What's new

nesjess

Student
Reaction score
I had posted about this cab over on KLOV, but figured I'd repost here where it's more relevant. I know candy cabs and NACs are nothing new, so I hope you guys don't mind me sharing. It's my first and only candy cab and I've been having a lot of fun playing with its versatility and coming up with custom art ideas.

BACK STORY

This cab popped up on CL about 5 mins away from me. I bought it untested since the power cord had been cut off. This is originally a Kingsley/COS candy cab from his infamous bulk sale. In hindsight, I should have bought the second one the seller had, but oh well. Replaced the power cord, didn't fire up. Replaced the fuse on the PS, it fired up. Months past as I was in the process of moving and I considered selling the project altogether. I decided to keep it and glad that I did.

RESTORATION

I'd say it's about 50% restored. Only painted the marquee/speaker/bezel and restored the control panel. CPO is repro from GameOnGrafix. I was originally going to get matte finish and have it under some plexi, but went with the gloss finish. Still have the back side and coin door area to sand/repaint and apply repro side art. I got a new marquee cut at a local plastics store. It's not identical to the original marquee, but it's good enough for me.

CURRENTLY RUNNING

Vertical shmups via Dreamcast-to-JAMMA box. I'm working on putting together some custom Ikaruga art to fill in the blanks. More pictures and updates to come as I get to them.

PICS FROM WHEN I PICKED IT UP

IMG_6833.jpg

IMG_6837.jpg

IMG_6839.jpg

IMG_6841.jpg

IMG_6840.jpg

IMG_6842.jpg

IMG_6838.jpg

Last edited:
Custom Cut Marquee

I had researched and saw that FrancoB doesn't make these anymore so I decided to get it cut myself. Got specs from Mattosborn on KLOV who has an original. I didn't use the same cap screw placement, but whatevs. It cost about $50 to make.

Specs:
13-9/16" high
bottom width 18-1/2"
top width 17"
Top corners have 3/4" radii

attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks nice! Where did you get your hardware used for the CP?

This is awesome and exactly what I had in mind for the project showcase section!! Keep the updates coming!

Looks nice! Where did you get your hardware used for the CP?
The joysticks are the original Sanwas that came with it. I should replace them.
Green and pink OBSF-30s from Funbient.
Yellow OBSF-24s from Paradise Arcade.
Control Panel Nuts and Bolts from Jasen's Customs.

Nice work @nesjess :thumbup: I'm currently doing a partial resto on a NAC as well. I'm wondering what paint / color you used as I'm having a hard time finding a match

Nice work @nesjess :thumbup: I'm currently doing a partial resto on a NAC as well. I'm wondering what paint / color you used as I'm having a hard time finding a match
I'm usually anal about those things, but we had just moved and we just had our third kid so I don't have the time or energy. Haha.

Just used Rustoleum Automotive Gloss White and Gloss Black spray cans from Home Depot. It had decent reviews so I just went with it. The white looks pretty spot on as it doesn't look that different from the other parts I haven't painted. Though, it's hard to tell as some parts have yellowed or are super dirty/worn from being in service.

To prep, just did usual sand/clean/dry. Then painted a couple light coats at a time. It didn't turn out perfect as some parts still had wrinkles I had to retouch so I could have prepped a little better. But it looks great overall and I'm happy with the results.

Thanks :thumbup: I'm pretty sure I won't find Rustoleum over here :( I too went with a car paint (Multona 0008) which is what Monouchi used for his Egrets but it's way too yellow so it's back to hunting. I have a resto thread over at AO but I'll post here as well.

Thanks :thumbup: I'm pretty sure I won't find Rustoleum over here :( I too went with a car paint (Multona 0008) which is what Monouchi used for his Egrets but it's way too yellow so it's back to hunting. I have a resto thread over at AO but I'll post here as well.
Sorry, didn't see you're in Sweden. Hopefully, you can find something equivalent or better. Good luck!

Maybe someone could send you a few bottles?

Awesome restoration ! Congrats !

Maybe someone could send you a few bottles?
That'd be awesome but I'm not sure if they allow pressured cans in the mail and postage would probably be a killer :/ Gonna try finding something locally first. Shouldn't be impossible.

Here's the marquee art I slapped together for Ikaruga. Nothing fancy. Just found a wallpaper, added the "IKARUGA" text above the Japanese lockup and then a Treasure logo in the bottom left corner. I think it looks pretty sweet. I'm now working on an instruction strip with different elements of what is already out there. Love the look of this game.

IMG_1375.jpg

IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_1379.jpg

IMG_1384.jpg

Thanks guys!

I just finished up the Ikaruga instruction strip. Basically combined the game instructions and "techniques" that are usually displayed separately so it's all in one place. I used the same font throughout where possible for consistency and readability.

Both the marquee and strip are available for download in my sig. Please note the marquee was made to fit my custom marquee. Not sure if it will work on an OEM one since it has a slot I think.

Ikaruga_Strip.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job! I have an Egret 2 that I'd like to restore to pristine condition. It's in okay shape now. These kind of threads are inspiring.

Back