What's new

JasenHicks

Professional
Reaction score

CPS3 Metal Protective Case/Enclosure.

The Capcom Play System 3, also known as the CPS3, is an incredibly popular arcade platform amongst arcade hobbyists. With recent developments such as the Darksoft CPS3 MultiKit and other mods available with SCSI2SD, real arcade hardware use at home and in tournaments has never been easier. I designed the first CPS3 case years ago to offer a nice alternative to the clear acrylic sheet protectors I had offered in the past. The design was simple, clean, and offered an easy way to protect your hardware. In 2021, I updated the case to include:
  • Added a spot for the Darksoft MultiKit DipSwitch PCB to be mounted internally and accessible to the outside of the case.
  • Added a spot for an HDMI Port to be mounted when used with the CPS2DigitalAV mods and a 2x 12mm pushbutton to control it.
  • Made the case taller to support the DarkSoft Multi SIMMS that required more clearance.
What you will receive: CPS3 Case with basic assembly hardware.

Case Details:
  • Cold Rolled Steel, powder coated finish.
  • All graphics are digitally printed direct to the case. No stickers!
  • Supports the DigitalAV with HDMI port and 2 12mm Button Cutouts.
  • Supports the Darksoft CPS3 Ultra Simms and has a mount for the dip switches on top/front of the case next to the test button cutout.
  • Cart cutout is clean without any additional hardware for brackets/etc. (I am a big fan of removing the cart for transport!)
  • Mounting points with access to the SCSI2SD if used.
  • Access to JAMMA Edge, Audio Output, and Kick Harness.
  • Rubber feet on the bottom.
  • Simple two piece design.
What you will need to provide:
  1. CPS3 System itself.
  2. HDMI Port (optional). They are a panel mount HDMI connector by Poyiccot. Nothing fancy, but they will work and sit nicely in the case. That’s all that matters.
    https://www.amazon.com/Poyiccot-Str...&keywords=poyiccot+hdmi&qid=1632044311&sr=8-5
  3. SCS2SD (Optional). Here’s the one I use and modeled the cutouts after.
    https://itead.cc/product/scsi2sd/
  4. 2x 12mm momentary pushbuttons (Optional). These can be any you want to use as long as they fit a 12mm circular cutout.
  5. CPSDigitalAV kit (Optional).
  6. HDMI cables for the Digital AV Kit (Optional).
I do these in "runs" so I can keep manufacturing costs down. Typically, minimum is 5 per run of the same color. I will post updates here when runs are open.

Find it here: https://jasenscustomsarchive.com/product/cps3-case-darksoft/

Run Status: OPEN FOR ORDERS THROUGH 15 DECEMBER 2022. Production begins that day.

Note: Pictures are of the first variant. New ones that show the additional updates coming soon!

Attachments

• cps3case-2.png
    cps3case-2.png
    124.3 KB · Views: 89
  • cps3case-3.png
    cps3case-3.png
    144.1 KB · Views: 85
  • cps3case-1a.png
    cps3case-1a.png
    532.1 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Hey Jasen,
Any future plans to reproduce just the top of an original cps3 case? I have the bottom mount to mine but missing the top part. Just curious as no one offers this.

Hey Jasen,
Any future plans to reproduce just the top of an original cps3 case? I have the bottom mount to mine but missing the top part. Just curious as no one offers this.

Not at the moment. Given demand and cost of the complete case I sell, I don't think it would be economically viable to invest in the time to recreate it, prototype it, and then do a run.

Some folks have asked if I would make a CPS3 case without the BIOS Cart Slot cut out. I am happy to do it if I can get about 25 guaranteed orders. Who's interested in something like that? Let me know here by LIKING this post, or come vote in my Discord :)

How do you run a cps3 without a bios cart?

Just a reminder, the next batch of CPS3 cases that were ordered closed on 15 December. They should ship out just after the new year due to all the holidays and time off and stuff. Happy Holidays!

This run of the CPS3 cases is coming to a close. As mentioned on my Twitter/Discord I will be discontinuing these until the Summer when I return to the US permanently. I am focusing on the PFS4 launch this/next month and will be also moving, retiring, etc. If you don't want to wait until then, I would request you put the order in asap!

it's so nice and I will take the capcom trilogy later for my multi....but now in France it's hard time.

Sorry for the relative quietness from me over the past months. A lot has changed! I am back in the US, retired from the Navy, started a new career as a Senior Military Ops Analyst, bought a house, adopted more kitties, and expanded the Panzer Fight Stick line up a lot!

I have opened up CPS1, CPS2, and CPS3 case orders for the last time in 2023 for those still looking to get them. Take a look here:

https://jasenscustoms.com/collections/arcade-board-cases

Oh... I even updated my website too :)

Back