What's new

idc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So we're currently working on the possibility of restoring keys to dead CPS2 B-boards.

Eduardo Cruz (edcross) has posted a little about it on his blog here:

http://arcadehacker.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/cps2-project.html

Besides l_oliveira, edcross, and myself, there are also a number of other individuals whom are close to the MAME project and are familiar with decapping and reverse engineering working on it.

More news when we have it.

It seems they finally did it! saw the announcement at the neo-geo forums, but I'm not sure the thread can be linked here.

Thanks to all guys involved in this.

Does the key rewriting put them 100% back in the state before they suicided ?

I'm asking, because I'm currently looking for a dead CPS2 B board for the Multicart and I don't want to sacrifice a working board.
But if this does what I'm asking above, then I might as well just grab the cheapest alive board and kill it.

Yup, fully restores the key and battery operation.
My buddy showed me a Mars Matrix he restored, he also showed me writing a null key which suicides the board again. ;)

Yup, fully restores the key and battery operation.My buddy showed me a Mars Matrix he restored, he also showed me writing a null key which suicides the board again. ;)
Nice !!
So people don't have to feel bad anymore for killing working boards :)

I'm one of the testers. For whatever reason I can restore keys to any rev 6 or 7 pcb but I can't restore them to rev 3 through 5. It's frustrating especially since everyone else in testing has gotten all pcbs to restore. :P

I think I need to make a new wire harness but I simply don't have time right now.

I'm one of the testers. For whatever reason I can restore keys to any rev 6 or 7 pcb but I can't restore them to rev 3 through 5. It's frustrating especially since everyone else in testing has gotten all pcbs to restore. :P

I think I need to make a new wire harness but I simply don't have time right now.
Do the keys get restored through the Jamma connector?

Do the keys get restored through the Jamma connector?
Nope. You need to build a programming jig. I'm sure they will release all of the proper info when they want it to go public.

I hope they do, because I'm currently hunting down untouched PCBs ... for slaughtering :D

I was wondering though, do the same games have the same key? Or does my copy of MVC have a different key than someone elses MVC cart ?

The key is different between games and regions. Sometimes different revisions in the same region have the same key, sometimes they don't.

And can you calculate the key for a specific cart, once it suicided ?

I have the keys in the programmer.

So there is a fixed set of keys ?

What I'm asking is, if (let's say) all EU copies of Marvel vs. Capcom have the same key.

What I'm asking is, if (let's say) all EU copies of Marvel vs. Capcom have the same key.
Same game, same region, same key.

Different game, different key.

Same game, different region, MAYBE different key.

Hope that clears it up, and yes I believe the folks here have ALL the keys for all the games now. ;)

Same game, same region, same key.
Different game, different key.

Same game, different region, MAYBE different key.

Hope that clears it up, and yes I believe the folks here have ALL the keys for all the games now. ;)
Thank you, that clears it up perfectly ! :)

Back