What's new
J

jassin000

Some of you may have noticed the ridiculous "5K Kandy Klub" signature I've been sporting lately...
I'm poking fun at myself sure, but I wanted to tell the full story behind it.

So without further delay, may I proudly present my adventures in JAMMA with the Vewlix cab.

It all started with me getting one of these...
IMG_3653.JPG

I did my best to detail the entire purchase/shipping process along with pictures here. :thumbup:

I made the decision to buy a Vewlix knowing it was a JVS cab, despite my having no intention of ever playing a single JVS board on it.
My choice came down to one major factor, CRT maintenance!

I owned I Sega Blast City not long ago, I really loved the look of that machine.
What I hated was that chassis, the geometry problems of the tube and its eventual failure. ;(

With my mind made up, and my order for 3,050$... That's one Taito Vewlix C and one JAMMA-to-JVS adapter placed... I impatiently waited.

This is the JAMMA-to-JVS adapter I received USPS a few days after the cab...
jvs_650.png

You may recognize it as the River Serive Japan JAMMA-to-JVS adapter, its only identification is the word "JVS Console V2.01" stamped on the lower left-hand side.
I used this converter board in conjunction with a xRGB mini "Framemeister", from the output of the scaler I ran directly to the DVI-D input of the stock Vewlix C monitor.

The image quality was very good (@1360x768) its what the xRGB family is known for.
Unfortunately the mini is also known for adding some lag, about 16ms to be exact and this is in addition to any lag present in your LCD.

Now I've never found the conversion lag of the mini to be a major problem, maybe its because I'm not a tournament level competitive gamer.
What did bother me to no end about this setup... Input lag! X(

The River Service board needs to take input from the JAMMA edge and encode it for JVS, and some boards (like the Namco or Konami) just do this better then others.
Well let me be the first to tell you, RS sucks big time! :cursing:

This revelation pretty much killed my vision for how this whole thing was going to work.
I had to think of an alternative, something of high quality and that wouldn't require hacking up my new expensive cab.

After doing some reading...
lv-nolike-vx-jamma.jpg

I was pretty disappointment about everything... However, I decided I've come this far, I might as well see the official Taito solution in action for myself. ;(

I starting by emailing Taito-Tech directly... Asking about a wide variety of replacement (I need things like locks etc) Vewlix parts, one of them being the official JAMMA kit.
The very first email I received back from a man identifying himself as Yugo brought to light another item I was interested in...

Hello Jason,

Thanks for your inquiry.
We have new LCD monitor kit compatible all VEWLIX models as attached.

N94R0442A VEWLIX LCD monitor kit (NEW TYPE)@JPY162,800-In stock

Best regards,

Yugo
Taito Corporation

lcd.png

A follow-up email confirmed that not only was this new monitor better in every single (yup better then the Vewlix Diamond) way then my existing screen.
It also confirmed my greatest fear with a replacement part of this expense, availability!
The new monitor was a limited run, Taito has no future plans to produce anymore, what they have in stock is all that's left PERIOD. 8o

I rushed to place a order for both the new LCD, and what I viewed as an experimental JAMMA kit.
Taito demands bank transfer as form of payment for all orders, after signing/returning the purchase invoice, I first sent 195,400Y (1,719$) for the LCD, then 43,600Y (384$) for the JAMMA kit.

The order was shipped out via EMS Japan, 4 speedy days later my parts arrived to my door!
IMG_20160306_100855%25257E2.jpg

I installed the monitor so quickly and easily, I didn't stop and take proper pictures along the way.
I was really just a total drop in replacement/swap, the weight being a LCD was very manageable even solo!

So I've finally arrived at something that's a joy to play, and stunning to behold!
Stunning price too, at 5,153$!!!!!11 8|

I'll put up some shots of different games running on the LCD eventually, for now I'll finish this post with a video of Final Fight in action. <3
IMG_20160306_100225.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Was the input lag really that bad on the original monitor in the C? I thought it was supposed to be sub 16ms?

The old monitor wasn't replaced for lag... When I'm taking about the lag I couldn't live with, that's the control lag from encoding JVS.

The monitor was replaced for a ton of reasons not related to lag.
1) Resolution, original was 1360x768, new 1920x1080
2) Back light, original was reg LCD, new LED (better blacks)
3) HDMI, original was DVI-D/VGA, new HDMI/DVI-X/VGA.

I used the JAMMA kit with both monitors, the old one was not as clear/sharp looking.
The colors didn't pop as much, and the blacks were more grey.

The lag improved when I moved to the Taito JAMMA kit scaler, it's VGA 640x480 output.
Closer to the xRGB-3 at about 2ms, thanks to its analog only output.

"5K Kandy Klub"
What J said, but double for me since I got 2 C cabs. The expenditure is insane, but I really love these cabs and I have no regrets whatsoever.

Only bad thing about my recent purchase is that now the wife is forcing me to sell one of my Blast City cabs to make up some cash and space.
Good thing I havent told her I am buying a DariusBurst cab :evil:

Wowwww.. this is an Epic post.. Many moons ago, I was searching for a Vewlix.. I started researching and found out about the different monitors on the Viewlix L,F, C, D.. I then came across a webpage that talked about a brand new LCD display that was way superior than what was on the Viewlix D but the down side was going to be 2k for the LCD. I was heading the same path as you but the more I thought about the total cost (Vewlix and new Taitio LCD IPS) the less attractive that setup looked...

The Vewlix was going to be used for HD games, mostly fighting, I am a CRT kind of person and anything 15khz, 24khz, 31khz would be on CRTs period. I was curious to know how an XRGB mini would look like on an LCD and I got one. I plugged in the XRGB mini and tested on a few LCD monitors and LCD TV. I will never play games 31khz and bellow on an LCD period and I placed the XRGB mini for trade. I just do not like how the CPS2, NES, MVS and all sprite games look on LCD using the XRGB mini; this is a personal taste and not to criticize others.

I started reseaching what people considered to be the best CRT for gaming and come to a few articles and they mentioned the Sony FW900. I started looking for one of those. I looked at ebay with insane price, over 1k. 3 months later, a Sony FW900 and an HP equivalent to the FW900 showed up in my area on a Sunday. The price $200 each, I contacted the seller and told him that I would get the monitors Monday morning and so I did. I plugged in the Sony FW900 and fired up Street Fighter 4 and OMG, I then sow what the people were talking about.. I eventually plugged in my consoles with an HDFury2 and the Wii U games look incredible on the FW900. The only drawback that I found on the FW900 is that it is a small monitor and I need something like 32".

To me the perfect picture and close to zero input lag is what I am looking for on whatever is going to be my 32" LCD/OLED or whatever it will be. I would be very interested in knowing what is the actual input lag on that monitor and how does it compare to something like PG279Q and the FW900 on picture quality. What really got me exited is the Dell OLED monitor with a price tag of 5k.. but I am very sure that in a couple of years it will be less than 2k. We need to see the reviews and the actual input lag on the Dell OLED.

https://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/us...updates-latitude-and-industry-leading-monitor

Edit - question that i would like to ask.. the new LCD, can it be mounted by itself, VESA or any other means if you do not have a cab?

Last edited:
When I swap out my LCDs I will take lots of pics of the process. I think the display has a vesa type screw hole patern in the back, but Jassin will be able to clarify. I haven't opened my LCD box yet, I'll take a look tomorrow.

OLED displays have pretty bad image retention problems, dont know if thats been solved.

What manufacturers need to do is focus on SED/FED displays again that gives us all the benefits of CRTs with the advantage of being relative to flat panel displays in size.

If I could figure out a way to pick up that Blast Cab from you...Derick2K :thumbsup: New York is only 8 hours away.

Also, Jassin000 thank you for detailing your adventure on getting the cabinet and your set-up. I was wondering how the picture quality looked on the stock screen. And glad to here that Taito themselves were responsive and shipped quickly.

Also...I just read up on these SED/FED screens why aren't these things being produced or available? It looks like the solution us arcade fans need and any movie fan would love to get.

Last edited:
...I started reseaching what people considered to be the best CRT for gaming and come to a few articles and they mentioned the Sony FW900....
wow, really? I have one of those sitting out in my garage for years, it never occurred to me that it'd be a good gaming monitor.

so @jassin000 what are you doing with the old monitor?

Last edited:
so @jassin000 what are you doing with the old monitor?
I'm selling it of course! ;)

I haven't made a thread yet, mainly because I haven't gotten good pictures of it.
But yea, its complete and ready to drop into any Vewlix cab; Includes powersupply, monitor, remote board and all cables/screws to attach it.

500$ not including shipping, I think that's a deal for someone... Considering its working perfectly and a replacement monitor is 1,700$ (while supply's last).
I would also be open to trades, I'm looking for some game boards still.

Jassin, that's a good price for the screen. I should try sell the 2 I will have, but I think I am going to repurpose them for something.

@jassin000 @Derick2k

If you guys are selling your monitors, let me know. I have a VewLix L that needs the better monitor from the "C" (which im assuming is what you have for sale)

let me know!

If you guys are selling your monitors, let me know.
Sure thing, I think SNK is buying Jassin's. I will have 2 spares, I can sell you one and I will keep the other as back up, just in case. I will let you know as soon as I make the replacement.

If I could figure out a way to pick up that Blast Cab from you...Derick2K New York is only 8 hours away.
If you are willing to pick it up I can give ya a good deal and I can also throw in all the extras and upgrades I was planning on installing. I will send you a PM with pics later in the week when I have a chance. I hate tax season, work keeps me super busy with accounting stuff.

If I could figure out a way to pick up that Blast Cab from you...Derick2K New York is only 8 hours away.
If you are willing to pick it up I can give ya a good deal and I can also throw in all the extras and upgrades I was planning on installing. I will send you a PM with pics later in the week when I have a chance. I hate tax season, work keeps me super busy with accounting stuff.
How quick do you need to sell?

I only ask because I'm going to have put some cash away for it and somehow explain to the wife (with our 3 month old) why I need to take a road trip and my plans might get kiboshed right there...I would love to know the details anyhow and see the pictures because maybe I can work something out with a buddy of mine.

Anyway, regardless of whether I get it or not - I'm sure you won't have to wait long to move it along. We can discuss on PM.

IMG_20160307_185455.jpg

IMG_20160307_185557.jpg

Shared privately with SNK, posted here for information/reference.

Was the input lag really that bad on the original monitor in the C? I thought it was supposed to be sub 16ms?
It's been reported to be at 8ms, the model number is TA32H07 and the remote PCB is stamped "Sanwa"

If you guys are selling your monitors, let me know.
Sure thing, I think SNK is buying Jassin's. I will have 2 spares, I can sell you one and I will keep the other as back up, just in case. I will let you know as soon as I make the replacement.
Yeah,, I am buying Jassin's..I need to see how the monitor looks like and performs..
I might end up making a poor's man Viewlix with one of those Xtension or something and a fight stick 8o 8o 8o 8o Sadly, I can not justify spending 5k on that cool setup :love:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-T...403708?hash=item280cdb807c:g:54EAAOSwFqJWjJ2Z

http://www.recroommasters.com/Xtension_Sit_Down_Pedestal_Arcade_Cabinet_p/rm-xt-sd-ped-f.htm

Last edited:
Back