What's new

nam9

Champion
Reaction score
So this has been a back burner project for far too long (starting back in 2018) and finally completed:

IMG_2468.jpg

As titled, this is a clone TTX2 system that actually contains NO original TTX2 components, but is instead built around a TTX3 IO for JVS, and paired with an IONA IO to handle input.
I can probably claim this to be the smallest X2 build - the SilverStone SG13 case is wonderfully compact, but of course a challenge to fit a full sized ATX PSU into.

IMG_2482.jpg IMG_2471.jpg IMG_2472.jpg
From left to right: Front panel USB ports repurposed for IONA USB input. Test and service buttons. TTX3 IO hardwired to negate need for daughter board.
(Of course the security dongle is completely redundant in this case...)

I did stay faithful to the X2 spec inasmuch as it is a LGA 775 system with Intel G41 chipset. Liberties were of course taken at every opportunity...
  • Foxconn G41S-K Micro-ATX motherboard
  • 400W Corsair PSU (lots of extra molex connectors snipped...)
  • Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33Ghz E8600 processor
  • 2GB RAM (constrained by single slot design)
  • XFX Geforce 7950GT Extreme (passive dual-slot heatsink swapped out for active cooling)
  • WD 240GB Green SSD
  • TTX3 IO (minus daughterboard) JVS only!
  • MP07-IONA-US JVS Interface
  • Pair of Hori RAP V3 SA sticks with custom artwork by GStick Art (Instagram)
  • One large custom Space Invaders decal to hide the fact that I built a mid to late 2000s desktop PC...
IMG_2474.jpg IMG_2477.jpg IMG_2475.jpg

One neat feature of the G41S-K motherboard is that I am able to set a custom Bios splash screen so I went that extra distance.

TTX2_Splash.jpg

Main issue is that between resolution changes and the speed at which the SSD boots into Nikos multi - you don't actually get to see it :|

Speaking of which, my main struggle with this system was to boot into Nikos Multidrive from non-native hardware.
I ended up running a standard WinXP install on my chosen hardware, using a Hirens Boot disk to copy out all the correct driver files, and then Double Drivers to slip everything into the replacement drive...
>Thanks @Niko for your help there with regedit... if you remember.

Then I just had to manually locate every driver file with an invisible mouse... in Japanese.

IMG_0528.jpg

Another interesting issue for me - I initially tested the IONA with a TTX2 JVS adapter (G4S306-IO). That refused to work.
Switching out for the TTX3 IO, same wirings etc and JVS worked without issue...

IMG_2464.jpg

So there you have it. Form over function as always :thumbup:

Last edited:
Back