What's new

deibit

Champion
Reaction score
This is my third Spectrum project. I have as well one ZX Zpectrum 128K Toastrack (ny parents bought it for me back in the 80s) and one ZX Spectrum 128K +2 (both unmodified)

This time I'm going to restore am Spectrum with rubber keys I got one on eBay untested.. condition wasn't that bad

9aUrthl.jpg

The motherboard is a 16K Issue-Two variant from 1982.

The good thing is that there are sockets to upgrade to 48K. The motherboard looks in pretty good condition, but I'm not going to use it for my project (more in the next posts) :)

FubOhPm.jpg

The first thing is to refurb the keyboard.

To open the keyboard, one needs to removed the black aluminum top plate, that is glued to the case. The plate was in really good condition, but had some small dents, someone tried to removed it by using an screwdriver (ugg).

I went to the bathroom and took my professional glue remover (aka hair drier), and with a little bit of patience removed the plate.

The rubber keyboard was in a very good condition, so I'm going to keep it. I could possibly keep the plate and the membrane they looked quite good, but I got a replacement plate and a new membrane

I cleaned the plastic case with warm water and soap, and used Vinylex to give the final touch.

Then mounted the new membrane, the new plate and the cleaned rubber keys.

I think it looks quite good, the one I got was in good shape, but now is perfect:

qKqFsVz.jpg

(To be continued...)

Last edited:
Wow that looks like new :)
I had a 48k Speccy too, was my very first computer, used to spend hours typing games code into it for it to crash when I run it and lose everything I just typed. fun times

I must say that cleaning old cases with chemicals, can be dangerous for physical integrity :D

Ib59CgV.jpg

I should never forget to wear rubber gloves :)

Nice job and jeez, use some plastic gloves like these ones:
wg-side-block-top-5-latex-free-gloves.jpg

Does the original m/b still work? I could do with a donor to repair one of my Speccies..

Back