What's new

doozer

Unobtanium
Professional
Reaction score
Anyone got a lead on replacement speakers for an Outrun 2 SP cabinet?
Pretty sure most of the Sega cabs from the same era use the same speakers (Initial D etc).

The original model number is 12D140J.
They are 3" x 5" 8 ohm, and from what I've read, rated at 20W.

I've found plenty of TV style speakers, but they all seem to have a maximum rating of 5W. So they probably wouldn't last real long.

There's plenty of room in the cabinet for bigger speakers, but the mounting points would need to match the 4 corners of the 3x5".

Any ideas?
Matt.

Yeah, but as I said only 5W. They will blow pretty quick I reckon.

I’m thinking I might try a speaker repair place as it appears to just be the paper cone that’s deteriorated.

Thanks Nem. Looks like they are currently listed for $100 on the website.

Interesting that they say they are 16 ohms @ 8W.

Going to speak to the speaker repair guy first as he is local, but thanks for the link.

That's a negative on repairing the speakers. Apparently, the cones aren't available as spares anymore.

Bump but I am having the same problem with my Le Mans 24 machine. The original front speakers were blown. I've replaced them a few times with a couple of Panasonic TV Speakers that have the same exact mounting holes, but most of them definitely don't sound very good unless you put in the OEM ones (12D140J or the Gullbox ones)

The best sounding pair I have are these, which is actually 16 ohm and sound good but lack the lows of the original 12D140J speakers brand new, and even the Gullbox ones. The original speakers didn't have much treble when new. There are Model 3 games that use the front speakers for music (on CN 8, as used in ECA and Harley-Davidson), though I have wired music from the DSB to the front as well by modding the harness on the machine some.
https://www.parts-express.com/EAS12D138B-Speaker-299-4262?quantity=1

Wonder where I can get brand new 3x5 speakers that sound identical to the gullbox ones...

Back