast, and wii, I'm thinking of changing the db37 connectors for 40 pin. Putting the condenser board in a box with those system controller pcbs. So only to have one db37 or smaller in from all systems, and one db37 condenser chain out to another control condenser chain or control panel.

- For Nes, SNes, Genesis, Saturn, Pc Engine ?(-turbo switches)? Their controller board circuits look simple enough to replicate directly on the condenser board , eliminating the need for the actual controller pcbs. this should save a lot of space and wouldn't be too difficult to redesign the condenser board to fit them. I'm think i could fit 2player Nes, Snes, and Pc Engine male controller plugs on one db37 cable
(left side) and Genesis and Saturn 2player controls on the other (right side) with a db24.

Once i get all the bugs knocked out of this board. i'll start working on the retro console condenser board, and the modern console condenser board. This was at the least a good intellectual exercise, hope i don't sound too much like a nutter 8| .
Any help, advise, or ideas, would be greatly appreciated. thanks for you time.....................(>'.')>

63Kxeek.jpg

Last edited:
thanks. :)

sorry, realized I forgot the TLDR ver.

.... I haz want put a Namco 359, Lindbergh, and type x2 in a larger dresser, under my tv. I haz want only one wire out, to a 2player control panel. No control wire switching. Systems are not meant to be powered at same time, but don't want an issue if they are.
- Be nice too hook console system controls to the controller with minimal wires.

Would this control condenser work as a solution? was hoping for a bit of Cunningham's law.....

I found this Ps360+ multi control board. seems perfect for hooking console controls to a cab. wonder why i haven't seen it recommended be for? I'll have to test one out, but i think its emulating controller hardware instead of actual controller circuits. i would prefer the latter. Although with everything de solder from it, I thing I could fit it to the top of condenser board with a 20pin male/female connector like so in this rough mock up sketch.

Started taking apart some controllers and tracing the leads. most of the controllers look like they can be condensed a lot. here is a Genesis 6 button controller circuit i started with. Think I might try everything up to a original xbox.

Nes, SNes, Genesis, Saturn, and Pc Engine on One condenser board mock up

Sound like a good project on the controller end, what are you doing to switch video/audio from the systems/pcbs to the cab??

Sound like a good project on the controller end, what are you doing to switch video/audio from the systems/pcbs to the cab??
Thanks :D i omitted bringing up audio/video because trying to explain the controls seemed complicate by itself.
- Wanted to narrow my project scope...controllers are simple. its a one button lead repeated X times. To be reductive.
- didn't want the board to require power. having controls separate from A/V would make it compatible with different resolution/set-up/scenario.
- printing pcb boards seem is the more you order. this is a personal opensource project. Im not looking to sell anything or have any money tied up in assumed useless kits. i though a project with modular design and compatible function, made sense for one person to print multiples of a single board. If someone wanted this for themselves, they are welcome to the work file and print as many as you like. I would think if someone is printing there own projects, They wouldn't need my limited knowledge, lack of experience, and unreasonable ideas anyway. So any help or nay says to a common goal would be appreciated.

In the above stated scenario I'm attempting to make a 3 or 4 multi bay jvs supergun fanckenkit out of my 55" Samsung with a Portrait/Landscape stand. ?(

the current A/v switch solution is a Vga 4 way switch. there are 4-way switches with ps2 and other connectors that could be modded for audio L and R. And you cant argue with 20 bucks. you may be able to use a vga 4-way switch for an 31k cab. have a bunch of 246s or 256s out side a new net city?

i would like game switching to be : 1. Power off PCB A, 2. turn A/V selector switch, 3. Power on PCB B

here is a project i found where this guy made a 15k 8 way switch. Its a good read, informative until the thread is derailed by a scan line debate.....
there are scart switches for consoles..

the console controller condenser could be installed into this wired set up, or in a candy cab with a jamma condenser, or ideally : All the home systems inside a boxed table/dresser, with multi carts. Bvm/Wega on the tale top with a astro city control panel. I personally dont like having a bunch of systems out and visible. i pull them out of the closet when played. would love to hide them inside furniture with a stealth build.

Last edited:
Got it, you have good idea there with this. Can see some good use for it, keep working at it.

TLDR : Your making/want a condenser board/setup of some sort? Please share your thoughts
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SO, I've seen on the board that there are a few people making/interested in wire condensing multi console/Pcb setups. Assuming my self to be on the lower end of the knowledge tier, I'm Interested in the solutions and ideas you all have come up with so far.

If your planning to distribute a multi controller/AV/Power/console/Pcb selector thingyambob i would like to share some of design ideas/request. it might be nothing but maybe it helps.

Modular : An all in one board solution for controllers, AV, and power, for 15 different consoles or pcb's at one time is nice. But limits the functionality to a one solution board for one set up type.

Separate board modules for different controller, A/V, and power setup would make for a more versatile solution. the end user could combine the specific boards for their own different than anyone's setup.

Stackable : Some people want every console ntm hooked up to one tv. Some want 4 in a box. Some want 1pcb in a Cab and 3 outside on a shelf. Some want 8 pcb in a standing cab. some want 3 Jvs to a tv.
Make your Modular Controller, A/V, Power boards Stackable. People can adjust to the size and particulars of their project. A 2in1, 3in1, etc that can be chained to the users liking.

A identical designed, stacking board could lower the project boards printing cost for the end user?

Compatibility : If there are more than a few people designing a solution why not design with compatibility of others projects in mind? I'm probably going to buy every ones projects they offer anyway ;) , but would like the options to mix and match peoples solutions.

I may like jim bob's control condenser over joe snuffy's board. but like Sunffy's 15k A/v switch over Bob's Jvs Switch or scart switch. If each board design was modular, compatible, and served a specific need. We wouldn't end up with 5 different all in one solutions. Each with different benefits and limitations, that could not be switch out for another.

Reduce wires and plugs with prejudice : Get as many leads to one plug. there are too many wires behind my tv and in project boxes. if your using 2 15db connectors switch them out for a 37db connector. your using a Rj45 plug, 2x usb, and a 15db, combine them all too a 37db plug. jamma to 37 db etc. must hide gross wires <X you can fit 2x Nes, 2x Snes, 2x Ps1, and Usb on one db37 connector.

Powerless controller condenser and AV switch Board : If it docent require power, please don't run power to these boards. i think this would allow for more versatile placement and would less restrictive the end users setup placement.

Last edited:
Back