What's new
@Odwalla Don't sweat it man. Post what you've been developing. This is Arcade PROJECTS. People here love to see what others are working on. You'll get honest feedback but everyone is cool.

@Mrhide It does indeed give good results. One tip I’d suggest is if you modeled with any rounded edges/fillets consider removing them for a model you intend to vapor smooth, as the edges get rounded for you. The longer the model is in the vapor, the more rounded hard edges get.
Hey @West just curious did you use the model I posted or another? How’d you go with that bottom overhang part?

@Ziggy Cheetos Dust I ended up modeling my own ashtray as it’s a pretty simple model and I wanted all the source curves if I wanted to tweak it down the line.

For the overhang I printed with tree supports and then sanded that area nice and smooth. Then vapor smoothed the whole thing. Zero layer lines and the overall surface is glass smooth.

I think i like that one
AD5918BC-CD92-4425-A838-2B06F11DDB1C.jpeg

13FBC6D2-7D70-4B21-80C7-49BEC4CA3199.jpeg

well I learned a few things in tinkercad today and ... voilà:
ash.jpg

they are printing now ... will post the results and if ok will post the remixes!
Sweet!!! will you share the stls? hehe

Sweet!!! will you share the stls? hehe

Here's the Taito one. Print with support. 20% infill.
Let me do more tests for SEGA cause I am still not happy with it.

@Ziggy Cheetos Dust : ask your buddy if he's ok for me to post these remix on thingiverse? want to give him credit of course.

Attachments

• Taito AshTray.zip
    212.6 KB · Views: 83
If I may make a suggestion, print with 100% infill if you’re going to spend the time. Trust.

The ashtray feels so much better as solid plastic rather than a hollow shell. The weight and feel makes it much more like a real arcade ashtray. Set the print off before bed and it’ll be done by morning.

@West what printer and filament are you using for ABS? Are you using an enclosure? I've stayed away from ABS since people make it out to be this big problem that warps and smells, but the smoothed prints make me want to give it a try.

@notsonic I have a Sovol SV01pro and my favorite ABS is Polymaker Polylite ABS.

When I was first researching printing with ABS I encountered the same thing as you, people saying how hard it was to print with, smell, warping, needing an enclosure, all that. Honestly I just decided to jump in, encounter the problems for myself, and I discovered it wasn’t all that problematic.

I haven’t found the need to print with an enclosure (bought one and it’s still in the box). My printer is in the basement where the ambient temp is between 60-70 on average. I definitely encountered a few warping issues but solved them with a glue stick layer on the glass or pei bed (heated to 210) and printing with a brim. I print that particular ABS with a nozzle temp at 95, no cooling, and I lay down the first layer at 10mm a sec, nice and slow. After the first layer I speed up to 60mm. Smell was a non issue I found and I would have noticed as my basement isn’t the most well ventilated of spaces.

Honestly after dialing it all in I haven’t had any significant problems with ABS and have printed a number of those ashtrays and other parts without trouble.

What are you printing with?

Thanks for the info. I have a Prusa MK3s+. They want like $400 for their enclosure, but there's little tents on amazon for like $40. I mostly print with PET. Polymaker's PET is pretty nice.

Maybe I'll just give it a shot and see what happens.

Well after trying a couple of times to print it as "holes", I must say that printing SEGA as solid is the way to go.
it's not perfect but hey, give it a try and let me know what you think?! (support required)

sega_ash.jpg

sega_ash2.jpg

Attachments

• Sega AshTray.zip
    320 KB · Views: 48
Thanks for the info. I have a Prusa MK3s+. They want like $400 for their enclosure, but there's little tents on amazon for like $40. I mostly print with PET. Polymaker's PET is pretty nice.

Maybe I'll just give it a shot and see what happens.
I would recommend looking into the IKEA Lack enclosures, I built one for my printer a while back and couldn't be happier! The most expensive part was sourcing nice high quality plexi of the right size and thickness. https://www.printables.com/model/22008-double-stack-ikea-lack-enclosure-v2-works-w-mmu2s

Thank you! if he wants his name to appear, let me know else I've just mentioned "this forum" as the originator. I've included the plain and namco one, to his credit, if again that is ok with him.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5950531
Cool thanks. You could put Hamo as the creator of you have a chance. I’ll find out if he’s on thingyverse as well.

Those Lack enclosures are pretty sweet. Might have to build myself one of them.

Back