What's new

thedirtyscreech

Student
Reaction score
So the title is the real question, but here's the background. I picked up a 4-player Blitz 99 cab for the game room. Don't get me wrong; Blitz is a ton of fun. But shmups are my main jam, and I already have a vertical cab for that. I only have a few friends who like shmups, though, and my wife is way more into beat 'em ups and sports games. So, I'd like to make this cab into a multi while still utilizing the original hardware. I'm not looking to make a MAME machine, but am looking to utilize a Mister with a JAMMA board (Jammix is the one I have) and a JAMMA switcher to switch between the two. For the Mister JAMMA board, I'm good. I can utilize the CPS2 kick harness connector for players 3 and 4 and the JAMMA edge for players 1 & 2 as well as video, audio, etc. So I'm wondering if anyone knows, on the Blitz 99 PCB (Seattle), can I utilize the JAMMA connector for video/audio/power/players 1 & 2/etc. and still use the player 3 and player 4 auxiliary harnesses, or if using the JAMMA edge rules out using the p3/p4 harnesses. If I can mix JAMMA and aux harnesses, I could just splice the CPS 2 kick harness from the Mister and the p3/p4 harnesses from the Blitz PCB (using diodes for protection) and have the spliced ends wired up to the p3/p4 buttons and levers. Ignore any potential 49-way joystick incompatibilities for now as that may not matter since the Mister can potentially deal with that, and if it can't, I can always swap in 8-way levers. If you know for certain that the mister can/can't use 49-way joysticks for 8-way games, I'd love to hear that ahead of time to know if I need to swap out the 49-way sticks.

Normally, I'd just go wire it up and check it out, but a few things preclude me from that. First of all, the Blitz 99 cab is currently in my buddy's garage while I make room (needed to act fast on a great deal and he offered to store it for a while). Second, I don't have any spare JAMMA cables ATM, so I'd need to wait to get one of those and I'll be out of town for a few weeks well before it arrives. Third, I'd not only need to rewire the controls for P1, P2, the coin mechs, but also the video to use JAMMA instead of a normal VGA connector. Since that's a lot of work that could potentially not work for me, I figured I'd ask the community to see if anyone knows the answer first.

I don't recall the exact topology of the harnesses, but from what I remember the 48-way joysticks would be tricky to Jamma Switch... or get a Mister Adapter for...
But I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time according to my wife... :)

I don't recall the exact topology of the harnesses, but from what I remember the 48-way joysticks would be tricky to Jamma Switch... or get a Mister Adapter for...
But I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time according to my wife... :)
So, I think I need to switch to 8-way joysticks if I switch to JAMMA. The interface just doesn’t have the pins for a 49-way. And then flip the right dip switches. But I’m fine with losing the precision if it gains me the Mister and a good JAMMA switcher (riddledtv.com). But I think I found a thread on arcade controls where someone did this. It was blitz 99 and nba jam, but similar situation where JAMMA was used for 1p/2p and the kick harnesses were used for 3p/4p. And it required switching to 8-way joysticks because 1) JAMMA doesn’t have the pinout for a 49-way, and 2) NBA JAM only used 8-way sticks. And they used a JAMMA switcher to switch. I think they did what I was talking about with diodes and splicing the 3p/4p harnesses. TBF, those were both Midway harnesses, but the mister won’t actually care about which pins on the cps2 kick harness are being used, so it also shouldn’t matter.

Back